Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Finally paid me back

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar

Finally paid me back

The missus uncle borrowed 15,000 baht from me approx 2 years ago. He had been paying in installments when he had some spare baht. He sells iced coffee/cocoa type drinks on the side of his motorbike for a living.
    His fat cow of a wife pawned the land he owns to pay a gambling debt, hence why he approached us/me for the 15,000baht.
    Anyway, we hadn't received any baht from him for quite a long time, and he still owed 2000baht, so I just wrote it off, and the missus mum and dad washed their hands of him (he's actually the father in laws brother).
    So, a surprise visit from him last night to pay back the remaining 2000 baht, I'm currently at work so wasn't there, but have indicated to the missus I am going to give him the 2000 baht back and tell him thanks for paying me back, but you can have this back as a discount...Any thoughts ??

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    It would be a kind gesture, as long as you also explain to him that you are not a money lending machine.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I think you should keep the Money so he and others KNOW your not a Bank. Nice thought but just say thanks and leave it at that.
    TMTBOUND likes this.

I'll definitely make it clear that that was the first and last time due to gambling issues with his wife! !

This is the wad of 20 baht notes as final payment. Obviously been scrimping to get the 2000 baht funds together. ..

Sydney and PeteGill like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Dazza it is a lovely thought but...I would indeed buy a bottle of something and have a drink with him...if you return him the money you are setting a bad precedent.
    You have already set one by not hounding him for the payment and remember this has all been without any interest factored into it.

I know you feel sympathy for him because of his wife's disease but remember she is also watching and will just figure she can keep doing what she has and he will get what is needed from you AND at a discount.

Easy to say to him last time but when in the future he is on your doorstep in tears because someone is going to break her legs if you don't help, well it isn't easy to say No.

AND even if you do say NO you don't deserve to have the stress and i'll feelings it will cause.

Just my 2 satang good luck either way
    jontymate, Nomad and Dazza like this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

^ yep , same same but the same.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    I'd give it back Dazza and tell him he did well to pay you back, all be it after a very long time. Make it clear though, there aint no more money on the tree.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    well....i'd be keeping it business like and take it and be happy that he hasn't been charged astronomical amounts of interest like the local sharks would.

he'd know and appreciate that...if not someone could remind him....probably saved him 20k!
    Changone and Cuzzy like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Or use the 2k to take him out and get him a f@ck. Because his Wife sounds like real c#nt.
    Changone, Happy, TMTBOUND and 2 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I don't see the issue with giving it back as long as you stress you aren't a personal bank and hold true to that.

My BIL borrowed 20k to get married.....paid me back the 1st 10k on time and the 2nd 10k a few weeks later than planned but only about 4 months total after borrowing.

I told him to keep it as a wedding gift.
    That was 3 years ago and he has never asked for a penny since.

After 10years.....the family knows i will only help for legitimate reasons
    PeteGill likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    he is a adult treat him like one
    Fionn and pinecone like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I don't see the issue with giving it back as long as you stress you aren't a personal bank and hold true to that.

My BIL borrowed 20k to get married.....paid me back the 1st 10k on time and the 2nd 10k a few weeks later than planned but only about 4 months total after borrowing.

I told him to keep it as a wedding gift.
    That was 3 years ago and he has never asked for a penny since.

After 10years.....the family knows i will only help for legitimate reasons
    Seeing the stack of 20's there, he obviously struggled to put it together, I am defiantly with Paulie here... Even if it is just 500 of the 2000.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I'm also in the give it back camp. I feel sorry for the poor bugger. That's obviously a lot of money to him and he could definitely use it more than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Or use the 2k to take him out and get him a f@ck. Because his Wife sounds like real c#nt.
    Thanks for that. Needed a good laugh. 555

Also not a bad idea.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    The bloke has obviously worked his ass off over a long time to get this money to pay you back and he appears to take some pride in finally paying you back in full. The rolls of old twenties are a nice touch.
    Just giving it back for any reason would amount to being disrespectful in my book.
    It's as if you are saying "You can't pay me back". Or "You are still indebted to me".
    Buy a bottle of good scotch with it and forget it.
    Dazza likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I think you need to think wider than the immediate that is put in front of you.

The greatest gift back IMO would be helping to repair the relationship of him and his brother(FIL). 2 K may have been difficult for him to managed but it shows some integrity. That should give some 'face' currency back to the wider family and think that would be more appropriate and valuable long term.
    PeteGill, bacwaan, Nomad and 2 others like this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I asked Au about this as I see it happen in Ban ya Nang. Au spoke with her Mama on skype this evening and she said this, translated.... Don't discount and don't buy him anything as a gesture of goodwill. He got off light and he knows it. Like others have said, there's a loan shark in his community that would have cost him a sh1tload more. You take what is owed to you and nothing less otherwise you will look weak. He will appreciate your patience and he has done the right thing which is enough.
    Changone, bacwaan, Nomad and 3 others like this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    I think you need to think wider than the immediate that is put in front of you.

The greatest gift back IMO would be helping to repair the relationship of him and his brother(FIL). 2 K may have been difficult for him to managed but it shows some integrity. That should give some 'face' currency back to the wider family and think that would be more appropriate and valuable long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post
    I asked Au about this as I see it happen in Ban ya Nang. Au spoke with her Mama on skype this evening and she said this, translated.... Don't discount and don't buy him anything as a gesture of goodwill. He got off light and he knows it. Like others have said, there's a loan shark in his community that would have cost him a sh1tload more. You take what is owed to you and nothing less otherwise you will look weak. He will appreciate your patience and he has done the right thing which is enough.
    2 excellent replies here imo....you are not a bank but helped him out big time when he needed it most...you were extremely patient with him and did not cause him to lose face by chasing the debt when you were well within your rights to do so...and as others have said borrowing from a loan shark over the same period of time would have doubled that amount

you really have done enough here...but Jonty's idea would mean way more than money can buy
    Nomad, Bacon and Dazza like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    2 excellent replies here imo....you are not a bank but helped him out big time when he needed it most...you were extremely patient with him and did not cause him to lose face by chasing the debt when you were well within your rights to do so...and as others have said borrowing from a loan shark over the same period of time would have doubled that amount

you really have done enough here...but Jonty's idea would mean way more than money can buy
    You will both gain respect... you for being patient and him for making full payment. Whatever others in the community think about the length of time is irrelevant. For all they know that may have been part of your agreement, but it is only speculation on their part. To enter into discussion outside the family about being disatisfied with how long it is taking is counter productive and only leads to gossip and ridicule.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Just as an aside ... what i liked about Dazza's post is it shows not all Thais are bad in terms of loaning money and never seeing it come back. Sure there is many bad stories out there , but you can't just throw a net over a whole nation of people as so many do on forums ....
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast