Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 3 x Cyclists Killed in Chiang Mai

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

3 x Cyclists Killed in Chiang Mai

My missus was telling me about this incident yesterday in Chiang Mai where an alleged drunk driver cleaned up a pack of cyclists, the video footage as expected was horrific, I wont post that but here is the article : Car slams into Chiang Mai club cyclists, killing three | Bangkok Post: news
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Hopefully she will serve time for this ... Although I wouldn't hold my breath ...

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    I dont know if youve noticed SE but I seem to see more and more groups of cyclists in Thailand, not that there is any excuse for what this girl has done but I wonder if they have sufficient lighting from behind, I think it would be dark at 5.45am in the morning.

I presume they have checked that she wasnt on the phone at the time?

From the video footage she was also not wearing a seatbelt as she was thrown from the car.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Drunk , speeding .....

I remember this from a couple of years ago

Thai driver who knocked down and killed British couple fined just 18 | Daily Mail Online

But yes I did see a lot of cyclists during my time in CM , mostly locals rather than expats

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    yeah,saw this.

the concrete walk way is where we have met up before rivo,just up the road from mine.

i regularly see thses cyclists out and about and although often hard to see they do have the correct lighting.
    sunday morning and the cool is the time they start off in groups and head out. this lot were heading for the springs at mae kachan.

another report said she was going home after a big night out and said she'd had a sleep on the side of the road and woke and took off again when she swerved off onto the shoulder and collected them. it also said she was still in the car when paramedics attended.

facts can be quite distorted with that sort of thing though.

hopefully she'll get a decent gaol sentence out of it!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    yeah,saw this.

the concrete walk way is where we have met up before rivo,just up the road from mine.

i regularly see thses cyclists out and about and although often hard to see they do have the correct lighting.
    sunday morning and the cool is the time they start off in groups and head out. this lot were heading for the springs at mae kachan.

another report said she was going home after a big night out and said she'd had a sleep on the side of the road and woke and took off again when she swerved off onto the shoulder and collected them. it also said she was still in the car when paramedics attended.

facts can be quite distorted with that sort of thing though.

hopefully she'll get a decent gaol sentence out of it!
    The video shows the driver out of the car... with her leg pinned under the car... in obvious pain...

Still beggars belief that even when drunk you can plough into the back of a group of cyclists...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I suppose they have to say something, but this is just bizarre.......

Boonchin Sawamool, head of the Chiang Mai Sunday Cycling Club, said accidents to bicycle riders were mostly caused by drunk drivers in the early morning - the time when many revellers returned home from partying all night. He suggested cyclists should ride in the late morning to escape those drivers and on local roads to avoid speeding cars.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I suppose they have to say something, but this is just bizarre.......

Boonchin Sawamool, head of the Chiang Mai Sunday Cycling Club, said accidents to bicycle riders were mostly caused by drunk drivers in the early morning - the time when many revellers returned home from partying all night. He suggested cyclists should ride in the late morning to escape those drivers and on local roads to avoid speeding cars.

I don't know... seems more like common sense to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    The video shows the driver out of the car... with her leg pinned under the car... in obvious pain...
    yeah saw that later,mostly out but one leg trapped inside.

it always seems the drunks survive.

Ride at the hottest part of the day because the drunks should have made it home by then ....

Why not have police checks to stop and arrest the drunks , and charge them properly , then maybe they would stop driving ... no TIT , no imposing your Western morality over here ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Ride at the hottest part of the day because the drunks should have made it home by then ....

Why not have police checks to stop and arrest the drunks , and charge them properly , then maybe they would stop driving ... no TIT , no imposing your Western morality over here ...
    That is how it should be... but I wouldn't be relying on that... I think they are just being pragmatic... how do we reduce the risk of death? Cycle at a different time... even just a few hours later after dawn would help you'd think?

there's been a blitz around here targeting drink driving (and riding MB's in the right lane).

seems she got lucky.

got the big bosses attention...

Thai PM orders crackdowns on drunk driving
    Stillearly likes this.

So much so that it's "Stating the b******* obvious".
    Very "Thai" though. Along the lines of nothing we can do about it so let's think of a work around.

If there had been a man shooting a gun in the street, his advice would very likely have been to "Always try to hide behind a big tree".

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

So much so that it's "Stating the b******* obvious".
    Very "Thai" though. Along the lines of nothing we can do about it so let's think of a work around.

If there had been a man shooting a gun in the street, his advice would very likely have been to "Always try to hide behind a big tree".
    I don't know if it is so much a Thai thing......just prudent
    If you know there is danger......try and mitigate it

I am sure cyclists in Aus or US stay away from us much danger as they can
    The simple fact is there is drunk driving issues in Thailand so they have to plan accordingly

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    there are several large packs of cyclists out early on the Samui roads as well....these guys have the forethought to use a vehicle behind them though....TBH I wouldn't ride in one without a car at front and back...and I'd like one to the side as well....555

everyone knows how big an issue drunk driving is here...only have to look at the Songkran stats to see that...every year we get the usual talkfest about how they will police it better next year...and yet every year the numbers are up around the 300-400 deaths over 4-5 days....crazy!

26,000 deaths/year is around 72/day.

this years songkran was the highest for a while but previous years it was actually less than the daily average.

Drunk student charged with reckless driving in deaths of 3 cyclists | Bangkok Post: news

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I don't know if it is so much a Thai thing......just prudent
    If you know there is danger......try and mitigate it

I am sure cyclists in Aus or US stay away from us much danger as they can
    The simple fact is there is drunk driving issues in Thailand so they have to plan accordingly

If you accept the likelihood of being run down by a drunk driver as "Routine" and "Likely" as well as being an "Occupational hazard" of using the highway then your logic is sound.

In Australia in particular however most people would think this idea is horrific.

Aside from that, I would wager that in most places in the world (Except for Chiang Mai and Thailand as a whole) this kind of thinking is absurd.

For me (At least), that's what makes it a "Thai thing".
    Stillearly likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar

If you accept the likelihood of being run down by a drunk driver as "Routine" and "Likely" as well as being an "Occupational hazard" of using the highway then your logic is sound.

In Australia in particular however most people would think this idea is horrific.

Aside from that, I would wager that in most places in the world (Except for Chiang Mai and Thailand as a whole) this kind of thinking is absurd.

For me (At least), that's what makes it a "Thai thing".
    There is a big **** fight going on here in Perth as to whether cyclists should be allowed to rid on the footpaths.

I for one would hate it, as at the weekends at the beach there are shared cycle ways/walkways already in use and cyclists seem to treat it like a Tour de France track and speed along as though there is no one else using the track.

They do not pay a licence (like car drivers) to ride on the roadways/cycle paths, abuse the use of traffic lights when they are red (IE: go across when red), and cannot be slowed down as there are no speed limits. A bike going 30-40kms an hour can do serious damage to pedestrians, so they should be kept riding on the road.

No excuse for what that girl did, but packs of cyclists on a main roads are a hazard in my eyes, should not allowed to ride 2 abreast (only in single file)
    Last edited by chelski; 6th May 2015 at 02:28.
    Changone likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    There is a big **** fight going on here in Perth as to whether cyclists should be allowed to rid on the footpaths.

I for one would hate it, as at the weekends at the beach there are shared cycle ways/walkways already in use and cyclists seem to treat it like a Tour de France track and speed along as though there is no one else using the track.

They do not pay a licence (like car drivers) to ride on the roadways/cycle paths, abuse the use of traffic lights when they are red (IE: go across when red), and cannot be slowed down as there are no speed limits. A bike going 30-40kms an hour can do serious damage to pedestrians, so they should be kept riding on the road.

No excuse for what that girl did, but packs of cyclists on a main roads are a hazard in my eyes, not allowed to ride 2 abreast and only in single file
    Wabbits will not be happy with this take 555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast