Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Potential emergency landing at HKT coming up

Potential emergency landing at HKT coming up

Just observed a Thai Smile A320 climbing out of CNX with apparent nose wheel failure. At roughly 3.5 km's out and 2 km's altitude the main gear was well and truly up but nose wheel appeared semi-rotated in partial retraction mode.

Not an uncommon failure on A320's and may correct itself upon gear down. If not, a landing need not be compromised although an excursion into the grass could result. The 'bus' appeared fairly new, perhaps one that was delivered early last year.

Hopefully we'll hear no more about ... WE 151/TG 1151 scheduled ETA is 10.45am
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Scary business.
    Keep us updated

Landed ok ahead of schedule, so problem possibly rectified in flight or at gear down. Like I said, it's not an uncommon fault due to the rotation. See pic below of gear stuck at 90 degrees in landing mode >

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Someone probably climbed down into cargo and started kicking it till it came good.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I was at LAX for this one.

"Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Make note...don't fly Jet Blue...
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    I was at LAX for this one.

Nice put down, sure fooked the tyres but ....

Always amazes me how much stress that nose gear can handle.
    Cheers, Rob.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Nice put down, sure fooked the tyres but ....

Always amazes me how much stress that nose gear can handle.
    I was producing the landing gear for jsf f-35 when I had my business in Australia. Realistically that part of the business was living on grant money.

They are designed to fail in a very small window. Metallurgically this is difficult. There is linear and transverse failures. Direction of grain structure and many other factors. So for a too hard landing on the front gear (Say an aircraft carrier undulating in big seas) It's designed to fail at a point to take all the energy out but still force it back on the main landing gear with some nose damage and the pilot alive.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

There was a plane recently that made a belly landing in LAX. Seemed like a picture perfect landing, better than some landings I've experienced.