Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Phuket rescuers helpless as Swiss man dies in elevator shaft - See more at: http://ww

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar

Phuket rescuers helpless as Swiss man dies in elevator shaft

from Phuket Gazette; Phuket rescuers helpless as Swiss man dies in elevator shaft

PHUKET: Rescuers helplessly watched a Swiss national stuck in an elevator shaft in a Patong hotel die early this morning.

“We think that the doors to the elevator opened up before the lift had arrived and that he stepped into the shaft, unaware that there wasn’t actually an elevator there,” said Maj Teerasak Boonsang of the Patong Police. “An employee heard the sound of him crashing onto the roof of the elevator.”

When Baan Paradise Hotel employees arrived at the scene, they found the 54-year-old man, who police declined to name, upside down with his head wedged in between the elevator and the wall of the elevator shaft.

“I was on the fourth floor when I heard the sound. I ran to the elevator and saw that the man had fallen. I went to the third floor to try and open the doors, but I couldn’t get them open,” a hotel employee said.

Employees then called police and rescue workers.

“He was still alive, but was in a weak condition when police and rescue workers arrived. He was calling out for help,” Maj Teerasak said. “We tried to get him out, but the hole was too narrow – he was trapped for almost an hour.”

Eventually, the hotel mechanic was able to lower the lift to the first floor, where there was more space for rescuers to free the man’s body, explained police.

Police are continuing their investigation to establish why the elevator doors opened before the lift had arrived to the fourth floor.

The Swiss Embassy has been informed of the death. Police are withholding the man’s name pending the notification of next of kin.
    Last edited by quiksilva; 22nd May 2015 at 20:55.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Innocent looking lift, a real tragedy...

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    That's a pretty heart wrenching story. Poor man. RIP.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Was he still alive with hi head wedged between the lift and the wall.. when they lowered the lift? That would have finished him off I imagine. But how many people walk into a lift without looking? I don't trust lifts at the best of times... and often use the stairs if available... a box hanging by a rope.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My friend Gerry died when he got stuck in an elevator between floors and tried to jump up and pull himself up...

An absolute shame......I met him when he was playing drums in small clubs and he just got sort of big.........one of his last gigs he was John Legend's drummer on a David Letterman appearance

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Probably looking at the phone....
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Safer than taking the stairs ?

statistics show only 1 in 12 million elevator rides result in some kind of problem, and that is usually a minor fault such as doors failing to open). In fact, of the millions of elevator rides taken by humans every year, only about 20-30 elevator-related fatalities occur. And these usually involve a maintenance person, or an occupant being reckless (climbing out of a stuck elevator) or careless (stepping into an open elevator shaft) or just plain unlucky (getting their scarf caught in a closing elevator door).

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    ^^^ Getting your scarf caught in the door. Now that's one hell of a way to go.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    My friend Gerry died when he got stuck in an elevator between floors and tried to jump up and pull himself up...

An absolute shame......I met him when he was playing drums in small clubs and he just got sort of big.........one of his last gigs he was John Legend's drummer on a David Letterman appearance
    I always wondered what to do if an elevator is stuck between floors... not attempt to climb out by the sounds of it?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    use the fkn phone to get someone there and wait..
    Quarky likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    ^^^ Getting your scarf caught in the door. Now that's one hell of a way to go.

“A parachute not opening… that’s a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine… having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that’s the way I wanna go!”
    – Lt. Frank Drebin

Couldn't help myself...555

Tingtong likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    ^^^^ Or lapdancer 5555
    Changone and Bacon like this.

You want to go with a smile on your face though Pete...5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Was this the big Paradise hotel on that soi off Rat u thit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    I have being stuck in a lift, its no fun at all..... this was at a mates place, a old apartment block with a rickty old lift... had just knocked back a couple of billys and we raced out the door, jumped in the lift, pushed the button, and it went clunk clunk moved a bit and died...

we could just pull the doors apart a bit to see though the gap and the floor level outside was at eye level ... a little disorientating

then for a moment we tried to be as still as we could hoping it wasnt going to drop, then the bongs that we had just knocked back starting kicking in..5555

After an hour and with no water we started going a little crazy inside that box on a rope..... we had manged to yell for the gay apartment manager by then, but the emergcy phone inside the lift didnt work at all .... eventually the lift repair man rocked up and got us out

Have always hated lifts, both before and after that event .... being claustrophobic and not liking heights its hardly surprising 5555 ...
    Last edited by Sydney; 24th May 2015 at 01:35.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    When I was in the Firebrigade we were often going to people trapped in lifts...Its more common than people think.

I was shocked but not surprised that the Thai Guys moved the lift to get the Man with his head stuck in the lift out, More than likely finished him off and def not what you should do in that situation.
    Quarky and Minder like this.

My 2nd day on the job after graduating university I got stuck in between the 27th and 28th floors. I was by myself in the elevator. Sat for an hour before it moved. It didn't bother me at 1st but as time went on, with the mind wandering, it started to bother me. For 10 years after that I would nightmares, a couple of times a year, about being in an elevator by myself and it falling to the ground. Then I made friends with a guy who happened to be an elevator inspector. He told me when elevators fail, its almost always the counterweight. Most deaths happen because the elevator shoots up, not down. My nightmares ended after I learned that.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My wife got stuck in a a lift and called me.......like i could hekp her.
    I just asked her if she remembered that and she said
    " yeah and my stupid husband tell me to do yoga" 5555
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I know it's sad , but every time I got in the lift at work it used to make me smile when I looked at the manufacturers name , Schindler ....
    Changone likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I know it's sad , but every time I got in the lift at work it used to make me smile when I looked at the manufacturers name , Schindler ....
    Just stayed in a Hotel that had Schindlers Lifts, is that where the movies name came from 55.

An old high rise Car Park in Perth (Canterbury Court) where I parked years ago had a shocker of a lift, never cleaned grotty as hell, graffitti eveywhere. I still vividly remember on one wall as you stare at it as the lift travelled between floors "suzy has massive titz scrawled on it.] Never did get to meet Suzy though 55
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast