Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Education costs

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144

    Education costs

    My stepson will be in high school next year
    I've given up on him coming to Canada and at his age now....think it's best he stays in Thailand
    But with a thought he goes to best high school he can and really become fluent in English
    With the idea he can come to either US/Canada for university....which is the important part, IMO

    But funny seeing how my wife and I look differently at costs.
    She balks when I say if the best school he gets into costs 300-400k baht a year than that is what it is.
    Where's she is basing where he should go on cost.

    For me......whatever expenses we have.......education is THE priority


    Another snippet I did not know. She told me they have real problems in BKK with violence amongst rival high schools

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,944
    No offence, but your wife is Thai. You should disregard all her thoughts and opinions on education, and go with what you think is best if you want this kid to have any future at all.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Geographicaly, Cali!
    Posts
    3,216
    Dude, your in the right on this. Put everything you can into his higher education. Spend what ever it takes and be a bastard if you have to. Don't let anybody temper your enthusiasm for the boys future. Your his future.

    This is time for the alpha male and take charge.

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    AFAIK the most violence is between the tech schools - those kids who don't make the cut to go onto the pre-uni stream.
    Not just BKK - all over Thailand.

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    AFAIK the most violence is between the tech schools - those kids who don't make the cut to go onto the pre-uni stream.
    Not just BKK - all over Thailand.
    Funny enough that is where he mentioned he wanted to go but Ao put her foot down that he goes to proper high school
    The MIL is a nervous wreck about the rivals violence

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    No offence, but your wife is Thai. You should disregard all her thoughts and opinions on education, and go with what you think is best if you want this kid to have any future at all.
    My wife actually is pretty smart cookie
    But I guess when you grow up in a rice village and both parents never went to school....it is hard for her to wrap her head around school costing 300-400k
    I don't think he will end up in a school that expensive....more like 200k a year

    I just stresse to her that cost is not an issue with school.....she should know that by now.......so disregard cost and just make sure he goes to the best school he can get accepted into

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    Get him into an international school - if he qualifies.
    You can afford it.
    He'll then learn English and everything else properly and get out of the useless Thai rote learning model - and the gang culture ...
    slampay and OZZYGUY like this.

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Get him into an international school - if he qualifies.
    You can afford it.
    He'll then learn English and everything else properly and get out of the useless Thai rote learning model - and the gang culture ...
    He goes to Thai private school now but not an international school
    And his English is pretty good already, especially his comprehension.......so well impressed with it( and I guess these English camps he is always going away to wasn't a waste of money......I always told my wife I was paying for him to go away and kiss girls!)

    As I mentioned before....my wife grew up in Samut Prakan, they have good schools there and she definitely knows which ones are good and which ones are not

    But getting him as far away from any gang culture is utmost importance and honestly something I wasn't aware of

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    here
    Posts
    603
    If she has a problem with 300-400 k thb, I wonder what her reaction is going to be to Canadian tuition and book costs.

  10. #10
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But getting him as far away from any gang culture is utmost importance and honestly something I wasn't aware of


    ^^ Especially as for some reason, and maybe Baz can confirm or elaborate on this, the Asian gang culture often revolves around knifes.... at least that's what i see in Sydney ..... some kid gets stabbed by another kid, you can guarantee the name will be asain
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    I can only speak for Phuket from 1st hand knowledge - but it seems widespread.
    Many tech school students carry knives (including the girls) and a number have home-made handguns and can be quick to use them.
    Then you have the 4 Thai kids who mugged a cop recently (not here) and stole his 9mm ...

  12. #12
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    I can only speak for Phuket from 1st hand knowledge - but it seems widespread.
    Many tech school students carry knives (including the girls) and a number have home-made handguns and can be quick to use them.
    Then you have the 4 Thai kids who mugged a cop recently (not here) and stole his 9mm ...
    Sh1te ... when i started to read your post i knew i wasn't going to be surprised if you mentioned guns ... but in bold had me floored !!
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    One girl didn't like the fact that the niece was popular so she slashed her bike tyres, slashed the seat and shoved a drinking straw down the ignition key hole.

  14. #14
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,610
    I'm with Baz on the International School thing....especially if the idea is for him to go to University in Canada or The USA

    If he comes away with a Thai only matriculation qualification it is highly likely that will not be recognised and he will have to study again and sit locally for those (US + Canadian) Universities matriculation levels

    International schools teaching "The Cambridge" syllabus seem to be the most internationally recognised

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    If she has a problem with 300-400 k thb, I wonder what her reaction is going to be to Canadian tuition and book costs.
    It would be free....he'd go to plenty of the good public schools
    Sort of forced to go to private school in Thaialnd

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I'm with Baz on the International School thing....especially if the idea is for him to go to University in Canada or The USA

    If he comes away with a Thai only matriculation qualification it is highly likely that will not be recognised and he will have to study again and sit locally for those (US + Canadian) Universities matriculation levels

    International schools teaching "The Cambridge" syllabus seem to be the most internationally recognised
    Not true
    Most of the Thai unit students we know here, and we know plenty.......are Thai private school educated and do well in University here in Vancouver

  17. #17
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,610
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Not true
    Most of the Thai unit students we know here, and we know plenty.......are Thai private school educated and do well in University here in Vancouver
    sure...but they will be classed as "international students" and pay the hefty fees that go with that...I thought the idea was to get him "naturalised" in Canada/USA and go through as a citizen

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    sure...but they will be classed as "international students" and pay the hefty fees that go with that...I thought the idea was to get him "naturalised" in Canada/USA and go through as a citizen
    well, that was my plan 555
    As I said in the OP, it is best at his age to just stay in Thailand to finish high school

    Sort of the meaning of the thread
    I will now stress to Ao that the search for his high school should be focused on the quality of the school and not the cost(within reason)

    And obviously an International School would be the best but when don't know if it is ideal for us when all factors considered

  19. #19
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,057
    The Thai students you know in Vancouver, do you know if they had to do a further foundation year at a local college in Canada before being enrolled on the undergraduate degree? That is very common in the UK if their high school qualifications are not deemed equivalent. Most universities have international colleges "built in" and if they successfully pass (which I have heard is pretty much a formality) they are guaranteed a place at the university. I think it's a good money maker for universities to extract even more money from international students.

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    The Thai students you know in Vancouver, do you know if they had to do a further foundation year at a local college in Canada before being enrolled on the undergraduate degree? That is very common in the UK if their high school qualifications are not deemed equivalent. Most universities have international colleges "built in" and if they successfully pass (which I have heard is pretty much a formality) they are guaranteed a place at the university. I think it's a good money maker for universities to extract even more money from international students.
    I would imagine his best route(if it goes this way) is to go to a community college( 2 year associate degree) and then matriculate into a 4 year school

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •