Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bacon
  • 1 Post By Cuzzy

Thread: If there was ever a good enough reason to go vegetarian,

If there was ever a good enough reason to go vegetarian,

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Fact: There are more slaves on Earth today than any other period in history.
    pinecone likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Fact: There are more slaves on Earth today than any other period in history.
    Called "Mortgage" ?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Powerful reading and woefully sad a life lost in despair and for most no happy ending a strong man..

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Sad story indeed.. Just shows how lucky we are.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Called "Mortgage" ?
    No I mean actual slaves. From Phillipino women in the Emirates to caes like this. Plenty of horror stories around. I read stats and estimates in a UN paper once. Whish I could remember where it was. It was a link in a Youtube vid.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    No I mean actual slaves. From Phillipino women in the Emirates to caes like this. Plenty of horror stories around. I read stats and estimates in a UN paper once. Whish I could remember where it was. It was a link in a Youtube vid.
    http://www.smfcdn.com/assets/pubs/un_chronicle.pdf

This the report you are talking about?

What they do to get the estimate is add all the real or presumed "forced labor", like all child soldiers, all illegal immigrant workers, and most sex workers..
    And half of the world's slaves in this definition are in India, where the cast system does not grant any rights to the lowest cast...

Still a huge problem though...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I read about this guy some months ago, then recently there was a documentary on TV, I think a USA 60 mins???

It showed all the interconnection of the Thai and other Asian fishing industry and they tried to follow the fish from the boats and to work out where it finished up to try and shame the final buyers.

It was a real maze and the best they got was some political statements from the distributors, saying they weren't aware of any of their suppliers being involved.

There was a different show on late night a week or two ago about the Rhowinda(sp) refugees in LOS, I think it might have been Ross Kemp?? or another 60 mins I only saw the back end of it,
    This young guy ,at great risk, took them to where he had buried lots of his countrymen and friends, it was in a paddock fenced off in a village, in sight of the people smugglers house.
    He showed them about 50 graves before they decided it was too hot and left, as they left 2 cars gave chase.

What terrible things we do to each other for greed.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    I read about this guy some months ago, then recently there was a documentary on TV, I think a USA 60 mins???

It showed all the interconnection of the Thai and other Asian fishing industry and they tried to follow the fish from the boats and to work out where it finished up to try and shame the final buyers.

It was a real maze and the best they got was some political statements from the distributors, saying they weren't aware of any of their suppliers being involved.

What terrible things we do to each other for greed.
    It ends up on the shelves of our Supermarkets.......

20150722_194114[1].jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cuzzy; 22nd July 2015 at 17:45.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I used to look at food products country of origin. If they were from some nations, I wouldn't buy. If they were from Thailand I usually did as I believed I was supporting the Thai economy.

Reading an article in the New Zealand Herald has led me to do some research. It took about 2 minutes to discover Thailands complicity in the 'slave trade' which includes fisherman among other industries.

You can call me naive and to some degree I was, or just pushed it to the back of my mind. This is part of Thai culture which is evident in the widespread corruption at all levels in Thai society.

Myanmar fisherman goes home after 22 years as a slave - Business - NZ Herald News

Slaves Used To Catch Fish That End Up On U.S. Tables

Men forced to work as slaves in Indonesia to catch seafood for global supply - National | Globalnews.ca
    Quarky likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.