Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jontymate

Thread: buying silver whole sale in Thailand

Cadet Gold

buying silver whole sale in Thailand

ok so my research is telling me that the hill tribes that use a higher grade silver alloy are in the north of the country, so where in bangkok and indeed phuket is good for silver jewlery im looking for nice ethinc and interesting stuff not chavy mass produced tat.
    Last edited by poseidon; 31st July 2015 at 03:51.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poseidon View Post
    ok so my research is telling me that the hill tribes that use a higher grade silver alloy are in the north of the country, so where in bangkok and indeed phuket is good for silver jewlery im looking for nice ethinc and interesting stuff not chavy mass produced tat.
    Silver " higher grade" needs to be defined. Wholesale also. There is silver alleys (soi's) off Silom road at Ban Rak. About four blocks dedicated to silver jewelry as their main focus. One block over and you will be in Gay world.

Google search will find them after the info I have given you.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Banned
    Yeah Bang Rak district is the jewellery district in Bangkok and I agree with Jonty that "higher grade" needs to be defined as a lot of hill tribe jewellery being sold claims to "high grade" or close to pure silver, but if you have any knowledge at all in jewellery you will know its not what its claimed to be.

Also a lot of the jewellery will be cast and not hand fabricated, not hard to pick if you have some knowledge. Don't know if that is an issue or not.

My advice is to head north more and visit the villages where its made and buy from them direct.

Not hard to find the villages with a little research.

Cadet Gold
    Thats what my research is telling me its a higher percentage of silver. i do find it very hard to believe why would they work with currency grade silver instead of just turning into blocks or silver shot and selling it as currency. Also hallmarked 925 will be easier to sell as long as it looks good. Unfortunately im traveling with someone so cant just go north i will be in bangkok however

Banned
    They don't mine the stuff, they make there money by turning into jewellery so take that into account. what you should be paying should be based on this.

It really all depends on the market you are selling in, and what they will pay.

Cadet Gold
    In the uk is anyones guess as long as it is not like the tat elf produces from looking at there website, it should sell quite well. Hall marked is easier to sell to tho everyone is weary of fakes

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Thats what my research is telling me its a higher percentage of silver. i do find it very hard to believe why would they work with currency grade silver instead of just turning into blocks or silver shot and selling it as currency. Also hallmarked 925 will be easier to sell as long as it looks good. Unfortunately im traveling with someone so cant just go north i will be in bangkok however
    If you are going into this with a view to make money from this ...... Mate a lot more research is needed. There is three factors. LME The price of the metal on the day. The exchange rate on the day and then the labour for smithing is the only negotiable component. This goes for copper, nickel and many non ferrous materials. I watch them all daily.

Pure metals Au and Ag are too soft to make jewellery from and the alloys derived are designated. Hallmarks are like a PhD in Thailand. Worthless.............. .
    Zablive likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Cadet Gold
    Not for the thai market its for the uk market and nothing will sell here without a hallmark its the first thing people ask for. I do watch the markets as well its why i wont touch gold with a barge pole. I do know what i am doing thank you. the hill tribes from my research dont use 925 sterling but something thats in the 97-98% region which is great but will be very difficult to sell here. Hallmarked 925 in that style will be easier to sell.
    Last edited by poseidon; 2nd August 2015 at 21:22.

Banned
    I take it you understand about the issues you will have with UK hallmarks?

Hallmarking something 925 when it contains a higher silver content then 92.5% silver shouldn't be an issue as sterling silver standard has a minimum millesimal fineness of 925 (92.5%), its more of an issue if its less then the minimum millesimal fineness
    Last edited by Seven_; 5th August 2015 at 21:48.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Not for the thai market its for the uk market and nothing will sell here without a hallmark its the first thing people ask for. I do watch the markets as well its why i wont touch gold with a barge pole. I do know what i am doing thank you. the hill tribes from my research dont use 925 sterling but something thats in the 97-98% region which is great but will be very difficult to sell here. Hallmarked 925 in that style will be easier to sell.
    How many kg are you after?

Cadet Gold
    zablive 1 kilo should be plenty for a first order to see what sells and what dose not did you have a recommendation in mind. Seven I am hoping the traders in koh san road who have been doing this for a number of years and have good reputations (which i am checking religiously atm) wont do that. I will also be sending some of the pieces off to be hallmarked in the uk to make sure everything is kosher.

Banned
    How much experience do you have in the Jewellery trade? When you talk about hallmarking what do you mean exactly as hallmarking won't tell you much or do you mean assaying when you talk about hallmarking?

Do you have a hallmark registered already?

1 kilo as a wholesale buyer is a small amount and you shouldn't pay much above spot price for it. Maybe 10-20c a gram for cast stuff.

What are you looking for? cast or hand fabricated?