Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The advantages of a desired food culture

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

The advantages of a desired food culture

I have noticed that pretty much all the min wage retail jobs are staffed by Filipinos here in Vancouver.
    Fast food, big retailers like Costco, etc...
    You almost never see a Thai working in that type of job......I personally don't know any Thai that ever has.
    Then you look at the flip side and see how relatively easy it is for a Thai to make good money in Thai restaurants.
    Almost all the jobs get paid well above min wage when you factor in tips and the chefs are highly sought after. My wife makes more in tips than her min wage hourly wage so she most likely gets paid at least double than most Filipino min wage worker.
    When my wife left her old job she had 4 restaurants wanting to give her a job.

And it is all because people desire Thai food and not Filipino food.
    Pretty amazing when you think about it.

I'd say Japanese have the most opportunities here in Vancouver in the restaurant industry. They have the most and busiest restaurants.
    But they also attract much more Asian student customers than a Thai restaurant, whose customers are mainly white people. So I would imagine their tips are not as good.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    How do the Indian restaurants do in Vancouver? My local favourite place is called The Indian Chapter and it is owned an run by an Indian lady who previously was involved in TV work here in SA, Prim Ready. Great hostess and fantastic food, it has become very popular over the past few years.
    I don't normally do Thai restaurants here as I cannot get my head around what I am paying for a meal as opposed to what it would cost me back in LOS

[QUOTE=PeteGill;237936]How do the Indian restaurants do in Vancouver? My local favourite place is called The Indian Chapter and it is owned an run by an Indian lady who previously was involved in TV work here in SA, Prim Ready. Great hostess and fantastic food, it has become very popular over the past few years.
    I don't normally do Thai restaurants here as I cannot get my head around what I am paying for a meal as opposed to what it would cost me back in LOS[/QUOTE

They do pretty well in downtown but not as popular as the Asian restaurants

But there is one, Vij's that the NYT has named top 5 Inidan restaurants in the world.....it is pretty amazing but not our run of the mill curry joint

VIJ'S

We eat Japanese more than anything.....some great Izakayas that are pretty cheap

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    maybe because the filipinos have a better grasp of english?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    No, I just don't think they have any other options as the Thais, Japanese and Chinese do

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    also I dont think fillipino food has a great promotion compared to the other races.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    also I dont think fillipino food has a great promotion compared to the other races.
    umm........did you read the open post, fcukhead??
    that is the whole point

I am allowed to call Dupes a fcukhead because a) he is a fcukhead and b) we are friends

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Re takeaway food , Thai is the most expensive where I am , quite a number of decent restaurants as well , then Chinese and after Indian

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    umm........did you read the open post, fcukhead??
    that is the whole point

I am allowed to call Dupes a fcukhead because a) he is a fcukhead and b) we are friends
    So then we agree.....

about the food.....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    so I wonder which national cuisine people tip the highest for on a night out?

In AUS it would probably be the famous "Modern Australian" celebrity chefs and or the International ones with their own restaurants in AUS....Thai/Italian/Greek/French etc ethnic national cuisine local places wouldn't be high on the list unless they come with a celeb owner

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post

In AUS it would probably be the famous "Modern Australian" celebrity chefs and or the International ones with their own restaurants in AUS....Thai/Italian/Greek/French etc ethnic national cuisine local places wouldn't be high on the list unless they come with a celeb owner
    I thought you guys didn't tip?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I thought you guys didn't tip?
    I always have and always will tip....I just don't like other people dictating to me what amount

contrary to urban mythology the majority of Australians do tip in real restaurants....not takeaways or Macca's type fast food joints though

I always have and always will tip....I just don't like other people dictating to me what amount

contrary to urban mythology the majority of Australians do tip in real restaurants....not takeaways or Macca's type fast food joints though
    As you shouldn't! Those Aussie Macca workers drive Cadillacs...
    Quarky and KRIS-ONE like this.

As I said the Japanese places do gang busters and they are by far the most authentic. Some of the places you feel like you are in Tokyo.
    But a lot of their custimers are young Asian students.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

Interesting question. I Wouldn't say a cuisine in particular just the service and the experience provided. I always ask if the tips are shared. If so I will pop one on the card and have cash for exceptional wait staff.

We don't eat at Thai restaurants as a general rule but there is one close that is Thai / Lao that will make authentic food for us. Their kids (teens) are the wait staff and really good at it.

They're bilingual and have that knack of great service without being intrusive under mama's watchful eye. I will drop them $20 each even if the meal comes to $80-120.
    bacwaan likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

^ glad to hear...I think that in AUS the ethnic Mum and Pop places with their kids waiting the tables often miss out on tips as customers think its a family all in kinda place and not "professional"

I know here I will always tip the kids who serve me in the Thai mum and pop places...just like 20 baht each in the hand but they do get a kick out of it and their folks usually seem to as well...smiles all round

when I was young eating out with my folks and family friends the French places were always so cool and intimidating (AUS and the UK in the 60's) but the Italian places were always great fun as we were allowed to be kids in them (run around a bit and play provided we weren't disturbing anyone else)...I always remember my Dad discussing the "Tip" with my mum in the French places but strangely not the Italian ones...maybe because they were more "family" or maybe just less formal and less in need of a conversation

I doubt whether he tipped much at Chinese places though...iirc it was more of a rounding up or a one dollar bill

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^ glad to hear...I think that in AUS the ethnic Mum and Pop places with their kids waiting the tables often miss out on tips as customers think its a family all in kinda place and not "professional"

I know here I will always tip the kids who serve me in the Thai mum and pop places...just like 20 baht each in the hand but they do get a kick out of it and their folks usually seem to as well...smiles all round
    I agree, the family businesses seem to be treated with the attitude of...they are sharing in the profits....whereas a professional business, as you call it, you know the staff are getting basic wage and so you tip them more often.

I have always tipped for any service above basic/bad, usually a rounding up of the bill, leaving the change but if it was good service I would leave 5% roughly.

In LOS I tipped everyone, I'm on holidays and have money so it is natural.

You talk about the kids, I told in my last TR when I went to Bum's town and I was out for dinner on my own I went to this outdoor open Buffet and as was the case everywhere there, no one spoke English and I was looked at like a freak,

i was served well and when the bill came it was a young girl, 10-12?? and I gave her the notes, she bought back the change and I left...80? or 120?bt about $4or5 AU
    she tried to give it back to me and I waved no for you, Well she ran back to the office and did a cartwheel sumersault into the doorway to show her parents what she had got, 555555

As I was going out the gate, I saw the parents come out from the office to see me and wave with a big smile on both of them.
    bacwaan and Sig like this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

^ it costs so little here to spread a bit of happiness around....and you do seem to get it back in spadefuls when you give...even if its just a smile...they are infectious here
    justcruzing1 and jontymate like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast