Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Thai beauty ad: 'Just being white, you will win'

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar

Thai beauty ad: 'Just being white, you will win'

I know TIT but this is taking the pish.

A new Thai beauty ad claiming white skin is the key to success has unleashed a storm of criticism in Thailand, especially online, where people complain the ad perpetuates damaging, racist ideas.

"Just being white, you will win," says Cris Horwang, a smiling pale-skinned actress, in the 30-second spot by Seoul Secret, a Thai beauty company.

Without the advertised skin cream, "the whiteness I have invested in, will just vanish," she warns.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/08/as...-ad/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could say similar to the obsession with slimness in the West? Though I guess slimness has a partial health benefit... whereas this is just blatant prejudice...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    You could say similar to the obsession with slimness in the West? Though I guess slimness has a partial health benefit... whereas this is just blatant prejudice...
    You don't think there is a slimness obsession in Thailand?
    A 1000x worse than any place I've ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    You don't think there is a slimness obsession in Thailand?
    A 1000x worse than any place I've ever seen
    I thought most people were slim anyway... so not the same obsession with it? Though maybe there is... I could well be wrong...

OK... what is an equivalent obsession in the West.. which isn't prevalent in Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I thought most people were slim anyway... so not the same obsession with it? Though maybe there is... I could well be wrong...

OK... what is an equivalent obsession in the West.. which isn't prevalent in Thailand?
    People think That's commenting on weight is just a joke.....it's not.
    They are obsessed with it.
    I know Thai girls here that you would not call fat, by any means, miserable at the prospect of going home and being ridiculed for their weight.

As for obsession in the west......I'd say just an overall "keeping up with the Joneses"
    Trying to appear wealthier than you are

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Shouldn't that be trying to be healthier than you are!

Cracks me up the mother meetings at coffee shops all in their gym kit and yoga pants drinking a HUGE cafe late.
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    People think That's commenting on weight is just a joke.....it's not.
    They are obsessed with it.
    I know Thai girls here that you would not call fat, by any means, miserable at the prospect of going home and being ridiculed for their weight.

As for obsession in the west......I'd say just an overall "keeping up with the Joneses"
    Trying to appear wealthier than you are
    Isn't that a Thailand obsession too?

I like kris-one's "trying to look healthier than you really are" obsession... that is probably a very western phenomenon...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I know TIT but this is taking the pish.

A new Thai beauty ad claiming white skin is the key to success has unleashed a storm of criticism in Thailand, especially online, where people complain the ad perpetuates damaging, racist ideas.

"Just being white, you will win," says Cris Horwang, a smiling pale-skinned actress, in the 30-second spot by Seoul Secret, a Thai beauty company.

Without the advertised skin cream, "the whiteness I have invested in, will just vanish," she warns.

Thai beauty ad: 'Just being white, you will win' - CNN.com

Not being funny, but she's right. Right or wrong, "Being white" is a real social advantage in this crazy world.

The real issue is that the creams and makeups, or even radical surgery won't actually make you white.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Just keep the TGs poor and they can not afford the fast junk food and sugar laden crap that is invading their diets. Anyhow back to being white? what do you do.

A young black kid decided one day that he wanted to be white so he covered himself in flour, his father came along shortly after and belted the snot out of him.
    The young feller, after picking himself up off the ground proclaimed, "I was white for three minutes and I hate them black bastards already".

Leave em be I say, and I tell my misses she looks fabulous with her skin color, love that brown skin tone, natural and its what she is.
    Changone and Zablive like this.

^Just don't go out together in the daytime sun, you'll never hear the end of it...5555

The thing is... TGs want their cake and eat it... they don't want the sun... but they don't want the cold either... 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Most of the girls I've taken over the years loved getting out in the sun, bar one who attempted to use almost an entire bottle of suntan lotion on her. REst of the time I usually joke with the girls to say I want to be dark like the men who work on patong beach. They always get a laugh out of that.

Also I don't think is comparable with slimming obsession in the west. Yes the magazine companies and that industry do like to push the size 0 image, but it's not at the expense of anyone being discriminated. And before you say obese people, that's different as that's a choice. And the health risks that come with that lifestyle are well documented.
    Last edited by supersub; 8th January 2016 at 22:27.
    TMTBOUND likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    Shouldn't that be trying to be healthier than you are!

Cracks me up the mother meetings at coffee shops all in their gym kit and yoga pants drinking a HUGE cafe late.
    Bite your tounge!
    Don't let me ever hear you disparage yoga pants again, young man!
    Best invention since electricity.

Sure, we have to put up with some not so good looking and bigger girls trying to pull them off
    But I think it's the best look out there.
    Go shopping at the grocery store at 6pm.....so many smokeshows in their yoga pants! Love it
    supersub and TMTBOUND like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    I think that's the problem.. I'm currently out of work and in coffee shops during day time. No young hotties as presumably all at work. I'm left with all the oldies.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    It's just a social status thing. We see it as being somehow bigger than what it is, but at the end of the day it's just another thing next to having a house, car, expensive jewelry, etc. Typical Asian shenanigans.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I think the south Koreans leave the Thais for dead when it comes to the whole trying to look Caucasian thing. Getting radical surgery to have their eyes and facial features changed to look more western is a huge industry.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    I think that's the problem.. I'm currently out of work and in coffee shops during day time. No young hotties as presumably all at work. I'm left with all the oldies.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a young stud to make some moolah...
    Changone likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Reminds me of a song Dupes...555

Dupree likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Most of the girls I've taken over the years loved getting out in the sun, bar one who attempted to use almost an entire bottle of suntan lotion on her. REst of the time I usually joke with the girls to say I want to be dark like the men who work on patong beach. They always get a laugh out of that.

Also I don't think is comparable with slimming obsession in the west. Yes the magazine companies and that industry do like to push the size 0 image, but it's not at the expense of anyone being discriminated. And before you say obese people, that's different as that's a choice. And the health risks that come with that lifestyle are well documented.
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't it seems...

Plus size models in ads could be making you fat, study says

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    I think the south Koreans leave the Thais for dead when it comes to the whole trying to look Caucasian thing. Getting radical surgery to have their eyes and facial features changed to look more western is a huge industry.
    Well it seems to be working 555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast