Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Luk Thep dolls

Seven_

Luk Thep dolls

Has anyone come across these in real life, I have only seen them on the news and Internet.

Bit of an odd crazy for the cool hiso kids, but PM has even waded in on the crazy warning people to be careful.

A new superstition-fueled trend has emerged in the kingdom with locals seen cradling, feeding and dressing up their haunted dolls in the belief they will bring wealth and blessing.

Look Thep dolls, translated to “Child God,” are the updated version of the old kuman thong, the fetal fetishes containing the soul of a child traditionally worshiped, but without going to the trouble of obtaining a dead fetus. Instead,Look Thep are soul-optional: They simply invite a child’s spirit to possess a factory-manufactured doll.
    DJ Bookkoh Thannatchayapan from 94 FM went public with “Wansai,” his Look Thep on television recently, claiming the doll has brought him success in the entertainment industry.
    We investigated the internets and found an online shop selling Look Thep. The prices range from THB2,000 to as high as THB15,900, obviously depending on the quality of dolls.

From All the cool kids are worshiping haunted dolls now

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My wife sent me a LINE saying she wanted one

I told her to beat it 555

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    My wife sent me a LINE saying she wanted one

I told her to beat it 555

Might be good training for the future marc 555................they look evil to me
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    wasn't Chucky based on the same idea .....
    Cuzzy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    Has anyone come across these in real life, I have only seen them on the news and Internet.

Bit of an odd crazy for the cool hiso kids, but PM has even waded in on the crazy warning people to be careful.

A new superstition-fueled trend has emerged in the kingdom with locals seen cradling, feeding and dressing up their haunted dolls in the belief they will bring wealth and blessing.

Look Thep dolls, translated to “Child God,” are the updated version of the old kuman thong, the fetal fetishes containing the soul of a child traditionally worshiped, but without going to the trouble of obtaining a dead fetus. Instead,Look Thep are soul-optional: They simply invite a child’s spirit to possess a factory-manufactured doll.
    DJ Bookkoh Thannatchayapan from 94 FM went public with “Wansai,” his Look Thep on television recently, claiming the doll has brought him success in the entertainment industry.
    We investigated the internets and found an online shop selling Look Thep. The prices range from THB2,000 to as high as THB15,900, obviously depending on the quality of dolls.

From All the cool kids are worshiping haunted dolls now
    Thy almost look real... well the kids do...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    JK has one, i can see it just across the room ....

But hay we have had a very lucky start to this year since he has being with us, plus it keeps the farang ghosts away, so who am i to question it .....
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    All just a bit of harmless fun for rich folks really...at least they're not sticking pins in them...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    All just a bit of harmless fun for rich folks really...at least they're not sticking pins in them...555
    I'm no fan, and there won't be one of these in our house.
    Read about the black magic carry on in Si Sa Ket, Surin provinces etc, don't see any good coming from encouraging more of these witchcraft voodoo beliefs, already enough spiritual stuff to cope with

I'll be outside at sunset, whistling for ghosts
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    JK has one, i can see it just across the room ....

But hay we have had a very lucky start to this year since he has being with us, plus it keeps the farang ghosts away, so who am i to question it .....
    Would you let her take it with you guys on a plane?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Would you let her take it with you guys on a plane?
    5555.. just checked with JK to see if she wants to ..... answer = You are kidding !! people think i crazy !!

But apparently you can book extra seats for your dolls when flying in Thailand, great upsell when you think about it ...555
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    5555.. just checked with JK to see if she wants to ..... answer = You are kidding !! people think i crazy !!

But apparently you can book extra seats for your dolls when flying in Thailand, great upsell when you think about it ...555
    Ao takes her Winnie the Pooh and blanket on every flight.(She doesn't leave the house without that blanket!)
    They are in her bag until she sits down and then she brings them out.

But no way would I let her bring that weird ass doll on the plane 555

NOW:

BANGKOK - A Thai airline will allow passengers to purchase seats for life-like dolls that their owners treat as real children due to their belief that they possess supernatural powers.

Thai Smile Airways, which is a part of national carrier Thai Airways, said in an internal memo that dolls with tickets will be served snacks and drinks, though they will be barred from sitting in exit rows. Owners who take dolls on the plane without tickets will have them treated as carry-on luggage.

The dolls known as Luk Thep, or Child Angels, have become increasingly popular in Thailand after several celebrities extolled their benefits. The dolls, which can sell for hundreds of dollars, are thought to possess the spirits of child angels and their owners pamper them with brand-name clothes and accessories due to the belief that a well-cared-for doll will bring good fortune.

The memo from Thai Smile explains to staff that the Luk Thep dolls can be treated like children because they have undergone a "spiritualisation" process that breathes life into them. In addition to being barred from exit rows, the dolls must also buckle up during take off and landing.

-

What they represent

Kumarn, or Kumara (Pali) means “young boy” (young girl would be “Kumaree”), Tong means golden.
    Kumarn Tong (alternatively spelled “Kuman Tong”), is not a Buddhist practice, rather pure “Saiyasart” (Occultism, in this case, Necromancy). It would also be accurate to class the practice of keeping Kuman Tong as an essentially Animist practice. The genuine Kumatn Tong which was revered and created in Ancient times according to traditional method, by Adept practitioners of Saiyasart, was made by surgically removing the unborn fetus of a child from the womb of its Mother. The body of the child would then be taken to a cemetery for the conduction of the Ceremony to invoke a Kumatn Tong. The body is roasted until dry whilst the Mage chants incantations of Magical Kata. In the case of making a female spirit child, the effigy is not called Kumarn Tong, rather “Hoeng Pray”.

Some Kuman effigies will be soaked in Nam Man Prai, which has extract of a dead child or a person who died in violent circumstances or an unnatural death. This is much less common now, due to the fact that this practice is now illegal if using fat from human babies for the consecrating oil. There are however still some authentically made amulets appearing. Some years ago a famous monk was thrown out of the Buddhist Sangha for roasting a baby. He was convicted, but later continued to make magic as a layperson after his release. The practice of creating Necromantic effigies of a Kumarn Tong comes from age old tradition in Siam. Thai folk have made Bucha to Animistic spirits and ghosts since time immemorial. The original Kumarn Tong came from children who died whilst still in their mothers womb. The Magic makers would take these stillborn babies and adopt them as their children. From what information has been gathered from ancient Thai manuscripts about how to make a Kumarn Tong, it appears that the correct method is to remove the dead baby surgically from the mothers womb, and take it to undergo the proper ceremonial ritual; The baby must be roasted until dry. This must be completed before dawn, and should be performed in a cemetery. Once the rite is completed, the dry roasted Kumarn should be painted with Ya Lak (a kind of lacquer used to cover amulets and Takrut with gold leaf), and covered in gold leaf. This is the real reason why this effigy received the name of “Kumarn Tong” (which means “Golden Baby Boy”).

When you go places or enter and leave buildings you should speak to the Kumarn in your heart to accompany you
    •When you eat you should speak in your heart that the Kumarn should come to eat with you. Make a separate offering do not give from your own plate.
    •The Kumarn will call friends. customers and riches to you, lovers and admirers, and will chase away enemies and protect you and your household and family.
    •When bringing the Kumarn into the home for the first time, you should tell the Kumarn that the people in the house are friends and that the Kumarn should accept and look after them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    NOW:

BANGKOK - A Thai airline will allow passengers to purchase seats for life-like dolls that their owners treat as real children due to their belief that they possess supernatural powers.

Thai Smile Airways, which is a part of national carrier Thai Airways, said in an internal memo that dolls with tickets will be served snacks and drinks, though they will be barred from sitting in exit rows. Owners who take dolls on the plane without tickets will have them treated as carry-on luggage.

The dolls known as Luk Thep, or Child Angels, have become increasingly popular in Thailand after several celebrities extolled their benefits. The dolls, which can sell for hundreds of dollars, are thought to possess the spirits of child angels and their owners pamper them with brand-name clothes and accessories due to the belief that a well-cared-for doll will bring good fortune.

The memo from Thai Smile explains to staff that the Luk Thep dolls can be treated like children because they have undergone a "spiritualisation" process that breathes life into them. In addition to being barred from exit rows, the dolls must also buckle up during take off and landing.

-

What they represent

Kumarn, or Kumara (Pali) means “young boy” (young girl would be “Kumaree”), Tong means golden.
    Kumarn Tong (alternatively spelled “Kuman Tong”), is not a Buddhist practice, rather pure “Saiyasart” (Occultism, in this case, Necromancy). It would also be accurate to class the practice of keeping Kuman Tong as an essentially Animist practice. The genuine Kumatn Tong which was revered and created in Ancient times according to traditional method, by Adept practitioners of Saiyasart, was made by surgically removing the unborn fetus of a child from the womb of its Mother. The body of the child would then be taken to a cemetery for the conduction of the Ceremony to invoke a Kumatn Tong. The body is roasted until dry whilst the Mage chants incantations of Magical Kata. In the case of making a female spirit child, the effigy is not called Kumarn Tong, rather “Hoeng Pray”.

Some Kuman effigies will be soaked in Nam Man Prai, which has extract of a dead child or a person who died in violent circumstances or an unnatural death. This is much less common now, due to the fact that this practice is now illegal if using fat from human babies for the consecrating oil. There are however still some authentically made amulets appearing. Some years ago a famous monk was thrown out of the Buddhist Sangha for roasting a baby. He was convicted, but later continued to make magic as a layperson after his release. The practice of creating Necromantic effigies of a Kumarn Tong comes from age old tradition in Siam. Thai folk have made Bucha to Animistic spirits and ghosts since time immemorial. The original Kumarn Tong came from children who died whilst still in their mothers womb. The Magic makers would take these stillborn babies and adopt them as their children. From what information has been gathered from ancient Thai manuscripts about how to make a Kumarn Tong, it appears that the correct method is to remove the dead baby surgically from the mothers womb, and take it to undergo the proper ceremonial ritual; The baby must be roasted until dry. This must be completed before dawn, and should be performed in a cemetery. Once the rite is completed, the dry roasted Kumarn should be painted with Ya Lak (a kind of lacquer used to cover amulets and Takrut with gold leaf), and covered in gold leaf. This is the real reason why this effigy received the name of “Kumarn Tong” (which means “Golden Baby Boy”).

When you go places or enter and leave buildings you should speak to the Kumarn in your heart to accompany you
    •When you eat you should speak in your heart that the Kumarn should come to eat with you. Make a separate offering do not give from your own plate.
    •The Kumarn will call friends. customers and riches to you, lovers and admirers, and will chase away enemies and protect you and your household and family.
    •When bringing the Kumarn into the home for the first time, you should tell the Kumarn that the people in the house are friends and that the Kumarn should accept and look after them too.
    I have friends mention this to me.....so its reached international news.

Just makes the country look foolish, IMO

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Reminds me of Cabbagepatch dolls
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Is this the Doll of destiny?
    The Nation January 28, 2016

A fad for our peculiar times, child angels are much more than just cute companions

PERHAPS THE MOST disturbing aspect of the current craze for look thep (child angel) dolls is that it's fraught with superstition, recalling the kuman thong baby amulets that have lingered since the Ayutthaya Period - despite being made from dead babies' body parts.

At least kuman thong are normally kept discreetly in the home, as a household divinity. In sharp contrast, the child angels are being cuddled in public, pampered in restaurants and beauty parlours and given regular passenger seats on commercial flights.

The doll assembled in a factory and the amulet fashioned from flesh share several similarities. Both are treated as actual children. The owners believe they will bring them luck and wealth. Monks are asked to bless them.

Child-angel retailing really took off for shop owner Det-a-duh Nachariyanukul six years ago. The buyers are usually middle-aged women or "lonely people" in need of companionship, he says.

Thai Smile has told its cabin crews to treat the dolls like human passengers, from full service to reminders about fastening seatbelts. Customers can of course request an aisle seat or one by the window so the child angel to gaze out toward Heaven. Seating arrangements are important as well since passengers sitting nearby might regard the dolls - superstitiously - as potentially evil, as in the cinema devil doll Chucky.

"Nok Air will treat the child angel like any doll," says chief executive Patee Sarasin. "We don't encourage passengers to purchase individual seats for their dolls - it's expensive, after all - but we can't stop them from doing it."

"Bangkok Airways doesn't do anything special for the baby doll - we treat it as a doll," says Arisra Sangrit, a senior media-relations manager for the airline. "As long as the doll makes it through the security check and doesn't break any civil-aviation rules, the airline has no problem accommodating the dolls."

Bangkok Airways has seen passenger peculiarities before. Travellers have been known to book seats just for their designer handbags.

Several Bangkok restaurants are ready to serve children's meals to the dolls, and shops stock clothing and jewellery specifically for look thep. There are even beauty salons and nurseries catering to their whims.

Full article here

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Reminds me of Cabbagepatch dolls
    Except it was rare that adults had them

I had one.....a black one, named him Fred Marion

Seven_
    [QUOTE=Hatari;271120]I'm no fan, and there won't be one of these in our house.
    Last edited by Seven_; 14th August 2016 at 21:57.

The twilight zone ?

Funnier by the minute

Luk Thep are not human says Thai aviation authority

Bangkok (AFP) - Thailand's air safety body warned passengers Wednesday that lucky "child angel" dolls cannot be considered real people and must be properly stowed before take-off and landing.

The unusual clarification from the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) came in response to the latest superstitious craze sweeping the kingdom, where Thais are pampering lifelike dolls that are believed to contain the spirit of a real child hoping it will bring them good luck.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    So where do you acquire the soul of a small child? Do some come preloaded? Do you need an entire soul or can you just beat a little bit out of a fat kid? I'm interested in the technical details.
    Quarky likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast