Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Vocational vs High School

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Vocational vs High School

Ok.......I think I understand this a bit but obviously I am deciphering from what Ao tells me.

There is traditional high schools and then sort of 3 year vocational schools?
    Would that be correct?

And does anyone know anything about these vocational schools?

Here's the deal with us.
    My wife has been speaking to a teacher at what she says is the #1 public school in Bangkok or at least her area. And she knows this stuff, so if she says that's the case......I trust her on that.
    So to get in the school is 100k
    Absolutely no issue for me. Wouldn't care if if was 300k if the school was as legit as she says.
    Then on about 50k/yr

But she says it is a very competitive school, like straight A's and although he is smart he is more like a A/B student.

So now they talking about a vocational school for hospitality. But she is telling me that he can still go to University through the vocational school.

Any help or info is appreciated.

I will go see her old boss this weekend. They should be able to explain it to me better than she is buy good to get any info you guys know also.

Thanks

Damn I thought this was going to be a general question... I've always thought high school should have more of a vocational slant than it already does (I know its changing since I went to school), but would have loved it if when I was taught chemistry they linked it to how I could use chemistry once I left school... Jonty worked it out, but sometimes you need a carrot to inspire you...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    That sounds like the system that used to be in the uk. Depending on your 11+ exam result you either went to a grammar school or secondary modern (which did more vocational courses). Archaic and definitely keeps the poor/less well off in their place.

If you have aspirations to keep the options open for a university oversees he would have to go to high school I would have thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I've been through this (in Phuket) with one of my nieces.
    She went into the "vocational Stream" (Hospitality + Chinese) which definitely did Not lead directly to University -only after an extra year of study for a Diploma.
    The high school "stream" will go straight on to University (if smart enough).

As discussed before - the "Vocational schools" AKA Techs are hotbeds of gangs, drugs and violence.
    From all reports they are worse in Bangkok.

My advice is avoid at all cost - if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    I've been through this (in Phuket) with one of my nieces.
    She went into the "vocational Stream" (Hospitality + Chinese) which definitely did Not lead directly to University -only after an extra year of study for a Diploma.
    The high school "stream" will go straight on to University (if smart enough).

As discussed before - the "Vocational schools" AKA Techs are hotbeds of gangs, drugs and violence.
    From all reports they are worse in Bangkok.

My advice is avoid at all cost - if possible.
    Yeah
    It's not a question anymore
    I did more research on his school........it was ranked #19 in all high schools in Thailand and is 1 of the 2 best schools in Samut Prakan
    So no brainer................and a bargain at only 100k to get in

Thanks for the info though

Just amazing how "poor thinking" Ao can be at times
    I'm paying but she makes 100k in less than 2 months of work here
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 4th February 2016 at 23:31.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar

Just like in, say NYC, you are paying to get them out of that trouble as much as the actual education