Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thinking of purchasing Condo Bangkok

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

Thinking of purchasing Condo Bangkok

Just starting to think about maybe looking at a Condo or similar down the track in Bangkok, when a bit of land I have here sells.

Area wise, open to suggestions, but for convenience almost like a half way house from Bangkok central & Family, the Wongwian Yai area looks ideal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wongwian_Yai

Basically looking to hear from anyone who has gone down this path, or has some knowledge

- they do's & don'ts
    - what to expect for price
    - Pro's & Con's of Condo purchasing
    - good websites to go looking
    - Obscure outgoings
    - Cost factors down the track

Looking for 2 B/R, 2 bath at tops

Any info appreciated
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

You'd be well advised to ask the same Q's on ThaiVisa although I'd expect the usual -ve answers like "don't, BKK is sinking ..." and "why buy when you can rent" etc.

I like the general area you're considering and wouldn't mind a low-rise condo in near Thon Buri station ... easy walk to train or ferry. But for now, Ibis Riverside suits our BKK visitation needs.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    You'd be well advised to ask the same Q's on ThaiVisa although I'd expect the usual -ve answers like "don't, BKK is sinking ..." and "why buy when you can rent" etc.

I like the general area you're considering and wouldn't mind a low-rise condo in near Thon Buri station ... easy walk to train or ferry. But for now, Ibis Riverside suits our BKK visitation needs.
    Thanks KR. I am still along way from completely sold on the idea, plenty of variables with work, family here and there and what or may not happen in next 12 months with primarily family health issues.

That area South Thonburi i think ideal, but been a fussy bugger not keen on big high risers, so that narrows down the field of options

May try to Thai Geezer approach, as you say though fight your way through the doomsayers to gain some info
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    I haven't looked into it, however I understand government built apartments can be obtained for under 1 million baht...this was in Sathorn. Thais on low income (not sure if there is qualification of some sort) buy them off the government over something like 25 years, yet some pay outright. I am told there is a secondary market, thus available for purchase yet have no idea how to access other than getting to know the neighbours.

Basically a tiny concrete shell with 2 bedrooms, lounge, hong nam and kitchen (guess is around 40 sqm) in four or five storey buildings. They are not well maintained, yet at that price that is not such a big deal. Some look like they have upgraded somewhat e.g. proper windows and aircon.

This is obviously not the usual western style condo, yet I expect it could be made quite comfortable for shorter stints.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Check out The Fine ... low rise riverside condo. No idea on prices.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The Fine River
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    KR that condo right next to the Ibis is pretty nice, I think

And without a doubt, if I were to live in BKK.........it would be in Thonburi

EDIT.......is the Fine the one next to Ibis?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    บ้านเดี่ยว ทาวน์โฮม ค*นโด บ้านหรู *าพรวมทุกโครงการ จาก LH

The Minder Mansion was bought thru Land and House - if they have a project in the area where you wish to live they would definately be on my list of places to check out. As reputable as any company you will find in LOS.

I'll post some more when I get some time later today.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    KR that condo right next to the Ibis is pretty nice, I think

And without a doubt, if I were to live in BKK.........it would be in Thonburi

EDIT.......is the Fine the one next to Ibis?
    Yes, one of many in the vicinity. Can't recall names but there's another 2 tower blocks beside the Mall, closer to BTS and almost opposite the river park and ferry.
    Cheers, Rob.

Yes, one of many in the vicinity. Can't recall names but there's another 2 tower blocks beside the Mall, closer to BTS and almost opposite the river park and ferry.
    Yeah
    That street right after the Mall with some good local food shops
    Nice quiet street.

But that one next to IBIS is ideal.
    Real quiet but right off that main street

We were looking right into one apartment...... I would imagine it was much more than the 4mil range.....real spacious, gorgeous wood floors and river views

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yeah
    That street right after the Mall with some good local food shops
    Nice quiet street.

But that one next to IBIS is ideal.
    Real quiet but right off that main street

We were looking right into one apartment...... I would imagine it was much more than the 4mil range.....real spacious, gorgeous wood floors and river views
    I stayed there (Ibis) a couple of weeks back. There are now three open bars (mainly Thais) on the left on the walk to the BTS on the road running up beside the Mall. I didn't stop, although some nice Leo uniforms!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I stayed there (Ibis) a couple of weeks back. There are now three open bars (mainly Thais) on the left on the walk to the BTS on the road running up beside the Mall. I didn't stop, although some nice Leo uniforms!
    Oh
    That's cool......that is what was missing over that area.

I love it there..... Unfortunately my wife likes to be more in the action
    We staying at Aloft on Soi 11 for our one and only night in BKK in April

Cadet Gold
    viewing with interest even seen some rent to buy schemes as its a nightmare for for foreigners to get mortgages with a 30% deposit

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poseidon View Post
    viewing with interest even seen some rent to buy schemes as its a nightmare for for foreigners to get mortgages with a 30% deposit
    Personally I think a condo overseas ( especially somewhere like Thailand ) should be purchased with leftover cash , money you won't miss .... it was during your TR you weren't ever going back , now your thinking of borrowing money to invest in the country ..... Sorry but I think you're crazy
    Bawdy likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Cameras following poseidon looking to buy a condo in bangers.. This NEEDS to be made for a reality TV show. Maybe A Place in the Sun can do a special
    Stillearly likes this.

Cadet Gold
    property in England is crazy expensive Asia is a good place to think of investing i think lower property prices and possibly a stronger rental market than eastern europe just thinking outside the box to get on the housing ladder and get an investment going a bit studio condo flat for prices of 50k roughly in a good condo building with good rental potential sparks my curiosity. its research basically i need like a 20 k deposit and a massive salary before i can even think of buying in London there are doctors at my hospital going north because they can not afford to buy down here. doctors ffs what chance do i have to say nothing of the goverment cracking down on buy to let with large taxes dam straight i am looking at other options before i lay my money down
    Last edited by poseidon; 18th February 2016 at 05:13.

You can't jump from one ladder to another..the ladder doesn't stretch overseas.

Cadet Gold
    so how do people get rich from buying up property overseas then ?? surely profit is profit and rental income is rental income going into my bank (assuming once fees taxes and having some one check on the property and insurance there is a profit) im researching any way most likely will end up buying here (uk) and putting the cursed thing up for rent full stop. but does not hurt to check
    Last edited by poseidon; 18th February 2016 at 05:31.

Who says the fees, taxes, property management, service charges, maintenance and non occupancy periods leaves you with any profit whatsoever?...have to consider FX rates too.

And I don't know if anyone did ever get rich renting out a small 50k BKK condo.

Quote Originally Posted by poseidon View Post
    property in England is crazy expensive Asia is a good place to think of investing i think lower property prices and possibly a stronger rental market than eastern europe just thinking outside the box to get on the housing ladder and get an investment going a bit studio condo flat for prices of 50k roughly in a good condo building with good rental potential sparks my curiosity. its research basically i need like a 20 k deposit and a massive salary before i can even think of buying in London there are doctors at my hospital going north because they can not afford to buy down here. doctors ffs what chance do i have to say nothing of the goverment cracking down on buy to let with large taxes dam straight i am looking at other options before i lay my money down
    this might be a better bet for you mate
    Is this Britain's cheapest flat? One-bedroom flat costs less than car | Daily Mail Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast