Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: The importance of Travel Insurance ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I have travel insurance through my extended health insurance through work.
    I also have travel insurance for 30 days on my CC
    When I put in my claim to my work insurance for my Samui MB accident I made the mistake of saying I also had RBC travel insurance..... They fought with each other for 3 months over who would pay.

My wife has been in Thailand for what will be 5 months.
    She has been to the docot a few times and I think she can still claim it when she gets back.....going to check tomorrow

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Most often, you get minimal emergency assistance only but without insurance, you are then moved out as soon as possible to a public hospital well before you have recovered, let alone undergone any rehab or therapy. In any other circumstances you will not be admitted without proof of cover.
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Contradictory?
    I think I know why your confused by my statement. I Meant refuse you Entry or help.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Most often, you get minimal emergency assistance only but without insurance, you are then moved out as soon as possible to a public hospital well before you have recovered, let alone undergone any rehab or therapy. In any other circumstances you will not be admitted without proof of cover.
    The law in US is your health can't be impacted by a transfer

And to be honest.....doctors are pretty decent people.
    I can't see them releasing a patient in their care they don't think is ready over bills

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    after almost a decade in LOS doing as dangerous stuff as you could think of, my 2 biggest medical expenses came from golf and cricket
    Minder likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    The law in US is your health can't be impacted by a transfer

And to be honest.....doctors are pretty decent people.
    I can't see them releasing a patient in their care they don't think is ready over bills
    I can. Not saying any Doctor would transfer someone not in a fit state, but this generally occurs long before they might like.
    And yes, medicos are generally decent people.

When it comes to paying the bill, there are those who practice medicine and those who run hospitals. It's the latter group that determine when treatment stops and it's almost always when the legal limits are reached and insurance doesn't pick up the bill.

I can. Not saying any Doctor would transfer someone not in a fit state, but this generally occurs long before they might like.
    And yes, medicos are generally decent people.

When it comes to paying the bill, there are those who practice medicine and those who run hospitals. It's the latter group that determine when treatment stops and it's almost always when the legal limits are reached and insurance doesn't pick up the bill.

In the US....doctors have to sign off their patient being discharged and I've seen more than a few fight to keep the patients in and they are the total boss when it comes to that stuff.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    [.

[/COLOR]
    My GF is a nurse and shocked at how fast they get the patients out too early in Australia compared to back home after a major operation. Its about the money. Get them in get them out.

She works a lot with mental patient's, they let them stay longer.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    My GF is a nurse and shocked at how fast they get the patients out too early in Australia compared to back home after a major operation. Its about the money. Get them in get them out.

She works a lot with mental patient's, they let them stay longer.
    Yes.....definitely shorter hospital stays but you could look at that as a positive.
    I've also been around enough Thailand hospitals that they would absolutely try and keep you in as long as possible if insurance is paying and I'd assume the same in Philippines.

I've had 3 surgeries and have been released earlier than would have been a couple decades ago and was fine.....so obviously didn't need to stay in that long

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i've had a couple of ops in LOS and many back home and they definitely kept me in longer in LOS than needed. i assume because insurance was paying.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

In the US....doctors have to sign off their patient being discharged and I've seen more than a few fight to keep the patients in and they are the total boss when it comes to that stuff.

They are only in charge as long as it takes for them to sign a patient off. The conflict occurs when the pressure comes on earlier than they can support legally as medicos, and not a second longer.
    Anyone who pushed the limits further than that would soon be out of a job.

Looked at my travel policy, in there among the exclusions, guess the first one would cover any accident where alcohol or drugs involved
    I wonder how many Thai motorcycle taxis actually have licences?

Exclusions, if:
    Your claim arises if you act illegally or break any government prohibition or regulation including visa requirements

Your claim arises from being in control of any motorcycle (any 2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle with engine displacement over 50cc), moped or scooter (any 2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle with engine displacement under 50cc) without a current NZ motorcycle licence or you are a passenger travelling on any motorcycle, moped or scooter that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    ^ Thats what ive thought , that you must have a Motor Bike Licence in your home country to be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Looked at my travel policy, in there among the exclusions, guess the first one would cover any accident where alcohol or drugs involved
    I wonder how many Thai motorcycle taxis actually have licences?

Exclusions, if:
    Your claim arises if you act illegally or break any government prohibition or regulation including visa requirements

Your claim arises from being in control of any motorcycle (any 2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle with engine displacement over 50cc), moped or scooter (any 2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle with engine displacement under 50cc) without a current NZ motorcycle licence or you are a passenger travelling on any motorcycle, moped or scooter that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in
    On my MB accident......my travel insurance didn't even blink an eye about driving a MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    ^ Thats what ive thought , that you must have a Motor Bike Licence in your home country to be covered.
    Hadn't checked before, but for this company, yes

In Feb 2013 i had a cycling accident in Chanthaburi, hit by a motorbike/sidecar, resulting in hospital and a lot of dental, was covered by an accident policy i had through Kasikorn Bank, they refunded all hospital and some of dental, i had to pay and produce receipts, Kasikorn put money direct into my account
    Tingtong likes this.

I got a free one of those K-Bank policies when I opened my bank account there.
    Never had to claim on it thankfully, but nice to know it would have worked because I was a bit skeptical at the time...555

From UK's FCO June 2014; wonder if those % have improved since then

Recent research issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) has identified that over 1 in 3 young travellers do not consider travel insurance to be a necessary part of planning for their trip overseas.

Statistics identified that almost half of 16-24 year olds are willing to take the risk of travelling without insurance and 42% choose to travel without it because they believe travel insurance is too expensive

I got a free one of those K-Bank policies when I opened my bank account there.
    Never had to claim on it thankfully, but nice to know it would have worked because I was a bit skeptical at the time...555
    When you land in Panama they give all tourists health insurance for 30 days up to $7000usd
    That is unreal

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    When you land in Panama they give all tourists health insurance for 30 days up to $7000usd
    That is unreal
    7K would not cover much

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    7K would not cover much
    It's 7k free health insurance
    I'm not complaining and it would cover a lot of accidents.
    My accident was about 700cad all in

All I would have to do is show my Passport stamp in Panama and not pay a dime
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast