The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: The importance of Travel Insurance ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Ian will live till well over a hundred....

And Ian sounds like my dad 20 years ago... he saw someone with dementia back then and said to me and my brother... "if I ever end up like that... just shoot me..."

He doesn't see the funny side when I remind him now... 55

Ian... insurance can be quite cheap...
    I know all about insurance, DP. My father was an insurance salesman and had his own company for 55 years. 555
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I know all about insurance, DP. My father was an insurance salesman and had his own company for 55 years. 555
    So what's the problem? ..55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

So what's the problem? ..55
    No problem. I just don't give a fuck. Do guys who race motorbikes in the Isle of Man TT worry what is going to happen to them? I kind of believe in Karma. I should have been dead or permanently maimed a long time ago: falling off motorbikes, going over waterfalls, drowning while wading rivers, falling off cliffs, shot by Thai police, stabbed by a Filipino, spending 3 months in a hospital burn ward, etc, etc. They are all things that happened to me and I'm still here. I'll probably croak doing something simple.
    Bacon, OZZYGUY and Cobba like this.

No problem. I just don't give a fuck. Do guys who race motorbikes in the Isle of Man TT worry what is going to happen to them? I kind of believe in Karma. I should have been dead or permanently maimed a long time ago: falling off motorbikes, going over waterfalls, drowning while wading rivers, falling off cliffs, shot by Thai police, stabbed by a Filipino, spending 3 months in a hospital burn ward, etc, etc. They are all things that happened to me and I'm still here. I'll probably croak doing something simple.
    Well I'd leave the rats where they are then... karma...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    The problem is you don't give a fxuk

But maybe your friends do
    And they will do what always happens in Thailand, go around asking for a collection because some expat didn't want to hack it in the real world and work
    But then has his hand out

Obviously that doesn't apply to you, I know that

But maybe your friends do that for you when it all could be avoided for a small sum to pay for 6months when you are in Thailand
    Cobba likes this.

Ian... insurance can be quite cheap...
    Yes agree but, unlike some of you guys that stay/live over there for long durations each year, i have no idea on policy costs for this.

My stays are 2 weeks max and i think from memory around $150.......

Quote Originally Posted by Cobba View Post
    Yes agree but, unlike some of you guys that stay/live over there for long durations each year, i have no idea on policy costs for this.

When I stayed there for 3 months once... and in the same year did another 3 week trip... I had an annual policy that covered multi trips up to 90 days... was around 75 from memory. Can't remember if Aviva on that occasion or not. But loads to choose from.
    Cobba likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobba View Post

Cobb you want to have a look at the multi trip policys, they are not much more than that. Even if you did two trips you will be infront.

I just had a look on Compare the market website $212 for a single male 50 years old.

https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/...633.1525661771
    Cobba likes this.

My point as always is don't follow me as an example. If I break any laws they are only ones that put my own life in danger... speeding on a motorbike for example.

I'm a total anarchist, but only for me personally. I know that anarchy does not work for the general public. The world needs rules and laws to exist in harmony.

I don't lie, cheat, steal, or put anyone else's life in danger (unless they had it coming). I made that vow when I was 18 years old and given a second chance at being good, and I've kept my word. I have never knowingly gone after another man's woman, whether they are married or not, but I have been given many opportunities to do so in the past.

It is only personal self respect that has kept me honest. Lose that and you lose everything.

I don't suggest anyone follow my life style. I just tell what works for me.
    OZZYGUY and Cobba like this.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    UPDATE:
    MRI yesterday, results back to GP instantly, back tomorrow to find out the news.
    Something is up if needed back :S

Cadet Bronze
    hi fellas-- i'm uninsurable due to my health record --all corispondence from the experts note this so-- am i fucked as far as returning ?---i have a credit card with a 3 .500 limit in case i have kidney trouble?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    That doesn't make you uninsurable on all accounts though right? What if you get hit by a car? Unless your current health could contribute to you somehow being more ancient prone than others? And what about lost luggage, cancelled flights etc?
    Worry is a misuse of the imagination.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Bacon
    What Oldfella is on about is that they will cover him for basic insurance, but will not cover him for existing medical conditions.
    A lot of people cannot get cover that include things as existing conditions that they think is minor (like high blood pressure, high cholestrol etc) But if not disclosed, and you have a heart attack abroad, is a good reason for them to not cover you for heart attack etc, any surgery etc that you may need on your holiday. Him having kidney problems, I would imagine is on the serious side of things.

The holiday before I had my heart attack and a few previous holidays, I had not disclosed the high blood pressure, high cholestrol, because I did not treat it as a serious thing. I had had no heart pains, not shortage of breath etc, so no big deal to me at the time.

I had a trip to the UK when my mum was sick for a couple of weeks, 2 weeks in Thailand on the way back and then 4 weeks after I got back my main aortic valve gave up and was in big shit for a while.
    I ended up having triple bypass and my main aortic valve replaced with a mechanical one.

Had I had the problem happen in Thailand that happened after I got back, I could have been in big shit, as my Dr had warned me 3-4 years before my heart valve was a bit faulty. But was out of work, so could not afford the $700-800 test I had to have. So just left it.

7 Months after I came out of hospital, my gf booked a trip to Samui and I had a super hard job getting medical cover, so much was the problem, I said to her that I would not go on the trip (Glad I did not the British Lions won the 2013 series while I was in Samui)
    In the end I found a company called Covermore that would give me full cover for all of my existing conditions, since then, I have tried again with the other major coverer's and still all the same answers. You get to existing conditions, and then you are dead in the water.
    Still Covermore will cover me, so now I just book with them all the time. Oldfella, all I can suggest is that you try them and see if they will cover you. You never know.

Also tried credit card cover with the one company that offered cover (NAB) and same answer, get to existing conditions, and will give basic cover. not existing conditions.
    From memory for 3-4 weeks cover, I have had to pay a premium of about $250-300 on top of the basic cover. I do not find that over the top, as I am 64, and will only get worse the older I get.
    But to have the peace of mind that you are actually covered, takes a lot of stress out of the trip.

I probably over insure, but I would rather do that than end up with no cover.

I have had occasions to get medical checks done for my Warfain Levels mainly in Thailand, and have gone to medical centers and local hospitals to get those checks done for around $30 AUD and results available within 24-36 hours. Steer away from Bangkok Hospitals chain for those sort of checks as I was quoted 6000-9000 baht for this sort of checks that cost me between 1000-1500 baht in Patong & Samui at medical centres or local hospitals.

To make sure I was able to get the checks done that I needed to before I left Australia, I emailed the local hospitals in Samui and Patong and found that most had an international contact person in the hospital. I was well advised what to do and what to take with me if I needed to get the checks done, and make the tests a simple task to get done.

It is not something that I would normally do before if I was going away, but is good to have a contact point if anything happens.

In Patong earlier in the year in this year, I had to get a check done in Patong again, so went to the place on Beach Road I went to about 18 months ago, showed my passport again etc, and the lady behind the counter said, you have been before here and we still have all your details on file so no problem, no filling in of forms etc. So thought that was very professional that they still had my details after about 18-24 months since the last time I was there

If you have health problems, better to be over prepared not under prepared
    Last edited by chelski; 26th September 2018 at 01:14.
    Quarky, Rivo, Nomad and 3 others like this.

Good to know there are still options.

Have you had reports from people who were insured by companies like Covermore and needed emergency aid?

I'm contemplating hopping down to Cuba in February
    They demand proof of travel insurance at Immigration

I have it but Ao doesn't but can buy it at Immigration for her..............

Why no hab?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Why no hab?
    Since she is not here in Vancouver full time until possibly next summer she is not on my company insurance but has a great BUPA insurance in Thailand

My company insurance provides travel insurance but I figured easy just to buy it for her at Cuba airport since we'd only be there for 4 days or so(it's an hour flight from Tampa where we will be)

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Good to know there are still options.

Have you had reports from people who were insured by companies like Covermore and needed emergency aid?
    Bacon, I understand what you are saying, but reading insurance website reviews, its a bit like using Trip Advisor to assist with booking a hotel room. You never know the correct story until you get there and see it.

In the reviews that I read, you have those who are happy with what they receive, because they have filled out the application correctly and not forgot to add in existing conditions.
    Then there are those who are not, because they have tried to get away with it, try and make a claim and then (when refused), get on the internet slagging out the company because they think they should have been covered, but are not, because all details were not supplied.

The proof of the insurance cover will only happen, if you did get sick and had to claim, and lets hope that never happens.

Fir instance, I have to take a 1.25mg blood pressure tablet as part of my ongoing medication, not because I have high blood pressure, but to help keep my blood pressure around the normal pressure. But I still put down that I take it. Those are the sort of minor things that people might leave out on an application. But I feel it is best to include it, to save any small print arguments if I ever had to make a claim.

I really do not have much choice with who I insure with, so until they start knocking back my applications, I will go with them, and hope all ends up good, if I ever do have to make a claim.
    Its all I can do, other than take a chance, and I am not really in a position to do that

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Last time I needed travel insurance , cover more were the only one that would cover me for my pre existing cond for my heart problems . I was as always very careful to be very honest and list everything including meds .
    Insurance companies will forensically go over your claim and insurance info to try and get out of paying as we all know ...so best advice is be honest .

Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    Bacon, I understand what you are saying, but reading insurance website reviews, its a bit like using Trip Advisor to assist with booking a hotel room. You never know the correct story until you get there and see it.

In the reviews that I read, you have those who are happy with what they receive, because they have filled out the application correctly and not forgot to add in existing conditions.
    Then there are those who are not, because they have tried to get away with it, try and make a claim and then (when refused), get on the internet slagging out the company because they think they should have been covered, but are not, because all details were not supplied.

The proof of the insurance cover will only happen, if you did get sick and had to claim, and lets hope that never happens.

Fir instance, I have to take a 1.25mg blood pressure tablet as part of my ongoing medication, not because I have high blood pressure, but to help keep my blood pressure around the normal pressure. But I still put down that I take it. Those are the sort of minor things that people might leave out on an application. But I feel it is best to include it, to save any small print arguments if I ever had to make a claim.

I really do not have much choice with who I insure with, so until they start knocking back my applications, I will go with them, and hope all ends up good, if I ever do have to make a claim.
    Its all I can do, other than take a chance, and I am not really in a position to do that
    I understand, makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast