The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: The importance of Travel Insurance ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

The importance of Travel Insurance ...

Uninsured Brit In Phuket Moped Accident Has Left Her Parents With £35,000 Credit Card Debts | What's On Sukhumvit

24-year old Natasha Hutchinson was enjoying a 6 month holiday backpacking around Thailand when she was caught up in a horrific moped accident in Phuket at the end of December, leaving her with serious leg injuries.

Forgetting to take out travel insurance prior to her trip, her medical bills and associated costs have seen her parents take on £35,000 (฿1.8 million) worth of credit card debt in order to meet her bills and get her back to the UK, reports the Daily Mail.

Natasha, an accountancy graduate from Maesteg, Wales, was left with a broken femur, a smashed kneecap, septicaemia and extensive blood and skin loss after the moped she was riding on the back of was hit by a truck driver.

While Thai doctors signed Natasha off as fit to fly back to the UK last week, she has been warned that she may not walk again for another 9 months and she is currently in a wheelchair as her injuries heal.

“It’s every parent’s worst nightmare,” described her mother, Michelle Lucas.

“Natasha’s completely devastated. She set out for the adventure of a lifetime, and ended up nearly losing her leg thousands of miles from home. It’s so dangerous – Brits go to Thailand and think nothing of jumping on mopeds and doing things they’d never do at home.”

Natasha’s accident came just 2 months into her planned 6 month sojourn around the Kingdom.

Mrs Lucas and her police officer husband flew out to Natasha’s bedside shortly after the crash at the beginning of this year to provide support and to pay for her mounting hospital bills. A GoFundMe page was set up by one of Natasha’s friends to help alleviate some of the costs and, so far, over £8,500 has been raised by 401 people in the last 29 days.

Additional costs had to be put on her parents’ credit cards too: the return costs for Mrs Lucas and her husband to fly out quickly to Natasha totalled around £2,000 while a first class flight back to the UK for Natasha – who was reportedly too frail to fly economy – reached £3,000.

While Mrs Lucas said they were initially furious that Natasha had forgotten to get travel insurance, they attributed it to her understandable excitement at going on such a highly-anticipated trip.

“This was her gap-year between graduating and getting a job, and she couldn’t wait to let her hair down.

“We’re in a desperate situation and hope that people will sympathise with the situation,” Mrs Lucas continued.

“It’s cost an arm and a leg and Natasha has a long recovery ahead of her. But as long as she is safe, that’s all that matters.”

another story about the pitfalls of not bothering with travel insurance , don't leave home without it , I also think using pages like gofundme is pretty pathetic , asking friends , family and strangers for compensate you for your own stupidity .....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar

The importance of Travel Insurance ...

Fcuk yeah it is. I'm a sympathetic guy and I do really feel for the families more than anything. One reason I always do get insurance as my old man would pay a lot if I got in **** over there for repatriation etc (however he has said and its in my will to just fry me if I do die overseas etc). I would never want him paying thousands even hundreds of thousands cause my stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Distantpeak and Stillearly like this.

Cadet Gold
    I've always had travel insurance except once. I was in Thailand (with a short side trip to Malaysia) for about 35 days. I forgot my travel insurance only covers travels for 30 days at a time. I didn't think about it until I got home. Would just be my luck to get hurt in those last 5 days.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    If it was my newspaper I'd expect the Insurance industry to pay up front for these "don't let it happen to you" horror stories. Got to be good for business.
    Heaven holds a sense of wonder and I wanted to believe...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I got a yearly policy with QBE Travel, can travel as much as I want. Well worth the $165 a year.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I 'd never go without it, and it cost me alot having to pay for pre existing illness cover but you could lose everything without being covered.
    I was watching Thailand Embassy Show last night about a young guy who was hurt it a brawl outside a nightclub . his Insurance Company was trying to knock back his claim by saying his cover was void because they claim he was drunk at the time.
    It makes me wonder how many times travelers ARE doing the right thing and the Insurance mobs try and get out of paying....this is why i will normally not get on a bike in LOS .

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    It makes me wonder how many times travelers ARE doing the right thing and the Insurance mobs try and get out of paying....this is why i will normally not get on a bike in LOS .
    Your insurance cover should cover you on a motor bike, mine does but has engine cc restrictions.

I worked with insurance company's for most of my working life. Them paying my businesses. They will get out of something if they can but always refer to the policy wording. Insurance assessor and investigators have I told me story's how they check peoples social media to catch them out. Some people are so stupid.

I'm currently doing a travel insurance claim for when my luggage got stolen over Christmas in Cebu. If I didn't have insurance I would be 10k + AUD out of pocket.

^ I just checked the Mob I use "cover more" and they must have changed the policy on bikes. It used to ask ask if you have an Aust motor Bike Licence , now it just asks if you are going to ride in los and if yes the cost rises $17 on a 2 week trip.
    But I still think if you dont ride at home you probably shouldn't ride there, even if your financially covered money wont buy back your Leg, arm or Spine 555.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

I always have cover and on my last trip bought a one off policy to cover me for the 110 days I was away ...luckily I have never had to use it for a medical emergency and I also avoid motorbikes completely

I have had to claim twice for cancelled trips , the first time when a friend I was travelling with died of a heart attack the night before we were due to travel ... I cancelled what I could and they paid for the rest of my expenses. The other time was when my mother was dying of cancer, I had to cancel a trip and I tried to claim , but because I hadn't informed them of her illness they wouldn't pay up , it was in the small print but I didn't realise , plus when I booked I had no idea how aggressive her illness was ...

^But I still think if you dont ride at home you probably shouldn't ride there, even if your financially covered money wont buy back your Leg, arm or Spine 555.
    Agree 100%, I ride at home so love riding overseas but so many get on bikes and come off because they don't know what they are doing. Bali is bad for that.

I wonder if your coved on a MB taxi.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    In my policy (WorldCare with Allianz) you are as long as they are licenced.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Agree 100%, I ride at home so love riding overseas but so many get on bikes and come off because they don't know what they are doing. Bali is bad for that.

ive always wondered that too. hard one to prove either way if you fall of the back and the mb taxi guy f@cks off.
    I wonder how you would go if you had a MB crash and you bullsh!ted and said you were on a Push bike....The injuries would look the same(ish)
    Hatari likes this.

As ive got a dodgy Heart and ive always had in the back of my mind when traveling OS , Is what happens if you did have a heart attack or similar emergency and you didnt have your Insurance details on you. You were unconscious and alone and unable to tell them Yes I do have insurance and im with so n so insurance Co.
    Will you be taken to Hospital and worked on and sort the Detail out later? or what?
    Ive heard stories about the system in the USA where they will just refuse you entry and help if your uninsured (if that's true) at hospitals.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    ive always wondered that too. hard one to prove either way if you fall of the back and the mb taxi guy f@cks off.
    I wonder how you would go if you had a MB crash and you bullsh!ted and said you were on a Push bike....The injuries would look the same(ish)
    ^You would want to put lots of Facebook "holiday snaps" of you riding the "Pushie" everywhere, not burning around of your Click with a TG on the back...555
    Minder, OZZYGUY and Tingtong like this.

Should always carry a laminated card with your insurance details on it , especially if you travel alone
    Nomad, OZZYGUY, Tingtong and 1 others like this.

The injuries would look the same(ish)
    Just tell them the truth, you got tossed out of a LB bar onto the street and a MB hit you. 555

I have had lots of push bike accidents in LOS they don't look the same. That's a thing my insurance cover wont cover me for snow sports but it will for mountain biking. I ride Downhill mountain biking mainly in CM and around LOS its a lot more risk than skiing. If you don't know what Downhill mountain biking is its that extreme crazy stuff the young fellas do.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 11th February 2016 at 11:10.
    Changone and Tingtong like this.

Just tell them the truth, you got tossed out of a LB bar onto the street and a MB hit you. 555
    ^ there would probably some thing in the fine print about not being covered for being in LB Bars 555555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Should always carry a laminated card with your insurance details on it , especially if you travel alone
    Good Idea, im going to do that .

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Def have the "Emergency Assistance" 24 hour international phone number of your insurer with your photo ID in your wallet and/or passport . Even if you don't have the policy numbers etc, when the hospital calls, they will be able to confirm you have cover. In emergencies, they will (Likely) deal direct with the hospital.
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Ive heard stories about the system in the USA where they will just refuse you entry and help if your uninsured (if that's true) at hospitals.
    You seem to be saying 2 contradictory things.
    But it is illegal in the US for a hospital to refuse to care for a medical emergency.
    And I've seen numerous instances(spent my life in hospitals with my mom) where they rush in a patient through emergency and they are not rifling through their pockets to check if they have insurance.
    So in the case you mentioned I'd imagine they almost definitely would care for you and then get the details later.

At Whistler they get a lot of US tourists and at the clinic there is a sign at the door to state if you are a US citizen when you enter.
    I broke my collarbone and went there and with my accent they just assumed I wouldn't have Canadian health insurance.
    They were quite shocked when I pulled out my card 555

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast