Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Weird work policy(Thai employers)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Weird work policy(Thai employers)

So my wife is a waitress at a Thai restaurant.....she worked at one before and the Thai couple are fantastic..........they really are like our family here.
    They sold their restaurant so she went to work at another one, that is pretty popular.
    She made a boatload of money but the owner, a Thai lady, is certifiably nuts.

So her one big thing is she'd get the ****s if the TG's were friends and hung out together outside of work. She wouldn't come out and say it but she made it known................like she felt they would all conspire or something.
    A lot of times we like to go out after her shift and we would have to pretend we weren't going out with the other girls and meet them there...........just crazy

Well I was in this other Thai restaurant Saturday that my wife and I go to every Saturday for lunch.
    We, of course, have become friendly with the TG's there
    So I was talking to them the other day and mentioned that her boss doesn't like the TG's to be friends outside work
    They said their boss is the same at their restaurant

That is absolutely absurd

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    So my wife is a waitress at a Thai restaurant.....she worked at one before and the Thai couple are fantastic..........they really are like our family here.
    They sold their restaurant so she went to work at another one, that is pretty popular.
    She made a boatload of money but the owner, a Thai lady, is certifiably nuts.

So her one big thing is she'd get the ****s if the TG's were friends and hung out together outside of work. She wouldn't come out and say it but she made it known................like she felt they would all conspire or something.
    A lot of times we like to go out after her shift and we would have to pretend we weren't going out with the other girls and meet them there...........just crazy

Well I was in this other Thai restaurant Saturday that my wife and I go to every Saturday for lunch.
    We, of course, have become friendly with the TG's there
    So I was talking to them the other day and mentioned that her boss doesn't like the TG's to be friends outside work
    They said their boss is the same at their restaurant

That is absolutely absurd
    That is strange... maybe they are being paid different rates ??

We stopped at the Thai restaurant at Half Moon Bay Marina last year. The lady serving us asked Au if she wanted a job, said they all get together occasionally and sometimes go on picnics etc.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Sounds like Commie Thais...
    Bacon likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Theres always a lot of weird stuff going on behind the scenes in thai restaurants, we've had our share of all that. Different pay rates for the same level staff, tips getting siphoned off, staff paying for Thai food, and that's before all the bitching and moaning starts. (Now I know M26 is going to say none of that ever happens there)...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    As long as they don't hand out sandwiches, I think they should be able to hang out after work.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    it might not just be thais either.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    life is not fair..dont be to far down the ladder 555555

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Theres always a lot of weird stuff going on behind the scenes in thai restaurants, we've had our share of all that. Different pay rates for the same level staff, tips getting siphoned off, staff paying for Thai food, and that's before all the bitching and moaning starts. (Now I know M26 is going to say none of that ever happens there)...555
    That's a weird take.....why would I say it doesn't happen there when I started a thread about drama at Thai restaurants
    Just a bizarre take.

As such......I would kind of prefer she not work at them anymore
    The 1st one was just absolutely ideal( although the owners were very cheap with the tips and we suspect they took half)
    But besides that no drama.

She says she will go back to work at this one but I don't want her to work so much.
    Still a good 30-40hr week just not almost every night like she was

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    it might not just be thais either.
    No, restaurants are a tough gig.....I've worked at a few
    I remember I worked at one while in college and the chef was a raving asshole.

I also worked at out neighborhood pub when I was 15yrs old that has incredible food, so always busy
    Those guys in the kitchen were bastards for the 1st few months

That's a weird take.....why would I say it doesn't happen there when I started a thread about drama at Thai restaurants
    Just a bizarre take.

As such......I would kind of prefer she not work at them anymore
    The 1st one was just absolutely ideal( although the owners were very cheap with the tips and we suspect they took half)
    But besides that no drama.

She says she will go back to work at this one but I don't want her to work so much.
    Still a good 30-40hr week just not almost every night like she was

Just my bit of light humor pointing to your (sometimes a little contrary) responses to other posts....never mind.

IMO Thai restaurants are a bit "Bottom of the food chain" work for expat thais. You have to put up with a lot of bull for minimum money.
    Still it is a social contact of sorts where else it might be lacking, and that's important. Doesn't make much sense if your Boss won't allow it though....

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Just my bit of light humor pointing to your (sometimes a little contrary) responses to other posts....never mind.

IMO Thai restaurants are a bit "Bottom of the food chain" work for expat thais. You have to put up with a lot of bull for minimum money.
    Still it is a social contact of sorts where else it might be lacking, and that's important. Doesn't make much sense if your Boss won't allow it though....
    People make pretty decent money here
    The chefs are in high demand so get decent salaries(although they work them long hours)
    And my wife was making about 3-3500cad/mo and about 2k of that was cash......that is pretty good money

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    I have yet to eat at a Thai restaurant in America or Thailand where I was like "Wow! This is amazing!" It's usually the case of this is as it should be. I like thai food. But less than I did 10 years ago. I think it's pretty easy to make and consistent as long as the correct ingredients are used. It's pretty easy to mimic authentic thai at home if you have a decent Asian market handy. And these days you can't walk down the street without tripping over a Thai restaurant..55
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I have yet to eat at a Thai restaurant in America or Thailand where I was like "Wow! This is amazing!" It's usually the case of this is as it should be. I like thai food. But less than I did 10 years ago. I think it's pretty easy to make and consistent as long as the correct ingredients are used. It's pretty easy to mimic authentic thai at home if you have a decent Asian market handy. And these days you can't walk down the street without tripping over a Thai restaurant..55
    Funny enough, we have found many Thai places all around the US that my wife felt were very authentic
    There are a couple places in Boston she likes, loves one in particular
    NYC has a bunch of Issan restaurants now and this one in the East Village is her favorite

A problem I find is they are so afraid to make it too spicy they ignore your request for spicy and it can be too bland

I used to not be a fan of Thai food but it has overtaken Chinese because it is more flavorful
    Japanese, all of it from Ramen, Sushi and Izakaya's is by far my favorite

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    ^^^ Doesn't your wife order in thai but ? .... JK always orders for herself in Thai direct to the waiter to let them know she wants HOT ... i dont mind if she orders for me sometimes too
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    ^^^ Doesn't your wife order in thai but ? .... JK always orders for herself in Thai direct to the waiter to let them know she wants HOT ... i dont mind if she orders for me sometimes too
    It's when I am not with her is the issue
    And I see how nervous my wife and the other girls get about making it too spicy for customer
    They'd rather make it less spicy and then add to it than have to make a whole new dish because too spicy

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    A problem I find is they are so afraid to make it too spicy they ignore your request for spicy and it can be too bland
    Yeah I always ask for fresh-cut chilies on the side as backup 55.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Yeah I always ask for fresh-cut chilies on the side as backup 55.
    Thats brillant ... have to try and remember that ........ you must get some odd replies when you ask the waiter for that ?
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

I understand the girl's reluctance
    So many times customers insist on 4 or 5 star spicy and then complain it's too spicy.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    you must get some odd replies when you ask the waiter for that ?
    "ao prick song".........nah 555
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Ped Ped maaak....loi...555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast