Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hamburger meat in Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Hamburger meat in Thailand

Does anybody know what to look for when buying hamburger meat in Thailand?
    I am a but fussy and a lot of times I don't care for the burgers that restaurants have.

We will be having a big cook out for my wife's family in HH...........I want to make burgers and dogs for the kids(and I am sure some of the adults too!)

And for that matter..........any hot dog recommendations, although not as picky as I am with the burger meat

And best place to buy? Makro, Big C?

Thanks

Never seen fresh beef in our local Big C not even frozen minced beef ! Know a couple of local markets around Phrae that have some off the hoof beef but quality poor and needs a lot of tenderising / marinating with oyster sauce.
    Of course if you are talking pork as in close enough to Ham, again I buy from local traders. Beef is just not a big thing in rural LOS though we have found a good beef noodle restaurant in CNX and Lampang. My T.W. used to say "I don't like / eat beef" But I realise now she says that about everything she has not tried before, although she says she cried when she heard a local caribou was going for slaughter such that she paid for it to be saved.
    Last edited by mechime; 23rd March 2016 at 03:52.

Maybe they sell good frozen patties somewhere?

There is butcher's in HH but not looking to spend an arm and a leg for burgers just for the kids and some adults

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Makro has bulk minced beef you buy by the weight...its good enough for kids burgers..and its a reasonable price

They also have pre-made frozen beef (and pork) burger patties in boxes...

I'd go for the fresh stuff and season it up a bit with lots of salt, pepper (and onion if you like) ..it will allow you to make a decent sized hand patted burger that way
    mechime likes this.

Must join Makro, as they recently opened one near Phrae, I think I need a minimum spend but I am sure the Family can make that possible; cooked a meat spaghetti bolognese with local beef chopped at home, didn’t go down well, they preferred the tinned sardines with added garlic chilli and soy sauce on spaghetti, Oh well good luck M26, most of the sausages in supermarkets are rather sweet Chinese type and not cheap, have not looked for tinned or frozen hot dogs sure they are around as many street vendors sell cooked dogs. I can buy bagged ground black pepper in UK cheap at Pakistani stores but in LOS mostly pepper corns or expensive small bottles from TescoLotus.

No minimum spend, anyone can shop at Makro. If you don't have a Makro customer card they'll give you a temporary one while processing yours. It's our main shopping place, well ahead of BigC or Tesco Lotus. The beef mince is good but we mix with lean pork mince from Betagro and onion for a better flavour.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Chicken burgers !! ... thinly sliced breast/thigh chicken marinated in a lemon juice, oil, chilli flakes and garlic sauce. Don't forget to have the pineapple and a fried egg on top with all the usual lettuce, tomatoe etc .... maybe even take over a small bottle of Nandos peri peri sauce to really blow their socks off !! ... better than any mince burger, its a higher level ..555

Last edited by Sydney; 23rd March 2016 at 07:40.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by mechime View Post
    Must join Makro, as they recently opened one near Phrae, I think I need a minimum spend but I am sure the Family can make that possible; cooked a meat spaghetti bolognese with local beef chopped at home, didn’t go down well, they preferred the tinned sardines with added garlic chilli and soy sauce on spaghetti, Oh well good luck M26, most of the sausages in supermarkets are rather sweet Chinese type and not cheap, have not looked for tinned or frozen hot dogs sure they are around as many street vendors sell cooked dogs. I can buy bagged ground black pepper in UK cheap at Pakistani stores but in LOS mostly pepper corns or expensive small bottles from TescoLotus.
    Thanks Mechime.
    Makro if is and there is one right in HH
    I figured that

I'm not worried about people not liking things
    All the kids, most of the brothers and family have tried and liked pretty much everything we cooked for them
    As for sausages.....I am bringing about 5 packs of chorizo which has been a request to bring it

Just doing
    Steak tips(a Boston speciality) and chorizo/shrimp for my BIL's the 1st night
    The cook out for family:
    Hot dogs
    Hamburgers
    BBQ chicken wings
    Ribs
    Macaroni salad( every Thai loves my macaroni salad)
    Chicken salad

And all the Thai food they add

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    best burger patties i had in LOS came from korat chef but not sure who would sell them in HH....otherwise makro would be the best bet.

there's a really good beef comes out of a french run farm at sakhon nakhon. restaurant at seka uses it and everyone likes it there but again not sure where it's available elsewhere.

https://web.facebook.com/korat.chef?_rdr
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 23rd March 2016 at 09:49.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Makro usually stock good Aussie beef mince.
    If not go for the "Thai-French" beef which is a K1ng's project sponsoring Limosin/Charolais crosses.
    I just turned a kilo into spag bol yesterday.
    Sausages - yeah bring them - you are officially allowed 10kg/pp fresh food into Thailand.

(I read the Customs regulations 555!)
    Last edited by Zablive; 24th March 2016 at 15:27.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Chicken burgers !! ... thinly sliced breast/thigh chicken marinated in a lemon juice, oil, chilli flakes and garlic sauce. Don't forget to have the pineapple and a fried egg on top with all the usual lettuce, tomatoe etc .... maybe even take over a small bottle of Nandos peri peri sauce to really blow their socks off !! ... better than any mince burger, its a higher level ..555

nice to see you recomending good saffa sauce....i suppose with all the saffas in aussie nando's must be doing quiet well....they have the best adverts btw

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Sausages - yeah bring them - you are officially allowed 10kg/pp fresh food into Thailand.
    i find the cumberland fatboys at makro to be very good.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    nice to see you recomending good saffa sauce....i suppose with all the saffas in aussie nando's must be doing quiet well....they have the best adverts btw
    I'm bringing all my Boston sauces......stuff any saffa or Aussie stuff 555

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post

Love that sauce!

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    i find the cumberland fatboys at makro to be very good.

After 8 years I'm so over pork sausages,

I brought back recently 5kg of beef BBQ sausages from a country butcher - drool, drool.
    jontymate likes this.

Makro usually stock good Aussie beef mince.
    If not go for the "Thai-French" beef which is a K1ng's project sponsoring Limosin/Charolais crosses.
    I just turned a kilo into spag bol yesterday.

(I read the Customs regulations 555!)
    10kg is quite a lot, no? about 20lbs
    If so, that is good..........I've been requested to bring a lot of chorizo!! 555

But I have to check Vietnam's 1st!
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 24th March 2016 at 23:21.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    10kg is quite a lot, no? about 20lbs
    If so, that is good..........I've been requested to bring a lot of chorizo!! 555

But I have to check Vietnam's 1st!

22 pounds (unless your pounds are lightweight like your gallons!)

Yet them done in cryovac - should be no problems then.
    As for the VC - no idea?

22 pounds (unless your pounds are lightweight like your gallons!)

Yet them done in cryovac - should be no problems then.
    As for the VC - no idea?
    I was just reading.......seems pretty relaxed
    I will be fine.............just 5 or so wrapped packages of chorizo

Pain in the ass that I need to lug them to Saigon and Hanoi but they really do love these ones........so don't mind

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    ^^^^^^
    I am amazed Thai's like Macaroni Salad, I would not even eat it 555. How do you do it. Cannot eat or stand pasta salad yuk

You can buy salami/chorizo in Hua Hin. No need to bring it with you

Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    ^^^^^^
    I am amazed Thai's like Macaroni Salad, I would not even eat it 555. How do you do it. Cannot eat or stand pasta salad yuk

You can buy salami/chorizo in Hua Hin. No need to bring it with you
    They absolutely love it......every Thai that has had it and request I make it.

Elbow macaroni, diced red onions, light mayonnaise, few different color bell peppers, spicy salami and paprika

My wife and her family LOVE the chorizo we get at Costco here(I do too) and it has been requested only that chorizo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast