Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 2 Post By PGC
  • 2 Post By Quarky

Thread: River Kwai

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar

River Kwai

I am in BKK for 6 days this month and while I am there I am thinking of finally making a trip/tour to the River Kwai. I see there are plenty of day trip options available, but wondered if anyone could recommend the best way to do it.
    Doing 3 nights in Pattaya and 6 in Bangkok this time.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    If your there around the 25th it could be quite busy. Not been myself but plan on going one day.

Cadet Gold
    Was at Kanchanaburi last month for 2 nights stay.

Long way from Bangkok. Stayed at , Pungwaan Resort | , back to nature really.

Visited the Bridge, the cemetery, some cave...etc

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    http://www.thai-dreaming.com/forums/...ng-na/1601.htm

Lots of good info in Rivo's old thread.

If you take a day trip from BKK you can only get to River Kwai Bridge in Kanchanaburi and back, you won't get to Hellfire Pass and its museum, so try to get a tour that is going to the TBRC Museum alongside the Australian War Cemetery in Kanchanaburi town (it is a real museum, the Thai one called "JEATH" is too unstructured)

TBRC Online: THE THAILAND-BURMA RAILWAY CENTRE

Attachment 8281
    Dawn service at Hellfire Pass 2014

Life is the unexpected ...

In 2010 I took a day special, runs at weekends, train from Hua Lamphong, bought the ticket beforehand which crossed the bridge and went onto the pass Nam Tok Sai Yok Noi where some also enjoyed the water fall, mostly Thai Families and no air-con but the conductor kept a report and quiz’s for the families; cost next to nought and left early with stops also at a market / Pathom Chedi for breakfast, the bridge and cemetery But took all day as on the single track we had to wait twice for oncoming trains.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like an interesting place to visit but an early start is needed to make the most of it. The train or bus seems to be the popular ways of getting there but the timings are tight. I wonder if hiring a taxi/ driver is a better way of doing it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like an interesting place to visit but an early start is needed to make the most of it. The train or bus seems to be the popular ways of getting there but the timings are tight. I wonder if hiring a taxi/ driver is a better way of doing it.
    I did it with a taxi about 4500tb I think it was. Left BKK early around 6.30am. Get out to Hell fire pass too and the other bridge (cannot remember the name sorry) that is around 45kms extra well worth seeing. I actually liked the other bridge better and if I did it again would stay out that way a night.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    What other bridge? Do you mean the Wampo Viaduct that train travels over very slowly? Hate to think I have missed something worth seeing in that area.

Bridge on the River Kwai & Hellfire Pass - Asia Backpackers
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I've been going to Kanchanaburi for 13 years. That is where the kids I've supported live. I've done the Erawan water falls too many times to count. Kanchanaburi is about a 2 hour bus ride from Bangkok's southern bus station west of the city. You get the tickets on the third floor, but the busses leave from the ground level. It is well worth spending a couple days there. You can hire a songthow (little pickup) for about 1000 baht return trip from Kanchanaburi to the falls. Or go on one of their tours where you return on the death railway. Just do the half trip on the train because the full return trip by train takes too long and becomes boring. If you rent a scooter in town you can cross the river and visit a couple of interesting cave temples.

The bar scene is very limited in Kanchanaburi, but it does exist. The gals are not the quality of the ones in Pattaya, though... unless you get lucky. Room rates vary from 350 baht a night to about 1500 baht depending on what you expect.

I've got hundreds of photos of the whole area. I've ridden my motorbike down there many times and years ago I always rented a scooter.

Quarky, Minder, Rivo and 2 others like this.

PGC
    Ultimately the bridge itself is a big disappointment as it's nothing like the bridge in the film. They could for Plebs like me build a replica....Keep me happy anyway.
    Quarky and Rockitt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Ultimately the bridge itself is a big disappointment as it's nothing like the bridge in the film. They could for Plebs like me build a replica....Keep me happy anyway.
    True enough, but every year in late November or early December they have a re-enactment of the bombing of the bridge. It is worth watching if you get there early enough to get a seat. Otherwise there will be a mass of Thais standing between you and the show.

it is like visiting temples the first time you come to Thailand. They are interesting at first, but After a while you get templed out and don't want to look at any more. Too much of the same thing over and over again. Just about everything in Thailand is a replica today... depending on what they think tourists might want to see. The moat and brick wall in Chiang Mai is all just a replica.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ really??
    News to me 55
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

So everything is fake in Thailand? Even the love? I've been duped... 55
    Rockitt and Ian Forbes like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    So everything is fake in Thailand? Even the love? I've been duped... 55
    Not totally, DP, but it is as a general rule... yes. 555

Thai women have learned the hard way about Thai men, and after getting burned a few times they harden up and start playing the game. They know the value of a stable income and a man who isn't a butterfly. Most often they are happy with that. The young, pretty ones without kids know their own attraction and they use it for everything they can. It is still all a big game to them.

As long as everyone knows the rules and sticks with them, then nobody gets hurt.