Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Tours Good or Bad

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar

Tours Good or Bad

Have ever been on a Organised tour that you really liked or really hated?

Well I went on a shocker last week while in Phuket. Ive never been a fan of organised tours but went on this one because my mate who I was with Japanese Girlfriend and her mum wanted to go to an Island for the day.

I had F all else to do so went along with them for the day, how bad could it be ? 55555
    They decide on the Coral IslandTour which Is one of the Island you can see from Rawai . It was on the brochure for 1500 bht but haggled down to 1000. so bus , boat ,lunch and snorkeling it seemed to be good value.

The bus trip to the wharf was ok but when we got there OMG it was crazy. There was thousands of Chinese all yelling , pushing and generally being the c@nts that they are. Well this was to be the theme of the day.

Trip over was bumpy but short and after getting of the boat and walking along one of those plastic flexible wharfs which I had to help the poor 72 yr old Japanese Mother to walk on, (nearly fell in 55). Then we were corralled into a group and given the most patronising information talks Ive had , which turned out to be a laugh.

We ended up going for a Snorkel in the filthy water to look at the dead Coral, plastic bags and other junk and was surprised to see some colorful fish living amongst the sh!t.

I was looking forward to lunch which was very ordinary and when that was over me and mate went for a walk along the length of the beach. No surprises it was filthy. All I could think of was why they couldn't even clean up the area near there tour compound. Hopeless.

When we got back we could see nothing else to do for the next 2 hrs until we got off this sh!t hole, but have a few beers and see who could spot the chinese girl with the biggest Jugs 55.

All in all in It wasn't good but, I wasn't expecting much as I find most tours to be pretty ordinary.
    How about you Guys?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    You must have booked with this mob...555

Tingtong likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I haven't been on a tour in years because I've pretty much done them all and now have my own transportation. But, 15 years ago I thought most were pretty good value for the money. Most were in the 1500 baht for the day range.

1. From Bangkok they picked us up at our hotel in the morning and took us to Ayutthaya to look at the ruins and then returned on a boat cruise down the Ping River. Good value for a full day which included lunch on the boat.
    2. From Kanchanaburi it was 800 baht bus ride to Erawan waterfalls, and then back on the death railway train to the bridge. Now I just hire a little pickup for the day and take my kids to the falls. Cost is only 1000 baht
    3. When I didn't know better I did the tiger farm trip for about 600 baht from Kanchanaburi. A total waste of money and a real scam by phony monks.
    4. Tiger zoo and elephant show at a tour out of Pattaya. It was interesting and worth the money... about 800 baht.
    5. From Chiang Mai to Doi Inthanon and the waterfalls along the way. It was an all day trip and cost about 1500 baht. It is 80 km from Chiang Mai to the highest point in Thailand and thought is was worth the money. I've since done it many times on my motorbike.
    6. River rafting and elephant tour on the Mae Wang river from Chiang Mai for about 1000 baht. Good trip if done before Christmas when the water is higher.
    7. Several other elephant tour trips from Chiang Mai for about 2000 baht. Only marginally worth while depending on your interests.
    PeteGill and Tingtong like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    ^^^ Done the Doi Inthaton tour twice, last year with a friend from home who was in CM the same time as me. Decent value for money if you don't have your own transport to get there and back. They allow more than enough time at each stop off. The food last time around was not that great though.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I've done the phang nga bay sea kayak tour twice and would recommend it.
    One of my favourite places in the world and a great day out.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I don't really like tours and if I do go on a water related tour, I try and book my own boat so it is a bit personalized...........costs a lot more but worth it

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Personally I have enjoyed all the ones I've done. All good value for money and get to meet people. Only thing don't like is the driving of the mini bus but nowt you can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    Personally I have enjoyed all the ones I've done. All good value for money and get to meet people. Only thing don't like is the driving of the mini bus but nowt you can do about that.
    When my buddy and I were in Colombia, they had boat tours out to beaches only reachable by boat
    We asked the guy if he could take us to some other beach he wasn't taking anyone else.........we paid him like 20usd more....so 10usd each
    He brought us to this amazing secluded beach..............like they describe paradise
    We were the only ones on the beach for 3 hours

Tours are great if you are new to an area and have no idea how to get around. They facilitate getting to all the popular local attractions as quickly and easily as possible. After you get to understand the surroundings then you can specialize a tour for just your own interests. I wanted to start a specialized tour company with my second wife when I retired. Unfortunately for her, she split before I retired. You can then tailor a trip just for a customer. There is lots to see and do on Vancouver Island, but you have to know a customer's interests first. Some folks want to golf every day, some want to hike and others want to fish. Their wives want to go shopping or get pampered in salons. Once you know a clients interests you can show them around and give them value for their dollar.
    PeteGill likes this.

My friend and are going on a street food tour in Hanoi that sounds fun........they limit it to 8 people.

We are also going on a cycling tour in the countryside..............then up the ride with dinner at the tour operator's house..........which everyone raves about

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    My friend and are going on a street food tour in Hanoi that sounds fun........they limit it to 8 people.

We are also going on a cycling tour in the countryside..............then up the ride with dinner at the tour operator's house..........which everyone raves about
    That sounds like a good one and fits a niche for specialized customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I've done the phang nga bay sea kayak tour twice and would recommend it.
    One of my favourite places in the world and a great day out.
    Yeah Moo, ive done that one too and thought it was ok. The only thing was our tour included James bond Island which was a punish, but the canoeing through the limestone caves was good. Then Lunch at Muslim Floating village , finishing the day with swimming at one of the Islands on the way back .
    I normally recommend this trip to first time visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

Id like to do one of those Cycling tours, seeing thing at a slower pace would be a good way to take things in and get some exercise at the same time....But you wouldn't want to have been riding last week in LOS when I was there, the temp was over 35 deg every day. The days started out hot and after Midday it kept getting hotter, Blimey !

One tour id like to do is to Issan (?) to the factory where they make the Bar Girls 5555
    Quarky, Changone and Ian Forbes like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    One tour id like to do is to Issan (?) to the factory where they make the Bar Girls 5555
    Marry one and she will take you there 5555
    Ian Forbes likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Well blow me down....there really is one....555

Visit To An Issan Bar Girl Factory by Pants Elk | Mango Unchained

Quarky, Minder, PeteGill and 2 others like this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Did a day tour from Ao Nang to 3 or 4 islands on a long boat. On ours, there was only 2 couples so not so bad. Went to Tup Island, Poda Island, Chicken Island & another one whose name escapes me at present. It was a beautiful sunny day, so the sea was calm. Not sure if I would ever want to venture out if the weather did not look to good though.
    Lunch was supplied as a picnic lunch from one if the islands cafe's, so just sat on the beach and ate it there. All in all was a great trip, and one that I would have no problem recommending to anyone visiting there. From memory we got about 1 hour or so on each island.
    This will give you some idea on what the content of the trip is.
    Krabi Island Hopping Tour - 4 island tour by Longtail and speedboat
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    with all due respect Ting tong..what do you expect for 1000 baht...seems quiet a lot 5555555...you get whatt you pay for...bm brians wife has quiet a few booths and are very well priced.....

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    with all due respect Ting tong..what do you expect for 1000 baht...seems quiet a lot 5555555...you get whatt you pay for...bm brians wife has quiet a few booths and are very well priced.....
    I agree , the price was good..but that was all 55

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Marry one and she will take you there 5555
    Sounds a bit like taking Coal to Newcastle 5555
    PeteGill and Changone like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast