Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Son in law is becoming a monk.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar

Son in law is becoming a monk.

Nuís Monk Celebrations

Well this trip i was planning on getting some work done on the house! Yeah well that all went out the window once Sonkran was over as the amount of planning and work going into my son inlaws Becoming a monk celebrations took precedence !

The work started a week out !
    1st , Nu started his preparations for the transition 2 days before Sonkran started. Didnít look very happy about missing out on the drinking and partying ,as he has spent the last 3 years in jail because of using Yaba. Got out a month ago .
    The decision to become a monk , was brought about by the death of his 2 1/2 year old daughter whilst he was inside.
    Punishing himself ,as he only got to know her for 3 months before he was incarcerated !
    Som Nom Nah so to speak .
    He will probably only do about 3 to 6 months as a monk. (all this expense for such a shortish time doesnít really seem justified,but then this is Thailand ) This self imposed punishment , wonít do him any harm , thatís for sure.

Nu has been sleeping and spending 90% of his time at the Temple since the 10th of April. As such he can not drink alcohol etc. nothing but water . He can still eat after 11am unlike the actual monks at this stage, however that will change after the 23/24 when it all happens. He has been coming back to the Baan each night for food (and boy has he been putting it away as if he in storage mode ) .

The day of dancing and partying etc of Sonkran saw him sitting on a chair in the middle of it all going on around him ,and he could only drink water whilst he was there . Obviously all the drunk relatives made sure he felt a part of it, but the look on his face at times said it all ! Iím not enjoying this !

Nu and his wife TubTim (mother of his deceased Daughter )

About an hour later , he was made to sit in the back on a truck in full view of everyone and everything , as if to get him ready for his upcoming life as a Monk. Harsh , but he took it well and didnít complain exect about sitting in the back of the truck in the 42 degree heat that day.

I will continue with more of the work and preparations of the big day.
    kaptainrob, Rivo, 1080 and 1 others like this.
    !qq!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    He looks like a good kid Gaz, certainly not like someone who had to spend 3 years for drug use .. was that just using or was there some selling going on as well ... geez they are hard on drug users there ..

Hope this sorts him out moving forward
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Hi Sydney, yes he is actually a good kid !
    He just got caught using with a couple of friends and the police raided them ! Yes 3 years for using ! But that was more for association with his friend who was also a known small time seller.
    Sydney likes this.
    !qq!

The last day of Sonkran and it is time to pay respect to the Grandmother and all the family has gathered.
    How lucky is the 91 yo paraplegic grandmother to have a Monk for a grandson to wash her feet !

Nu also took the opportunity to pay respect to his own mother ! Gees things are changing 555 . everyone had a good laugh at this .

I am also lucky to have him around and chatting to me everyday , and explaining everything that is about to happen with the son in law. He is Tane’s cousin and speaks perfect English ! As Kaptain Rob can attest to

Sonkran is over and everything has switched to Preparations for the big 2 days.

An army of relatives has defended on our Baan to start getting things in place for the cooking and decorating the house.
    Meanwhile Tane (my wife ) , her son and I are of to town to get the invitations printed , organise for the tables and chairs and arrange for the stage hire. Also order the 2 x 100kilo pigs for slaughtering the day of the party.

the invitation. (he and his cousin are doing it together )

The uncles have been up to the local Village Temple and come back with the very large tent/marque to set up for the cooking to take place under. They have set it up where i normal park the car in the front of the house. Awesome ! Now Tane can understand what I have been trying to tell her and building a carport there ! Protects the front room from the searing afternoon sun ! Can definitely feel the difference .

The uncle now comes back with an extra 2 large wooden trestle/tables that all Thai’s sit on . Now all 4 of them are placed under the tent , for use as cooking and food prep station .

Last edited by Gazmac; 19th April 2016 at 15:15.
    Sydney, Minder, PeteGill and 4 others like this.
    !qq!

You'll enjoy watching the food prep Gaz.... chop chop chop, bits of moo everywhere and all done while sitting cross-legged on the trestles. 55
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Did you know any of this was on the cards before you arrived Gaz...555
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

[QUOTE]Did you know any of this was on the cards before you arrived Gaz...555/QUOTE]

Yes , but no where near the extent ! 5555. Tane has been working her little butt of the get the money together for it for around 8 months !
    She is paying for it all by herself . Basically I said , ok I will pay for everything here as in day to day household stuff, water , electric, rent etc etc etc .
    You put all your money away for this .
    Well she came to Thailand with 9.5k in Aus Dollars.
    She has been budgeting on around 200k Baht for this. Now i see why ! Its looking like it will be around the 140 to 160k Baht mark.

I'll get around some more tonight , but it will be a week in the making as its not until the weekend !
    Changone likes this.
    !qq!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Gazmac;281980]
    Did you know any of this was on the cards before you arrived Gaz...555/QUOTE]

Yes , but no where near the extent ! 5555. Tane has been working her little butt of the get the money together for it for around 8 months !
    She is paying for it all by herself . Basically I said , ok I will pay for everything here as in day to day household stuff, water , electric, rent etc etc etc .
    You put all your money away for this .
    Well she came to Thailand with 9.5k in Aus Dollars.
    She has been budgeting on around 200k Baht for this. Now i see why ! Its looking like it will be around the 140 to 160k Baht mark.

I'll get around some more tonight , but it will be a week in the making as its not until the weekend !
    We had my 4 BIL's this past weekend, but it was more simple and very traditional (not that this one isn't)

But my wife is going to do her son's up big and I don't mind at all.
    Said be about 300k
    I got 5 years to save 2500cad per year 555

Have fun Gazmac
    Gazmac and Changone like this.

Oh it will be fun ! 2 days of celebrations ! Day 1 arty and dancing from around 12 mid day until about 2am . Day 2 artying and dancing at the small temple for a few hours and then off to the Big Temple to do the 2 hours of loud music and dancing 3 times around it. Then family inside for him to be confirmed by the Big Boss Monk.
    !qq!

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Enjoying the updates Gaz. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    Oh it will be fun ! 2 days of celebrations ! Day 1 arty and dancing from around 12 mid day until about 2am . Day 2 artying and dancing at the small temple for a few hours and then off to the Big Temple to do the 2 hours of loud music and dancing 3 times around it. Then family inside for him to be confirmed by the Big Boss Monk.
    We all almost died dancing around 3 times!! It had to be 43 C, at least.
    My wife was leading the dancing and after I was going to make fun of her for complaining about being so hot but she looked seriously ill and shaking.
    I had to carry my nephew because he did pass out and I was gassed!! My shirt soaked through.
    Inside the temple took forever because had 4 of them doing it

Hopefully your weather is a bit cooler
    But it was awesome to be part of it regardless

Its still up around the 40 mark ATM , however , we have started to get a shower of rain each night ,so its making it very sticky indeed !
    !qq!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Thanks Gazmac. An interesting read and look in to another side of Thai culture.

The family has scattered to all parts of the surrounding towns to start picking up supplies for cooking and the utensils to do it with . OMG I thought westerners went over board on catering ! WRONG ! The Thais leave us for dead !
    I have never seen so many silver bowls just for rice . But I guess I really should have expected it 555.

Tane went to the bank whilst we were out getting more food supplies , and came back with bags and bags of Baht coins ! Hmmm , what the hell is this for ? She then explained while at a crap shop buying bags and bags of small cloth flower shaped cutouts, that each one of these flowers has a coins placed into the bottom of them and thrown out to the crowd as good luck when the 3 times around the temple happens.
    So back at the Baan , and an assembly group gets to work making literally hundreds of these things ! I mean 3 days in , and they are still making them !

We have been given 2 large sacks of rice by one of the relatives . So now another production line has started to sort it . Never knew it was such an important thing ! Sorting the good from the bad lol.

A very short vid to show how serious they all were about it !
    http://vid1241.photobucket.com/album...psw7fhiwbp.mp4

5 days out and the food preps have started . People just sitting there peeling Challots and Garlic.
    Others dry roasting Chillies for making the chill flakes and powder.

The next day , Tane goes shopping with her brother , guess what she brings back , MORE chillies Garlic and Challots & Ginger !

Oh sorry , did forget to mention even more rice ?
    Quarky, Sydney, PeteGill and 3 others like this.
    !qq!

Here are some of the cooking pots etc that arrived for it !

Every pice has to be washed and scrubbed, there was actually a production line for this as well , however this is just one person towards the end .
    !qq!

Also that day , they decided that the only toilet inside the house was not going to cut it for the amount of people expected , so a second one (Thai Style ) was built in full working order down in the back right hand corner of the block. And will remain as a permanent installation.

To be honest , it will be a good thing for the future and it has full running water to it , and i will be able to attach some taps etc for irrigation of gardens etc later on .

Just to the left of it , is a small dam on our property, so the built a quick Thai style fence around it in case of wandering drunkards 555. Yeah right ! As if that fence is going to stop someone falling in !

PeteGill and Rivo like this.
    !qq!

Lunch today apparently ! There are 2 of them in there and still alive at this stage 555

Well i don't know what happened to the snakes , but they disappeared and Never came back as the Pad Kaprow Gnoo that they said it would be .
    quiksilva and Hatari like this.
    !qq!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    How many people coming to this event Gaz .... 400 ? .. the organization is just amazing, the big bags of chillies too wow!!

First thing i reflected on when looking at your great photos, is "sense of community" and how in the western world, there isn't a lot of that ..

Some of this is not people not wanting it ... but just no one having the spare time to give up to friends and family and help like that ...

This is turning into a really interesting and up close thread ... cheers mate
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

So... do you think you ate these at some point?

My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast