Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Driving in Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Driving in Thailand

I don't know what it is but it seems to exhaust me.

The last 2 out of 3 trips to Thailand I did a lot of driving and although I like the freedom of driving I am thrilled when I can drop the car off.

I don't know of it is the pace of the cars, that I feel the need to be more aware but I am downright spent after 5-6 days with the car.
    Also, I hate those U-turns.....both just driving past one and making sure no one pulls out like an idiot or trying to use them.

I think next holiday I will forgo driving, maybe just a day trip here and there

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I have never driven in LOS but have done 1000s of kms on a motor bike. I just haven't had the need to drive. As far as a motor bike goes I feel more relaxed and safe than Australia and enjoy riding in LOS.

Now in the Phil's no way would I drive those guys are completely nuts. I drive a bike around the small towns but that's it.

Maybe next time take some Valium first. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I know how you feel.

Being a motorcycle rider I have developed a very keen peripheral awareness. Our friend Mr Forbes and those others that have spent considerable time in the saddle will also have this.

However, I still encounter near misses that keep me very aware of what is happening around me when driving in Thailand
    Last edited by Cuzzy; 26th April 2016 at 21:10.
    TLandHim likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I like the way thai traffic flows and like how it works much more than back home.
    I know they're crazy etc etc but I never had any problems in more than 100k k's of driving there.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    It's something you get used to...most people don't follow the hard and fast rules and lots of corners are cut...but when you get used to the flow it all kinda works...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I enjoy city riding, like in BKK. It's full on 555
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    It's something you get used to...most people don't follow the hard and fast rules and lots of corners are cut...but when you get used to the flow it all kinda works...
    But Thailand is the second most dangerous country (in road safety terms) in the World.....

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/...d-road-deaths/

Namibia, at No 1, is just worse than Thailand.

^ drunk,no helmet and after dark on a bike puts you in a high risk group. ...oops 55
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    But Thailand is the second most dangerous country (in road safety terms) in the World.....

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/...d-road-deaths/

Namibia, at No 1, is just worse than Thailand.
    and yet after riding and driving here for 20+ years as a visitor and 7 years living here I am fairly relaxed on the road these days...moreso than driving in Sydney commuter traffic that is for sure

Seven_
    I prefer driving in Thailand then the west. You just just need to relax and go with the flow. If your an uptight sort of driver then Thailand's roads will do your head in.

As others have said, having a motorcycling background helps a lot, as your much more aware of your surroundings, but also much more relaxed from years of expecting the unexpected, not being seen, cars pulling out in front of you and judging what a car driver may do by observing the way they are driving.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    When you say get used to the flow. You mean not caring if you die because of Buddhism...
    Tingtong likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

I actually don't think the overall driving is bad in Thailand.........except for the ridiculous tailgating

I just think it is me being super aware because, even though I have driven a lot in Thailand.........it is still relatively new

Getting on and off the throttle at just the right time can cure tailgating issues

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I belive riding in Thailand and other Asian locations has made me a better driver back home. Im way more relaxed, aware more of whats around me and can even merge now.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Getting on and off the throttle at just the right time can cure tailgating issues
    Yup. Off the throttle as they approach your back bumper. Back on the throttle as soon as they brake.
    Repeat as necessary.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

I think it's one of the most idiotic driving issues I have ever seen in any country.
    There are clearly cars in front so you can't go any faster and these morons come right up onto you.

I had one for about 100 ks yesterday.
    It was female P plater sitting behind a big truck in front with no inclination of passing until I passed both. She then found the guts to do it and subsequently more after it and after each catching up to me and latching on to the rear of my truck again. Wasn't until the next built up area I could employ the method described above that she finally backed off.. pretty sure she wouldve had a problem if I'd braked for a roo...fkn idiot! !
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 28th April 2016 at 16:17.

I had one for about 100 ks yesterday.
    It was female P plater sitting behind a big truck in front with no inclination of passing until I passed both. She then found the guts to do it and subsequently more after it and each after catching up to me and latching on to the rear of my truck again. Wasn't until the next built up area I could employ the method described above that she finally backed off.. pretty sure she wouldve had a problem if I'd braked for a roo...fkn idiot! !
    Yeah, makes me want to get a ****box, some safety gear and go onto the road and just hit the brake all day 555

there was another driving thread on here...

http://www.thai-dreaming.com/forums/...-kaen/3103.htm

Driving pic of the day

28 April 2016

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast