Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Kon Thai Yai

Kon Thai Yai

I have just started building in Pasang, Lamphun. I was surprised the other day when the Thai workers had a day off to go to Immigration in CM to do 90 day reports. I found this an interesting situation as it appeared to me that there exists a conundrum of possibly "displaced Thai" with limited legal rights, even though the Thai-Yai people have lived in Thailand for generations.

I have asked a few TG's about it but I have only basically got that they live in a type of "no-mans land", between Burma and Thailand, they can live and work here; but do not have the full range of benefits of Thai. Evidently, way, way back they had a say in it from the very start and were happy to accept their position.

Any in-put to help me understand would be appreciated.

Mods, if this is deemed political or can cause problems, please delete.
    Last edited by retdent; 27th April 2016 at 20:37. Reason: grammar, scared of Chob, 55

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ "happy to accept" or told that their existence in Thailand would be left alone if they provided cheap labour and didn't cause trouble...but that they would have none of the usual Thai citizens right

Like many other Burmese,Laos and Cambodian refugees they are tolerated provided they work for a miniscule wage and STFU...however every now and then there is a clampdown and truck loads are exported

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Aren't they shan?
    There's many many in the north who have no citizenship. ..hilltribes,the Chinese at doi me salong etc etc doi mae salong is an interesting place and well worth a visit or 2
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Dave, Tai Yai's are also known as Shan people and come from Burma, Laos and even China. They are are not Thai and have no rights to ID card, Passport etc,. so they live in hill villages or work for below standard wages.

Most are hard-working honest labourers, often husband/wife/son/daughter teams or close family unit. Whilst they can live in the hills without any legal status as soon as they seek work a 'Permit' is necessary. Thai employment managers [semi-slave traders] hire tai yai groups and 'sell' them to builders as subcontract labour. Managers usually charge ~300-400bt per day but only pass on ~200bt to the subbies. Managers have to front CNX I/O to gain the papers for all subbies and notify each new work address, and 90 day in person reporting is separate to that.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Thanks for the replies, far better than I had tonight at a BBQ with 3 Thai locals. I think that my Thai group just don't know how to explain to my satisfaction or just don't want me asking more questions.

One thing that I was trying to find out was will they ever get Thai rights. I pointed out that they speak Yong, as do many people in Lamphun, whose families many years ago were possibly in the same situation. Over time these local (Lamphun) folk have normal Thai ID, possibly through marriage, time , being born in Thailand ??? I understand that the Thai Yai or Shan have pink id cards. I suppose Nels is likely correct, so long as labour is cheap and they behave themselves, then they will still be able to have their lives here.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Gday Dave, hope you are not building under the new flight path...unless you are a plane spotter.

New International Airport to be Built in Lamphun

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    Thanks for the replies, far better than I had tonight at a BBQ with 3 Thai locals. I think that my Thai group just don't know how to explain to my satisfaction or just don't want me asking more questions.
    They probably think you think too mutt!

Thais aren't the best at solving farang curiositys....what is....is.......what to eat next and when seems to block their whole thought process 55
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Hi Brian,

No need to worry about that. we are near the flight path for CNX, not a problem this far out. I actually had a bigger problem in Tassie, sometimes the freighters would take a shortcut in the middle of the night. Sounded like they were in your living room. Only 5km. from the airport there, about 50km. here.

Just a thought, maybe the land barons for the proposed airport are Cat, J+J etc..

The pink ID cards are for farangs Dave. Tai yai's cannot gain Thai ID/Passport etc.
    Those who have in the past are most likely from Thai birth registration dating back a few generations. The majority from hill tribes never had any opportunity to register births.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!