Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix

Thread: Bangkok Airways battery policy

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Bangkok Airways battery policy

Or this might be a Thai aiports policy because I saw something on it at baggage carousel in BKK airport also.

I was going to put this in my TR because it was a funny/bizarre story but it is also a good head's up.

We were flying back to BKK from Samui on BKK Airways.

We checked out bags and waited at the gate. My name was called and the girl asked me about items I checked in my bag. I didn't really understand her and she told me to follow her. And she was not nice at all!
    They took me to a buggy cart and whisked me away to cargo and they were all very serious.
    It seriously felt like I was caught with drugs 555

We get to the cargo and it was actually my wife's bag they were concerned with. Not so concerned that they allowed me to open it and not my wife!
    Well this girl went through everything..... I mean looked through all my wife's makeup bags.

It was a portable battery charger my wife uses for her phone that was the concern.

But the weird thing is that they wanted us to carry it on instead of checking it in.
    Isn't it usual that if they have concerns about items....they'd rather you check it in than carry on??

Regardless, be aware of batteries in your luggage....they weren't fcuking around!!

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    It's international as I understand it

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Singapoire airlines
    Rechargeable battery packs, e.g. power banks, are treated as spare lithium batteries. The carriage of these items are subject to local regulations.
    Spare lithium batteries are not allowed in checked-in baggage. They must be carried as hand luggage only.

And

Batteries pose a unique hazard during air transport and are capable of causing a fire if not transported correctly. We want to assist you to avoid carrying any batteries that are prohibited at law.

If your flight is to or from the United States, penalties under US Federal law include fines of up to USD250,000 and even imprisonment. Please read the information on this page and also the Safe Pack website for more information about batteries and hazardous materials.

Whether a battery can be carried or not depends on its type, configuration, the quantity and certain conditions:

In equipment – Securely installed in the device and the device is protected against inadvertent activation – e.g. An On/Off switch that is suitably protected and cannot be accidentally turned on.

Spare or loose batteries - Are those batteries not installed in the device, carried separately or items such as power banks/packs designed to power or back-up another device. Spare batteries must be in carry-on baggage only and must be protected against short circuit by, placing in its original retail packaging, placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch or insulating terminals by taping over exposed terminals.
    Last edited by Hatari; 28th April 2016 at 15:52.

Paul, you and Ao should have known about this as it's been widely reported over many years. Remember the Ethiopian 787 fire at LHR and MH370 suspicions re lithium cargo?

It's worth noting that more pax will be caught out with DMK/BKK post check-in baggage screening systems.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Good job by the staff for flagging that I say! I've been stopped a few times when going through security there as I have quite a large capacity power bank. They usually ask to see it, look at the capacity and then say ok sir no problem on your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But the weird thing is that they wanted us to carry it on instead of checking it in.
    Isn't it usual that if they have concerns about items....they'd rather you check it in than carry on??
    better to have the fire in the cabin where it can be dealt with rather than locked away out of sight.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Good job by the staff for flagging that I say! I've been stopped a few times when going through security there as I have quite a large capacity power bank. They usually ask to see it, look at the capacity and then say ok sir no problem on your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn't saying they did anything wrong
    Just giving people a head's up
    My wife and I didn't have a clue about what we needed to do.

I still don't to be honest, but Moo's post makes sense.
    Better to have any sort of potential fire in the cabin than in the cargo area.
    My wife has flown all over the world with that battery charger.....1st time there was an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    It's international as I understand it

That's the sign and 1st time I ever noticed it in Thailand
    Although I wouldn't have a clue what power any battery charger would be
    I don't even know what mAh means, to be honest

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    If they have the "potential" to start a fire in either the Baggage area or cabin they should not be allowed onto the plane , full stop. Im sure people can live without their back up batteries for their Mobile phone untill they get to a power point on land...is face bloody book that important ?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    That's the sign and 1st time I ever noticed it in Thailand
    Although I wouldn't have a clue what power any battery charger would be
    I don't even know what mAh means, to be honest
    It means mAh like Meh , don"t know, don"t care
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    If they have the "potential" to start a fire in either the Baggage area or cabin they should not be allowed onto the plane , full stop. Im sure people can live without their back up batteries for their Mobile phone untill they get to a power point on land...is face bloody book that important ?

^ same as smartphones though...same type of battery.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    So what do you do.....send it by carrier pigeon? 555

It's a battery used all around the world and not something frivolous

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    I would have been ****ting it thinking if I had left a little spliff in some jean pockets or something.

Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    I would have been ****ting it thinking if I had left a little spliff in some jean pockets or something.
    Umm......every possibility raced through my mind!! 555
    I've watch too many Banged Up Abroad!

I actually did leave a half smoked joint in a book once from a flight from Phuket to BKK
    **** myself when I went to read my book at the pool at the hotel in BKK!
    Although that half a joint took away any stress I had about it 555
    Quarky likes this.