Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Is Thailand becoming a more violent place?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar

Is Thailand becoming a more violent place?

I wanted to ask this question in the Hua Hin thread but decided not to as things got a bit heated over the last few days. Then I notice someone asked that very question over on Thai Visa so thought why not.

Over the last year I've read countless number of stories of Thais involved in violence, mostly to other Thais, but sometimes to tourists. The most recent 3 obviously being a beat down of 3 tourists which seemed to start all over a spilt drink, a revenge group attack on a mia noi, and the most recent, 2 scrawny Issan kids beat and tied up a security guard. [1] There was also the Bangkok cabbie who hacked up a customer due to an argument over a fare and a thrown coffee. There are plenty of others if you trawl the News section on Thai visa.

Handicapped man beaten to death for daring to answer back. [3]

For those of you who live there or have been visiting there for a long time, is there an increase in violence or is it just becoming more visible due to social media and technology?

There are some common themes in these events:

1) Inability to settle a dispute verbally or in any way other than using violence

2) Lack of respect for elders

3) Bystanders who would rather watch than jump in

4) Resentment towards foreigners

5) Very short fuse if any face is lost

I also saw an article claiming the violent gun death rate in Thailand is twice as high as in the US although I'm unsure of the authenticity of its source. [2]

On the original thread some claimed it was a lot worse in the 80s and it just looks bad now due to it receiving more visibility on social media. No idea how true this is...

One thing I also noticed is the Thai officials seem more concerned with arresting the person who leaked the Hua Hin footage, rather than trying to set an example to deter future would be attackers. Similarly, during the Koh Tao murders, officials seemed more concerned with reassuring the public that tourist numbers would be fine and would comment on this in almost every article. Where is the underpinning concept of right and wrong and why do they not think through what the ramifications might be when making silly announcements like this?

I love spending my holidays there, as many of you know, as do many of you which is why we are on this forum, but the above observations concern me when thinking about what Thailand will be like in the next 10-20 years. I think all over the world violence is on the up, and in the UK I think there is a lack of respect from the younger generation but Thailand to me come across as several notches up from anywhere in the west.

Symptom of a developing nation trying to lead a western lifestyle?

[1] - http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2...ffing-beating/

[2] - http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/1...-twice-high-us

[3] - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/914306-handicapped-man-who-answered-back-beaten-to-death-by-knife-wielding-thai-mob/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by supersub; 2nd May 2016 at 17:27.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    probably less violent since the military took over.

the 2010 mini civil war in the heart of bangkok comes to mind. all the other stuff is and has been quite common in the thai community.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

I also saw an article claiming the violent gun death rate in Thailand is twice as high as in the US although I'm unsure of the authenticity of its source. [2]
    I don't know
    But if you read further than the first paragraph...

University of Sydney’s School of Public Health, estimates a smaller gun death rate for Thailand.
    It says there are around 3.48 deaths per 100,000 people, which is just under that of the States
    And the UN puts it at 4.8 for all homicides (including, but not just guns)

as with all stats... often produced/manipulated to prove/disprove a point

The article below suggests a decrease, do we believe that, or is the last line more relevant, TV (and social media) giving more public access to crime news?

October 2012 Bangkok Post summary of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime report
    Thailand has a high homicide rate compared to many other countries in Asia (although you will see only limited data for most countries is available), but the number of homicides and the rate have actually dropped since 2006.
    The 4.8 homicide rate per 100,000 matches the latest homicide rate in the US (from 2010) listed by the UNODC.
    Not seen any data that suggests that gun violence in Thailand is on the rise.
    If anything, it is becoming less of a problem despite more news on TV about it….
    In summary, I have no idea!

And I'd be reluctant to use Thai Visa as any form of reference point, for anything.
    Last edited by Hatari; 2nd May 2016 at 18:30.
    PeteGill likes this.

I assume that a large percentage of the near 7000 deaths/ murders in Narathiwat/Pattani/Yala/Songkla last ten years were by firearms, so therefore counted in national stats as firearm homicides.

[QUOTE=Hatari;284141]I don't know
    But if you read further than the first paragraph...
    /QUOTE]

Yes I read that which is why I had doubts over it. Either way it's not good. And yes the southern insurgency is probably mixed in there too.

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    probably less violent since the military took over.

the 2010 mini civil war in the heart of bangkok comes to mind. all the other stuff is and has been quite common in the thai community.
    I would agree with this,
    Last edited by Seven_; 14th August 2016 at 21:47.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I think it seems that way because Social media has much longer arms now. Plus we now have greater Internet coverage in all parts of Thailand so more news is coming in. I bet it used to be much worse during the GI days.

As for social changes in LoS, respect for elderly, etc, you're probably right. But that's the same everywhere.

The world is fucked, and I hope it gets worse. We have way too much law and order and control these days. About time everything started falling to bits. Bring it on!
    Last edited by Bacon; 2nd May 2016 at 20:06.
    kaptainrob likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    The phone cam videos from Brazil, Central America and Mexico... Now those are violent places!
    Quarky and supersub like this.

PGC
    I've seen Thailand become more violent over the 15 or so years I've been going, But the violence has been between drunk Farangs. Many more fights on Bangla Rd, but they all seemed to be between younger guys, and it has to be said that the majority of them were Australian.

The Demographic is changing in the Entertainment areas, especially in Patong, and one of these shifts has seen more young guys coming over, with a total lack of respect or understanding of Thai respectabilities. Getting drunk and having a traditional fight at closing time as they would back home.

People moan about Thai prices going up, but I'm all for it to keep these Plebs out.
    Last edited by PGC; 3rd May 2016 at 00:05.
    PeteGill and 1080 like this.

In my first trip in 2006 I stayed in patong for 2 months. This was before the younger crowd came in on mass. The bars were full of pretty undesirable looking people and of course lots of different nationalities but we never once saw a fight or even any particular trouble. I remember at the time thinking that was pretty amazing considering going out back home a fight at closing was the norm.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I don't think it is any more violent.
    Just more coverage and social media with phones and such.

Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    In my first trip in 2006 I stayed in patong for 2 months. This was before the younger crowd came in on mass. The bars were full of pretty undesirable looking people and of course lots of different nationalities but we never once saw a fight or even any particular trouble. I remember at the time thinking that was pretty amazing considering going out back home a fight at closing was the norm.
    2006 was my first year in Patong too... you must have been young then! It was a laid back place.... I thought the same back then... how well behaved everyone seemed.. even when drunk... but then I haven't been back there since 2009 and it was already a changing demographic then...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

^ was 18 on my gap yahhhh

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star TMTBOUND's Avatar
    I have to agree that with the elevated state of connectivity with all people, the appearance is more crimes. But I believe(crime all over) the crime is somewhat the same. I say this because what if this was 10 years ago when everyone did not have cell phones and that CCTV would not have been able to capture the event in Hua Hin with the clarity it did? Would we be talking about that event.... would the world be talking about that event? Probably not.... video brings additional emotion as we can all live the event.

I do not have any idea really....... But i tend to believe the sensationalism that is required to get us to notice something today is tenfold over the past. I remember when seeing a starving kid in Ethiopia was traumatic...... now we hardly blink.
    Quarky and kaptainrob like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I think it seems that way because Social media has much longer arms now. Plus we now have greater Internet coverage in all parts of Thailand so more news is coming in. I bet it used to be much worse during the GI days.

As for social changes in LoS, respect for elderly, etc, you're probably right. But that's the same everywhere.

The world is fucked, and I hope it gets worse. We have way too much law and order and control these days. About time everything started falling to bits. Bring it on!
    I love reading your morning affirmations over a nicely brewed coffee. Puts me in a lovely mood for Monday...
    Quarky likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

^ was 18 on my gap yahhhh
    Bloody hell.. still not 30... so you probably don't even remember what chasing women was like before Thailand... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    I've only seen a few bits of trouble during my visits to Thailand. Nearly all of them were the results of drinking too much, late at night. Thats not any different to the city I live in. I am not sure if there has been an increase in this violence but there has definitely been an increase in the reporting of any violence due to 24 hour news stations, the internet, YouTube etc.
    If you are constantly looking for these reports of violence, then you would convince yourself the world is indeed messed up. A little bit like watching BBC Crime Watch every day, then being afraid to open your front door.
    PeteGill and Hatari like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I just don't think Thailand is a very nice place at times.
    I think there is a lot of unfriendly people in Thailand..........I think that gets overshadowed because at it's best, the interactions with good Thai people are fantastic.
    I said it to Nels in a convo we had............There is so many highs, yet so many lows when interacting with Thai people........at least for me.

I have some of the best interactions with so many Thais...............some so enganging and playful
    But also have some of the worst interactions in Thailand

I also don't think Thais treat each other very well
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    This was before the younger crowd came in on mass.
    jetstar started moving young aussie yobo types,footy teams on big pi55 ups etc in 2007.

i saw 2 groups of young aussies in a big brawl in soi sea dragon that year or year after. bar stools flying and a bit of claret spilt.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

My take on this is that yes incidents get wider exposure due to social media, but attitudes are also a changing due to a number of reasons.

Although someone here will choose to just accept it as a one of the caveats of living here, Thais are xenophobic in nature and I don't see how the existing government has done anything to quell that. It's clear to see that from the way they talk and behave.

Secondly, a lot of people are in debt, the economy has been bad for a few years and for a lot of regular joes, expenses are outstripping incomes.

We also have the most anti foreigner government probably in the last 30 years. I think taking into account the above and coupled with how easily Thais can fly off the handle, how cheap life is over there, it all makes for a very volatile environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast