Thread: Kanchanaburi Tiger Temple

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Fkn disgrace.

Buddhists!!...my ar5e.
    Soupdragon and obes like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Saw this earlier on Khao sod. Disgusted would be an understatement. The number of cubs suggests there was there was a large scale breeding program going on.

In all honesty I'm not surprised given how they sometimes treat other human beings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    FINALLY they nailed those bastards!

I was just about to post this when I saw Rak had already started a thread on it.

from the news

BANGKOK — Wildlife authorities discovered 40 dead cubs in a freezer at Thailand's controversial Tiger Temple on Wednesday amid an operation to remove felines from the sanctuary due to abuse allegations.
    The Tiger Temple in Kachanburi province has been a favorite for tourists, who could pay to pat and take photographs with passive big cats.

However, the sanctuary has been dogged by allegations that the monks running the facility were breeding tigers for profit and selling animal parts. Monks and lay workers at the sanctuary have rejected the accusations.
    Thai officials on Monday descended on the Tiger Temple, sedating the striped cats and caging them up for removal to wildlife refuges.
    On Wednesday, they made a grisly discovery as they continued the operation to remove nearly 140 tigers.
    Adisorn Noochdumrong, deputy director-general of the Department of National Parks, told NBC News that rangers found 40 cub carcasses in a freezer in the basement of the enclosure compound.
    Wildlife Officials Raid Controversial Tiger Temple In Thailand" title="Image: Wildlife Officials Raid Controversial Tiger Temple In Thailand" itemprop="image"/>
    Officials inspect the carcasses at the Tiger Temple on Wednesday. Dario Pignatelli / Getty Images
    He said it was not immediately clear why the carcasses were there, stressing that it was not necessarily evidence of illegal trading or smuggling.
    The Tiger Temple posted a statement on Facebook denying allegations of participating in a "black market" for cubs, saying "this is not true."
    It said that "cubs do occasionally die for various reasons" and that in most cases those cubs were cremated but that a former vet changed the policy and instead kept deceased cubs "preserved" or "frozen."
    A former vet is among those alleging abuse at the sanctuary.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................

I visited that place about 15 years ago on my first trip to Kanchanaburi and even then I was disgusted. It was far, far different than the tiger zoo I saw between Bangkok and Pattaya. The one in Kanchanaburi had a bunch of fake monks and the tigers were kept in dirty, tiny cages. The cages were so small and dark I couldn't even get a picture. The tigers for display were kept 100 meters away and people had to pay to get their pictures with them. It was a total scam then and never changed. I'm sure that palms were being greased and pockets lined to allow them to stay in business.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    I wonder if the Tigers will actually go to a better place. This being Thailand, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The wife wanted to go the the Chiang Mai zoo, but after I read about it, we decided not to go get depressed.

We have a rescue center a few miles from my mother's place with about 5 tigers and a lot of other big cats. It was a dump. Util the reality show "home makeover" I think its called fixed it up for them and made a little visitors center.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Sadly nothing new here. The same sort of thing takes place here in South Africa. The dead cubs are no doubt destined to be used in Traditional Chinese Medicine. See the article below and the link... And a little googling will show you loads more links.

Q: What is the lion bone trade about?

A: The lion bone trade is a relatively new revenue stream for the breeders and farmers and has come about as lion bones are now being used as an alternative to tiger bones in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). TCM used tiger bones immersed in vats of liquid, often rice wine to produce a tonic called ‘tiger bone wine’ that was prescribed for rheumatism, arthritis and other joint and bone ailments. Because trade was impacting on wild tiger populations, the Chinese government banned the trade in tiger parts back in 1993.

Frequently Asked Questions - Blood Lions™

^^I just saw a story that the bans don't really do much good, especially away from big cities. The tiger bones are just getting harder to come by I bet.

My favorite county China.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    ^^I just saw a story that the bans don't really do much good, especially away from big cities. The tiger bones are just getting harder to come by I bet.

My favorite county China.
    Sadly there is huge money to be made. Thailand, South Africa. The only thing that makes them different from anywhere else is that the original breeding stock is there... Plus lots of space to build these so called farms.

The other sad fact is the petting industry where young lion cubs are removed from their mothers (Same as the tigers) and then are so called hand reared by eager volunteers who mistakenly think that they are involved in conservation. These folk pay for the privilege of looking after 'their' cubs... Once the cubs are to big to be hand reared they are put in pens until they are old enough and big enough to become trophy's.. Hunted in confined area's or lured out in to the bush with fresh meat (They have little idea on how to hunt) and then shot....

5 lies you need to stop believing about the lion cub petting industry - Africa Geographic

All of this turns my stomach, but it is easy money for some.

What amazes or disgusts me most, is that this is not poor people fighting for their survival or bleeding to feed their children...
    It is Buddhist Monks, who supposedly abstain from any worldly possessions to dedicate their life to the practicing of Buddhism..

And it is not like Temples are above the law, from what I understand (correct me when I am wrong) they are under both civil (government / police) oversight, as well as under rule and regulation of the temple hierarchy itself, which is ultimately controlled by the Sanga Supreme Council.

Rumors of animal abuse and drugging of the tigers go back to before I first set foot in Thailand, that's why I have never been there.
    So nothing has been done over the years, not by any government, nor by the monks themselves or the temple hierarchy..?

I understand that money always roles upward in Thailand, even in temples...
    But it will be hard for me to make any "offerings" in any Temple in Thailand knowing that I contribute to money making schemes that use animal abuse, killing of the most majestic animal on the planet, smuggling operations, etc., under the pretense of the most kind, friendly and selfless religion / philosophy..

But maybe you need to buy some luck Erik.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

But maybe you need to buy some luck Erik.
    Last time I did that (December 31st), it read (and I quote):

"What this number forecasts is great, you will always be powerful, lucky, happy and healthy.
    The fortune you wish is likely to come true.
    The spouse you're expecting will add to your prosperity.
    If you're ill, you'll completely get well.
    Nothing is bad, all is fine like a bright shining moon."

Still waiting... 555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post

"What this number forecasts is great, you will always be powerful, lucky, happy and healthy.

Still waiting... 555
    You must not have paid enough. 555

Still waiting... 555
    And how much did you put in his copper pot. 5555

As you well know, I think all this temple stuff is just money grubbing evil crap foisted on the uneducated who hope for better things in their bare existence life style. But, if it makes them momentarily happy then so be it... even though it's not going to change their life a tinker's damn.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    What amazes or disgusts me most, is that this is not poor people fighting for their survival or bleeding to feed their children...
    It is Buddhist Monks, who supposedly abstain from any worldly possessions to dedicate their life to the practicing of Buddhism..

And it is not like Temples are above the law, from what I understand (correct me when I am wrong) they are under both civil (government / police) oversight, as well as under rule and regulation of the temple hierarchy itself, which is ultimately controlled by the Sanga Supreme Council.

Rumors of animal abuse and drugging of the tigers go back to before I first set foot in Thailand, that's why I have never been there.
    So nothing has been done over the years, not by any government, nor by the monks themselves or the temple hierarchy..?

But it will be hard for me to make any "offerings" in any Temple in Thailand knowing that I contribute to money making schemes that use animal abuse, killing of the most majestic animal on the planet, smuggling operations, etc., under the pretense of the most kind, friendly and selfless religion / philosophy..
    Thai Monks and Catholic priests.........most in if for the comforts and money
    I don't give to either

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

Religion or way of life???? If I ask my wife it is a fabricated story. Hence I start threads like blind faith and cut down as not respectful and not understanding her beliefs.

Minder says LOS is just a few decades behind. Like the church and cover ups. The priest must be respected and would never interfere with children.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Religion or way of life???? If I ask my wife it is a fabricated story. Hence I start threads like blind faith and cut down as not respectful and not understanding her beliefs.

Minder says LOS is just a few decades behind. Like the church and cover ups. The priest must be respected and would never interfere with children.
    I don't understand how questioning things or even shaking your head at some things is disrespectful.

I think I will always be in cross-cultural relationships....either with wife or someone else if something happened.
    I just prefer them

It doesn't mean I can't question parts of it.
    And actually I think you are showing interest and care if you do question some of their beliefs......it shows you actually are invested.
    So many cross cultural relationships seem to be so disconnected
    Quarky and jontymate like this.

China's Dog Meat Festival Will Go On Despite Growing Protests

Held every year, the Yulin Dog Meat Festival results in the slaughter of thousands of dogs, which are then served in some of the restaurants in this city in south China.

An international campaign to halt the killing keeps growing each year. Millions in Canada, the U.K. and the United States have signed petitions calling for China to end the festival, which is scheduled to start this year on June 21.

Yet it not just foreign activists who are working to stop China's dog meat trade. There are now millions of pet owners in the world's most populous country. Many are appalled by Yulin's continuing celebration of the eating of dog meat and by the uncertain manner in which the meat is obtained.

Unlike South Korea, another Asian country where dogs are consumed, China does not have any large-scale dog-breeding farms. A four-year investigation by Animals Asia, an advocacy group, found no evidence of such breeding facilities. "The vast majority of so-called "meat dogs" are in fact stolen companion animals and strays," says the group's 2015 report.

Theft of dogs is rife in Beijing and other cities as well as in the countryside. According to news reports, organized gangs often use poison darts to sedate and then steal pets and stray dogs.

In February, China was riveted by the story of a blind man whose Labrador guide dog stolen. After saturation coverage of the theft, the dog was mysteriously returned after 2 days.

Violet, a resident of Beijing, is one of many in China who have became active in animal rights partly because of the allegations of dog snatching. She asked that her full name not be used since the Chinese government frowns upon nearly all forms of organized activism.
    Link

Evil bastards everywhere if there is money to be made. China doesn't have a monopoly on this, but they certainly don't do anything to stop it.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    China's Dog Meat Festival Will Go On Despite Growling Protests

Link
    "When you visit the festival, you can see thousands of dogs that are shipped there," said Violet. In her opinion, many of the dogs appeared to be stolen, since they appeared to be purebred, not the kind that would be strays.

Several governments in Asia — including the Philippines, Taiwan and Thailand — have banned the butchering of dogs for meat. In China, there are no laws against the slaughter.

Stories like this remind me that a dozen or so years ago on a plane trip between BKK and Singapore I sat next to a Chinese businesswoman returning home to Mauritius from visiting relatives in China - I remember her saying that people in the West had no idea how primitive China was once you got outside the main cities ....

To illustrate her point she mentioned a then current news story from her old home town where a mother had broken a local gang of organised Begging after she found her own young child 6 months after he had been kidnapped - he had been blinded and mutilated was being placed on a street corner daily ...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post

To illustrate her point she mentioned a then current news story from her old home town where a mother had broken a local gang of organised Begging after she found her own young child 6 months after he had been kidnapped - he had been blinded and mutilated was being placed on a street corner daily ...
    How sick do you have to be to do something like that... it's a wonder the world functions sometimes...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast