The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Dual Pricing in Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Never been to a temple where you get charged.
    Doi Sutep, Wat Po, Wat Arun, Wat phra keauw all charge foreigners nowadays..
    Chob and Cuzzy like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    if you have a thai driving license don't you get local pricing , I know a friend was when we were using the railways ?
    Used to, but not anymore. Like I've said many times, I don't mind paying a fee for anything that needs to be maintained. If I'm a tourist I don't mind paying more. I just don't like gouging which the present group are doing. It is similar to the police road blocks that are there only for the purpose of collecting revenue. At other times the police couldn't care less about enforcement, and preventing anything dangerous.

In British Columbia I hate our provincial park system. The present government changed it into a money making scheme. Most of the old campsites were built by the former "Forest Service" for the public to use, and so people wouldn't make new ones on their own. It was a great plan and it was very popular. But, when the present government took over 16 years ago they "downsized" the former "Forest Service" and turned it into the "Ministry of Forests", where they then eliminated the "service" part. Hundreds of former campsites were gated off and everyone was pushed into a few that the government could now charge for. Unfortunately, during the busy summer season there are now not enough campsites to go around. Private companies dealing with foreign visitors have some popular campsites booked up a year in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    They have for quite a while, so I don't mind paying the small fee if I have a friend who hasn't been there before.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    The irony is , well at least down South , that the Military "read" that their raised entry fees have had no detriment on "visitation"

While all the while implying that since they've been around the pilferring rate on the visitor fees has dropped by 66% or so ...

How can any entity tasked with reforming these assets ever know what is the baseline ?
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    The irony is , well at least down South , that the Military "read" that their raised entry fees have had no detriment on "visitation"

While all the while implying that since they've been around the pilferring rate on the visitor fees has dropped by 66% or so ...

How can any entity tasked with reforming these assets ever know what is the baseline ?
    That is understandable, Dean, when you don't know the standard price for things. I remember years ago coming to the newly built airport at "Swampy" and some taxi driver quoted a price of 600 baht for a ride into the city. I remember thinking... "That's not a bad price." A week before I had paid about $100 (about 3400 baht) to go from London to the Gatwick airport. It was about 34 baht to the dollar then. I didn't realize at the time that there was an "official" taxi stand just outside where you lined up for the next taxi and paid about 250 baht for the same trip.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Forked out money inside wats but only ever paid to get into the one that I remember....the white temple. Not much of a temple goer.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Forked out money inside wats but only ever paid to get into the one that I remember....the white temple. Not much of a temple goer.
    Temples charging an entrance fee, same as some churches charging.. It contradicts everything the building stands for!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Temples charging an entrance fee, same as some churches charging.. It contradicts everything the building stands for!

But it same as with the churches most tourists are not going to worship / pay respect - they are going to sightsee and take pics

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I've never been charged to enter a church in my life and I have been to churches in well over 15 countries

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I've never been charged to enter a church in my life and I have been to churches in well over 15 countries
    Cheap Charlie. What do you think that donation plate is for that they hand around. 55555

Sistine Chapel , St Pauls Cathedral , Notre Dame , Sagrada Famila , St Basil's ?
    Last edited by Stillearly; 18th May 2017 at 07:36.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    One temple visit per trip max 😃

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    One temple visit per trip max ��
    Yeah, that's enough. One near our house I don't mind. Its near a man made lake and has all these huge old trees around it. I hang out around them and the kids playground with the little bloke while the rest please themselves elsewhere.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I thing we payed to get into the Big Budda in Phuket. Im not sure if it was a entrance fee as such or a "suggested Donation" . It was a few years back.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Sistine Chapel , St Pauls Cathedral , Notre Dame , Sagrada Famila , St Basil's ?
    Sistine Chapel I don't recall if I was but was in a long as line so maybe?
    St Paul's, which I loved by the way, I think I walked right in.

Although I was more thinking of "regular churches"
    I go to many in Latin America when I travel there

Although St Patrick's Cathedral in NYC they don't charge....I was just there 2 months ago

Yeah, that's enough. One near our house I don't mind. Its near a man made lake and has all these huge old trees around it. I hang out around them and the kids playground with the little bloke while the rest please themselves elsewhere.
    Yup, that is an added bonus if your kid likes it.

Last sort of "temple" I visited was with Pui somewhere in the farm area outside of Phan. Nothing to see other than a big painted gold Buddha and a tiny museum with some giant wasp or bee nests on display. Didn't have to pay, but Pui wanted to put money in the copper bowl for some good luck. She needs it. They had a big pond and I sat on a bench under a tree and fed the fish. They also had some models of dinosaurs, and life size models of some dictator abusing people. Pui could not explain that to me and I'm not sure she even knows. Probably some history of ancient Thailand.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    They were doing it in 2007. The last time we were at Doi Suthep.

The BIL is a ranger or warden at Sai Thong National Park... not that theres anything to see 555. No charge for anyone there
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

The pricing gets better once you establish some repore with a location, don't be in a hurry to buy up at the first week- 7/11 has done a lot to stamp out hi/lo pricing, I find I get shit cheaper at a small family place anyway.
    it how say sawadee kap, the tonality which makes it thai, send it thru the nose a bit.

Sistine Chapel I don't recall if I was but was in a long as line so maybe?
    St Paul's, which I loved by the way, I think I walked right in.

Although I was more thinking of "regular churches"
    I go to many in Latin America when I travel there

Although St Patrick's Cathedral in NYC they don't charge....I was just there 2 months ago
    Ok , but I don't think Wat Arun and Doi Suthep are "regular Wats" , so the same thinking seems to apply

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    The last time I went to the Sistine Chapel I paid about 50 euros iirc...it was with a small group and we got a slight headstart on the masses who were lined up behind the ropes...they were paying too but about half thet price iirc...we got a few cat calls and whistles as we came out of a side door about 20m ahead of them 555

iirc I paid about 15 euros for admission to the Sagradia familia about 10 years back

St Pauls is free for worship but there is a fee for tourists/sightseers which I think is fair...despite the Catholic Church being wealthier than a lot of sovereign nations

I have no problem paying a fee if the chuch/temple/wat is a museum styled tourist attraction...but like St Paul's if it is a place of worship and you are there for that purpose it should be free entry
    Stillearly likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast