The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Dual Pricing in Thailand

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar

Dual Pricing in Thailand

I read this artical and was wondering of any experiences many may have had be it Expat or Tourist !
    The Argument Against Dual Pricing In Thailand
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    !qq!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    My wife got away with the Thai prices a few times 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I've never gotten worked up over it.

And actually we have a lot of dual pricing in North America for residents
    So I look at it as being the same thing

The big one is National Parks, people get very riled up over the dual pricing at NP
    I think NP should be heavily discounted for the country's residents
    Chob and GGrass like this.

Whenever we are in Patong , and i want to buy some clothing etc , my wife always says no no no wait till we go home to Phetchabun ! Too expensive here !
    !qq!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Meanwhile after the long tiring climb up Doi Suthep......555

OZZYGUY likes this.

^^^^^ 555 been there done that ! Wife free ! Me : 30Baht !
    !qq!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    There are small town here where locals present their ID at the shops for discounts.

Locals' discounts are neither rare, nor unique to Thailand in any shape or form.
    Bless me father for I have sinned.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Do Thai Men get Thai price for Short/long time? 55 .

Actually random thought, I'm glad the TG's don't charge by the inch or id be bankrupt 55555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Do Thai Men get Thai price for Short/long time? 55 .
    Actually random thought, I'm glad the TG's don't charge by the inch or id be bankrupt 55555
    yep.
    some years ago at a local karaoke bar down south 300 baht was being quoted for ST. absolutely no farangs in there and a no go zone IMO. stay well away from those places. much safer yet more costly at farang bars as well as having girls that want to go with farangs.
    plenty of these type of places out in isaan too.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I never minded paying extra and I was always in arguments with the skinflints on thaivisa. The extra 5 baht I always gave as a tip for a 35 baht meal and those twits would get all bent out of shape saying I was going to put the price up for them.

Once you've been around Thailand a while you get to know the average price for just about everything. I know when someone is trying to scam me by double what a Thai would pay and I just don't return. Classic example is the 3 wheel bicycle rik-shaw guys in Kanchanaburi. It used to be 30 baht from the bus station to my hotel about one km away. Then, one time I asked the price as I was getting on board and the guy said 600 baht! I said WHAT? with a shocked look on my face, and I got off and walked. I've never used them since. A motorbike guy charges 40 baht for the same trip and I don't mind paying despite the short ride. It is like the crooked tuk-tuk drivers in Phuket. I'll walk 10 km before I ever use one of those assholes.
    Gazmac, 1080, Chob and 5 others like this.

DSCF1684.jpg

Officially sanctioned in Thailand, and that's that. However, at some places producing a Work Permit, or local Driving Licence will get local rates; Phuket Aquarium is an example of this.

Standard pricing everywhere in my home country, though often concessions available in one form or another if you are known or ask. One free with a group of four or similar does encourage locals to accompany guests to local attractions, for instance.
    Last edited by Mick; 28th June 2016 at 20:10.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar
    Seems to vary, in my own experience, with two national parks within 30km of Chanthaburi city, Khao Kitchakut and Namtok Phliu. Both fantastic value for money, at any price. About 2012 signs went up at both, "Thai ID Only" ruling out any negotiations on Thai drivers license or current work permit. That's fine, no point arguing with the person in the ticket booth, not their decision.

Otherwise, locally, Chanthaburi, can't think of any other example. Not enough foreigners to warrant making up new signs...

Mention below of Phuket Aquarium. We were triple-charged ... our last weekend living in Phuket 2010, took a visiting friend to the aquarium, think it was 100b for us, 40 for MsH, that's OK, got home to find we'd been burgled. It's a conspiracy!

August we have a family holiday in Malaysia. Looking at major tourist attractions they all have two prices, Malaysians presenting their MyKad Card get between 33% and 50% discount. I can live with that, and certainly won't not go to any of them because of the pricing, or get into any 'ripping off the foreigner discussions'
    Chob and Moo Uaon like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I get a 30% discount from BKK Airways as a Samui Resident...same same anyone who has lived on Samui for 2 years or more...and I have been given quite a few restaurant and bar discount cards issued to locals...so it's not just for the Thais all the time
    jontymate likes this.

I still look for reasonable prices for everything, everywhere. If it is a "one-off" then I don't care. If it is worth it then I will pay the going rate. But, if it is something I need to do on a regular basis... like eat, then I'll find the less expensive places. I understand that rent is higher in big cities and things cost more. When I visit Vancouver to see a friend then I expect to pay more if I take them to lunch or dinner. I can "cheap charley" it all I want when I'm alone. I like to pay my own way and not be a burden on anyone.

Just this last season I see that the government has stopped allowing local expats a Thai pricing, but it's understandable. The good general doesn't really like us punters and farang expats who marry Thai women. He has made that quite obvious. But, in the great scheme of things it really isn't a big financial hardship on us. However, it might make a few former foreign visitors choose to go elsewhere. I know at least 5 Swedes who won't come back to Thailand. I also have 3 Canadian friends who are going to spend less time in Thailand and more time in nearby Asian countries that are far more friendly.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 29th June 2016 at 05:43.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    At markets the GF use to tell me to go away while she bought something as she would get a better price. Then i taught her about haggling. ....oh boy. Didn't that open up a whole new world 55
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    I had read about dual pricing on Stickman and other internet sites prior to ever going to Thailand .... the half-price fare for locals on the baht-bus or songtaews of Pattaya being a prime example at that time ....

Then whilst learning to scuba dive in Pattaya on that very first trip -being picked up each day and transported to class - I got the chance to ask a genuine songtaew driver (who spoke decent English) if it was true that he charged farangs double?

He replied "Yes" he did.

As I recall, the conversation then went something like this:

Me: Well, how do you justify that... I mean, why do you charge farangs twice as much?
    Him: Because I can only carry half as many ...

Me: What?
    Him: Look at the farangs, they are twice as big and they don't move over. One or two will take up a whole bench and not move when others want to get on. The Thais will shift around and make space, the farangs don't. I can carry two or three Thais for every one farang..

Next time you are in a songtaew, take a look and it won't take you long to see he was right - to this day I think of him when I see some huge European sprawled over the bench and only moving up if you actually sit on a part of him (Done that deliberately more than once ).

Dual pricing? In those cases, it is fine by me.
    40 is the old age of youth;
    50 is the youth of old age.
    ~Victor Hugo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2xJAsr2vO8&NR=1

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    ^^^ It is amazing how, in some cases. the answer is sitting right in front of you 555
    Distantpeak and Minder like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I had read about dual pricing on Stickman and other internet sites prior to ever going to Thailand .... the half-price fare for locals on the baht-bus or songtaews of Pattaya being a prime example at that time ....

Then whilst learning to scuba dive in Pattaya on that very first trip -being picked up each day and transported to class - I got the chance to ask a genuine songtaew driver (who spoke decent English) if it was true that he charged farangs double?

He replied "Yes" he did.

As I recall, the conversation then went something like this:

Me: Well, how do you justify that... I mean, why do you charge farangs twice as much?
    Him: Because I can only carry half as many ...

Me: What?
    Him: Look at the farangs, they are twice as big and they don't move over. One or two will take up a whole bench and not move when others want to get on. The Thais will shift around and make space, the farangs don't. I can carry two or three Thais for every one farang..

Next time you are in a songtaew, take a look and it won't take you long to see he was right - to this day I think of him when I see some huge European sprawled over the bench and only moving up if you actually sit on a part of him (Done that deliberately more than once ).

Dual pricing? In those cases, it is fine by me.
    I remember exactly that more than a few times. One time I was taking two pretty Thai sisters up to Doi Sutthep, so instead of my motorbike we were going to take a songtaew. There were 3 attractive French c**ts who were also waiting for a ride, but they only wanted to play the low fee (30 baht) instead of the 50 baht the driver was asking. He tried to explain that the 30 baht charge was for a full bus, and there was only 6 of us. They were getting bitchy about it... and hence the vile term I used... appropriately for them. Finally I told the driver I would pay the full amount for all of us ... including the c**ts, but made it quite clear what I thought of them. It was worth the 150 baht just to see the look on their faces. None of them would look me in the eye on the ride up. I gave the driver a wink and a nod and he reciprocated. He had to deal with bitches like that all the time.
    Minder and GGrass like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    ^^^ It is amazing how, in some cases. the answer is sitting right in front of you 555
    That reminds me of a trip in the Philippines coming back from the Palawan Islands. The busses were bigger there, but they filled them with more people. I was trying to catch one of the two ferry sailings a week, so I really needed to get on the bus for the 2 hour ride to the terminal. There were a bunch of BIG American boys, both black and white, waiting for the same bus. I think a few might have been in the military and had big packs. The driver threw the packs up on top and the Americans all jumped in first. They filled up the whole back of the bus... and then some. I had just barely room enough to squeeze on. We were just about set to leave when a women carrying a crate of chickens and leading two little girls with her wanted on the bus. The driver got out, told the Yanks to squeeze closer together and the lady climbed aboard. The two little girls sat on my knees and the woman held the crate of chickens on her lap. The next two hours was hell and I could barely stand up when we finally got to the ferry terminal. There is no way I could do it today. My knees wouldn't stand it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    A few times around Krabi we have paid less than the Thai price...
    The tg speaks the south dialect and commented on how expensive it was for entry to The Saphire Pools ( I think it was ) to the ticket lady ... IIRC it was 300 baht each farang and 100 for her. She didnt say we werent going in , just that we'd be up for near $60 and that was a lot even for farang.
    The Thai lady said that if we didnt need tickets we could all do it for 100 baht.
    We took that option.
    But quite a few parks are near each other there , and ONE ticket covers all.

BTW , the pool was nice but I didnt think it was worth $12.
    Most waterfalls here barely run , and they want 200 to see them.
    Not worth it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast