Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thai related business

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Thai related business

As most know my wife has moved back to Thailand....our relationship is up in the air but we will see what happens.

She has started a small contracting business and she basically does all kinds of labor jobs.

She has gotten in with a pretty decent size graphics design firm and they like her work so give her a lot of jobs and recommend her to other firms.

But what is crazy to me is how much work was available in the Thai market and how big of jobs there have been. She has been offered a lot of projects that she just isn't big enough to do yet.

I know EvilBaz's gf has a curtain(?) business in Kamala.
    Baz, is that mostly Thai business, farang business or both?

Wondering if anyone else is involved in Thai related business and how they see it go?

I've been pretty damn shocked at how much business tyere has been.
    Also her mom started a laundry business and her rates are not cheap at all and she is pretty damn busy too!

Some pics of her projects
    The awning was her actual 1st job.
    She just finished up the job with applying the design work on the trucks. She bid for that on 40 trucks and won the bid.

I think a lot of couples with a farang husband try and do farang related busineses but maybe it's better to go after Thai business?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

I think a lot of couples with a farang husband try and do farang related busineses but maybe it's better to go after Thai business?
    definitely more of it but at thai rates/profit margins. then there's the whole concept of getting the money out of the customers. a lot of western people are good at not paying and thais are no different.

but good luck to her i hope she does well.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    definitely more of it but at thai rates/profit margins. then there's the whole concept of getting the money out of the customers. a lot of western people are good at not paying and thais are no different.

but good luck to her i hope she does well.
    Well you bring up a good point.....the trucks job was done on credit so we will see.
    Because it is the graphics design shop that hired her and they pay her when they get paid.
    And she had paid her workers already so she is in the hole expense wise.

As for Thai rates.....I'd say they been getting paid pretty decent for the jobs she is doing.
    I want to say she made 4k per truck on 40 trucks.(but maybe 3k)

But honestly even getting stiffed on a job, although sucks.....is a learning experience when starting a new business.
    And I am sure she will get stiffed from time to time.

She did 3-4 per day and had 3 workers she paying 350baht(but wants to give them a small bonus too) and her expenses like gas and such.
    So a decent profit on her end

I mentioned her mom doing laundry....she gets 20baht a shirt cleaned and ironed.....that seemed expensive to me?
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 30th July 2016 at 16:59.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    as most of us that have been in business know..its easy to get the order not always that easy to get paid....perhaps she should consider cash up front or at least in her case a deposit to cover materials..
    and if they want to open an account do a credit check....

wow 350 baht a day paulie..looks like she could afford more than that...
    Last edited by meese; 30th July 2016 at 17:50.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    With the curtains we wont place the order until we get 50% cash deposit (the margin is more than that.)
    The business is about 50/50 Thai/Farang.
    We also have a Tour desk on Soi Sansabai which is 100% cash and 100% tourists.
    I'm surprised how busy it has been in the (very) Wet Season.
    This is easier for her with her operations and dialysis - a sister and a niece cover her.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    With the curtains we wont place the order until we get 50% cash deposit (the margin is more than that.)
    The business is about 50/50 Thai/Farang.
    We also have a Tour desk on Soi Sansabai which is 100% cash and 100% tourists.
    I'm surprised how busy it has been in the (very) Wet Season.
    This is easier for her with her operations and dialysis - a sister and a niece cover her.
    Well that makes sense because you have the costs of materials
    I wouldn't suggest she do jobs on credit either......just that this design company has been so good to her, I think she wanted to show good faith and also that she is confident of her(and her brother's) work
    So beyond her gas expense to get to the job and paying the workers.....she has no material expense.
    It is pure labor

As I said.....it's all a learning curve, I am sure she will get screwed over at some point.

Oh and I am way off .....she only making 2200 per truck not 4k

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Dao has built student accommodation housing. In KK next to the university. So a not traditional business. She rents them and her brother is employed to take care of the property. He does the handyman work and takes care of the garden etc. The return on the investment with family employment is very low. It is about 3-4 %(if the money was borrowed it would be negative ) That said her elevation, standing and family in society is hard to put a value on.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Interested to hear that Ao is doing graphic design.
    My SIL is a Uni graduate in GD, she worked for a few firms in BKK, but the money wasn't that good at that time.
    She now runs a food stall in one of the BKK markets and is doing ok, but not great.
    If there was a real opportunity to get back into GD I would def support her to get back in.
    Look forward to seeing how your mrs goes and if there is a future in GD in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Interested to hear that Ao is doing graphic design.
    My SIL is a Uni graduate in GD, she worked for a few firms in BKK, but the money wasn't that good at that time.
    She now runs a food stall in one of the BKK markets and is doing ok, but not great.
    If there was a real opportunity to get back into GD I would def support her to get back in.
    Look forward to seeing how your mrs goes and if there is a future in GD in Thailand.
    She doesn't do GD.....the GD firm hires her to do the labor part.
    So in pictures above the GD made the sign for the awning and the graphics for the stickers on the truck and Ao gets hired to install the awning and put the stickers on the truck.

Although the GD is having a hard time hiring people to do the GD......they said they wish Ao knew how to do that 555
    Changone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Dao has built student accommodation housing. In KK next to the university. So a not traditional business. She rents them and her brother is employed to take care of the property. He does the handyman work and takes care of the garden etc. The return on the investment with family employment is very low. It is about 3-4 %(if the money was borrowed it would be negative ) That said her elevation, standing and family in society is hard to put a value on.
    It is funny you mention that.....
    Ao's Aunt is a wretched human being. Unfortunately she has come back in Ao's life and driving them crazy but in Thai fashion.... They won't tell her to fcuk off.
    She is a former BG and actually goes off to Amsterdam and still works the trade.
    She has been commenting to Ao that she shouldn't be working this hard and just live off me.....even if we are together or not.
    Ao just politely told her this her choice and she is building a business.
    Some people are just ignorant and wouldn't recognize progress
    And similar to Dao and EB's missus.....she is employing her brothers and their friends.....so the family is earning money from it

Seven_
    Wondering if anyone else is involved in Thai related business and how they see it go?
    Last edited by Seven_; 24th October 2016 at 02:42.
    kaptainrob and YankeeDK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    All of our contracting work is Thai customers, well except for one Farang, but its his wife's land, he just pays the money.

We are flat out with the work, mainly due to bringing western business standards to the Thai market.

ie, everything is done in writing, the quote, the payment times etc. so everything is transparent. Don't know how enforceable it is, but is done so to be transparent.

We turn up when we say we will and will complete the job when we say.

We are more interested in doing a good job, then just doing a quick job to get the money. This is very important and has bought us a lot of business because of it.

We offer flexible payment terms, ie they can pay us in cash or crop and generally we don't require payment until after harvest (whats agree to in writing and we stick to this)

We give discounts for payments up front or part payments.

New customers are required to pay a deposit upfront to cover our operational cost.

If people don't pay, they are blacklisted from everything.
    And all that is exactly why Ao's business is doing well.
    The GD firm that hired her for the initial job did so because her brother's did an odd job in the neighborhood and were recommended to the GD firm
    They came to Ao because so many before her just never did the job right.
    She has gotten so many referrals from the GD shop and now other places she has done work for.

She has even turned down others jobs they have offered her because the jobs are too big and she doesn't want to promise something she can't deliver on....but let's them know she will be prepared to do those type of jobs in the near future.

I think a lot of it does come to her having worked in the West but honestly.....she is just a very detailed oriented person, so even though she has her Western experience.....she would always do the job properly regardless of that.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Other than getting paid, it doesn't sound to hard to succeed in business in Thailand ..555
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Seven_
    ^^^^I would say its easier then Australia for sure, much less red tape and government crap to deal with. Getting paid is no different to the west really.

The hardest thing to get my Thai families head around is not all work is worth doing, ie we don't rotary till for many people as there isn't enough money in it to cover cost, as its hard on machinery and when things break expensive to fix.

Charging the correct amount, people don't want to pay that much even though they want the results.
    Last edited by Seven_; 1st August 2016 at 20:42.
    retdent likes this.

The only negative in all this....and it's been there since I met my wife and I see many other Thais so the same......is she acts like she is dying after a decent days works
    She is an incredibly hard working and always does the job right, regardless if it was a cashier in Soi Eric, waitress or her own business.
    But, by God......she works an 8 hour day and it is like she ran 3 marathons!!
    I thought it might change with it being her own business, but it hasn't.
    The owners of the 2 restaurants she worked at were the same way.....always complaining how tired they were because the restaurant was too busy

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Tired...Hot....Hungry.....the three stock answers to how are you in Thai...after the obligatory sabai dee khap or mai sabai khap...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    If you own the till you shouldn't feel tired after a busy day ...

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Tired...Hot....Hungry.....the three stock answers to how are you in Thai...after the obligatory sabai dee khap or mai sabai khap...555
    It really is that tropical mindset that Lil often speaks about
    Although there ain't nothing tropical about BKK anymore 555

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    If you own the till you shouldn't feel tired after a busy day ...
    And let me add..........although the business is doing decent for just starting out, she has plenty of days where she doesn't have a job still
    So she is only working 3-4 days a week, at most at the moment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast