Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 2 Post By Bacon

Thread: Any islands similar to Samui?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Any islands similar to Samui?

I love Samui, to me it has enough entertainment but still maintains a great island feel

Is there any other islands in Thailand that have decent nightlife, can ride around on a scooter and really nice beaches?

thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Not that I can think of. There are lots of nice islands worth a visit, but none that have the light nightlife that Samui offers. I always enjoy Koh Larn when I'm in Pattaya and there are now several resorts offering accommodation on the beach.

Koh Larn

Koh Samet is similar to Koh Larn, but it's a national park and you need to pay extra.

Koh Chang is a lovely big island and really worth a visit, but again, I'm not sure about entertainment other than what you provide yourself. Lots of lovely resorts and a nice island to explore by scooter or motorbike.

I've heard that Koh Chang has grown a lot since I was there last, 7 or 8 years ago, and maybe some nightlife has been added. I just enjoyed exploring it by motorbike and wasn't looking for nightlife as I had a partner with me.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Come to Bali in December with us.

Plenty of fat tattooed loud mouth drunked aussies girls around if your wife hunting 555

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post

Plenty of fat tattooed loud mouth drunked aussies girls around if your wife hunting 555

That sounds SO appealing, Ash. 555

I think I'll join my friend in Vietnam instead. With my fair skin and tendency to melanomas I can no longer be a beach bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    That sounds SO appealing, Ash. 555

I think I'll join my friend in Vietnam instead. With my fair skin and tendency to melanomas I can no longer be a beach bum.
    As I told.you when we met, you should definitely check out Vietnam.....just don't expect the same type of female interaction as in Thailand......a world apart

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I love Samui, to me it has enough entertainment but still maintains a great island feel

Is there any other islands in Thailand that have decent nightlife, can ride around on a scooter and really nice beaches?

thanks
    I agree with Ian have a look at Koh Chang, there is a small nightlife/bar scene on there, but its been a few years since I went also.

As I told.you when we met, you should definitely check out Vietnam.....just don't expect the same type of female interaction as in Thailand......a world apart
    That wouldn't bother me for the time I would spend there. I sometimes need a break from women anyway. I've even gone to Pattaya to see friends and slept in my own be alone.

Brad told me that Vietnam was more of a "girl friend - boy friend" situation where you get to know someone before there is any intimacy. And, the girls all have jobs or careers, and would be insulted if you tried to pay for everything like you were "buying" them. Brad thought it was a refreshing change to Pattaya where he used to hang out. Everything in Patts is too mercenary and cold.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    yes...Chang is about the next best after Samui for nightlife...there is a small but OK bar scene (and one nightclub) going on there..I'd say there are about 30 bars dotted around the island..some have a BG or two in them

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar

thanks
    i think thats why some of us like samui so much paulie....and it does have the best guide in all of thailand that just happends to live there 555555....

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    yes...Chang is about the next best after Samui for nightlife...there is a small but OK bar scene (and one nightclub) going on there..I'd say there are about 30 bars dotted around the island..some have a BG or two in them
    Ko Chang the beaches didn't seem as nice as Samui?

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Ko Chang the beaches didn't seem as nice as Samui?
    agreed ....Lippe has beautiful beaches...but no real nightlife..some restaurants and bars but on a small scale...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar

thanks
    What about Phuket? I've never explored the quieter parts of it, but people who do frequent places like Kamala seem to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post

Bali is fantastic outside of the tourist infested sewers like Kuta, Legian and Seminyak. Again, not something I've explored thoroughly as I'm allergic to fresh air and clean places.
    Zablive and OZZYGUY like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    What about Phuket? I've never explored the quieter parts of it, but people who do frequent places like Kamala seem to love it.

Bali is fantastic outside of the tourist infested sewers like Kuta, Legian and Seminyak. Again, not something I've explored thoroughly as I'm allergic to fresh air and clean places.
    Yes, I've been thinking about going back to Phuket......the only thing is even the quieter places like Kamala seem somewhat congested on the main street compared to where I go in Samui

I loved Bali, we stayed in Seminyak

But I think if/when I go back maybe just back to Samui and also Lipe......I've wanted to go for awhile

Platinum
    Yes, I've been thinking about going back to Phuket......the only thing is even the quieter places like Kamala seem somewhat congested on the main street compared to where I go in Samui

I loved Bali, we stayed in Seminyak

But I think if/when I go back maybe just back to Samui and also Lipe......I've wanted to go for awhile
    Why not try Koh Phangan, I was there for the first time this April, I will definitely go back again.
    The beaches was nicer than Samui with clearer water(maybe I was lucky).

The only thing I didn't like was that it was almost impossible to rent a motorbike without leaving my passport, next time I bring my own bike.

If you need have to have girlie bars, Phangan is not your place, but there are plenty of normal bars
    Koh Phangan Nightlife - What to Do at Night in Koh Phangan

If you’re planning on coming to Koh Phangan purely for nightlife make sure you stay in Haad Rin, it’s as simple as that. Haad Rin has the largest and most concentrated collection of bars and clubs in the Gulf of Thailand while the rest of the island is a haven of tranquility.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    agreed ....Lippe has beautiful beaches...but no real nightlife..some restaurants and bars but on a small scale...
    I did Lippe maybe 8 years ago. I wonder how it's developed. Its a trek to get there. And my hotel proprietor was as Wild West as they come. The safe was the top drawer of the filing cabinet. And the proprietor sleeping one off in the chair..55 Snorkeling was top notch. There were a couple fun bars where you can smoke a doobie...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I did Lippe maybe 8 years ago. I wonder how it's developed. Its a trek to get there. And my hotel proprietor was as Wild West as they come. The safe was the top drawer of the filing cabinet. And the proprietor sleeping one off in the chair..55 Snorkeling was top notch. There were a couple fun bars where you can smoke a doobie...
    Agree with that . We drove down and it wasnt too far from Phuket , and the scenery on the way was good.
    But the swimming/snorkelling on Lippe was awesome ...really , really clear waters, tho I got attacked by trigger fish ! 555

Sometimes people mention Lanta , but theres no comparison to Lippe or Phuket for water quality .
    Even the sand isnt white/golden.
    Lanta Town is worth a visit , and so is the National park ( I HEARD , I didnt go ) , but being a Moslen island the nightlife wasnt much at all.

PS Koh Chang looks tidal to me - I dont like tepid , tidal ...

Platinum
    I went to Koh Chang about three years ago. I was planning to stay in Patts all week but the Irish Rovers had messed up my booking.......

It was about three hours from Patts (and you can get a direct bus from Swampy airport - they run about two times a day from memory).

The beaches weren't as good as (I remember) Koh Samui but still pretty good. I had a good time. The West side of the island is more developed then the East (which is almost deserted). At the North end of the West side is "White Sands" which is probably the busiest area with a "mini" Pattaya set of beer bars.

It seems more of a back-packer place then Samui - there did not appear to be as many luxury residences (7 star hotels etc.) as Samui has.

There is a good website "iamkohchang.com" which will give you more detail.

In the wet season it is very very wet (I think September is getting on for 500mm of rain) - which is getting on for 2cm a day.