Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I went to Cuba in Bangkok!(Telefono)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

I went to Cuba in Bangkok!(Telefono)

This will really rile up the plastic stoolers 555

It's main name is Havana Social

I was out with Bono and G-Spot form PI last night and Bono mentioned this unique new Cuban Bar by Soi 11
    It's on a small side Soi across from Fraser Suites and you walk into a telephone booth and dial a code to get in.

Inside is like you were transported to Havana, Cuba.
    Just a gorgeous bar, but in a very rustic sense.

They have a full on merengue band playing and dancing and the band is as good as any I saw in Puerto Rico a couple months ago.
    Both Thais(yes, can you believe it) and Farang enjoying themselves.
    Drinks look pricey but beers are 140baht

The venue is one of the coolest bars I've ever been in, anywhere

https://m.facebook.com/havanasocialbkk

^Have you been to Havana Paul? Just wondered if someone like me would even recognise what theme it had?

Any pics of Fidel in there?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I wonder if this place is owned by same people that own Bangkok Betty's?
    similar theme.
    Cubano someone's been watching Chef.555555
    i could handle pulling up a barstool there plastic or no.5555

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    I wonder if this place is owned by same people that own Bangkok Betty's?
    similar theme.
    Cubano someone's been watching Chef.555555
    i could handle pulling up a barstool there plastic or no.5555
    Im super curious to know who owns it also because it was so authentic and so cool

And believe, I'm not against plastic stools either!

You might like Bangkok Betty's corner Suk and Soi 22. Good coffee shop next door too.(in the Holiday inn tower)

You might like Bangkok Betty's corner Suk and Soi 22. Good coffee shop next door too.(in the Holiday inn tower)

Not now it ain't. Both Betty's and the coffee shop closed down about 3-5 weeks ago. Being turned into some kind of steak house apparently. PITA, used to like BBs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS: The owners of Bangkok Betty are the owners of Bon Bon at Thong Lo so they'd be the folks to ask (forgot there's no edit button here - at least blowed if I can find it on Tapatalk)

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I was taken to Havana Social by my BKK "friend" earlier this year....the phone booth gimmick is kinda part of the experience....adds a kind of "exclusive/secretive" vibe to it...we enjoyed it and had fun in there

as Paulie said...BKK is a very cool international city these days....lots of very nice small venues/bars/restaurants if you are willing to look for them and be open to new experiences...and there are still all the same usual spots for old mongers and mongrels about if that's all you want...555
    Rockitt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
    Not now it ain't. Both Betty's and the coffee shop closed down about 3-5 weeks ago. Being turned into some kind of steak house apparently. PITA, used to like BBs

Sad quite liked it but also it never seemed to pull a big crowd.
    and it was a big place.

Glimpsed briefly at the Facebook page fort this place. So does it require a telephone call to the bar to get the entry code before going? Plan to have a look there tonight or tomorrow. Sounds interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sad quite liked it but also it never seemed to pull a big crowd.
    and it was a big place.

Yeah it seemed to only get a bit busy on Friday or Saturday nights. Even then it was rarely packed. Weekdays it seemed to range from quiet to deserted, especially if there was no band.

Will be going to Bon Bon Thursday or Friday. I'll ask the owner of Cuba is one of theirs. They've got about 4-5 places scattered around.

Glimpsed briefly at the Facebook page fort this place. So does it require a telephone call to the bar to get the entry code before going? Plan to have a look there tonight or tomorrow. Sounds interesting.

yep....you call the club and get the password first and then enter it in the phone booth...a door then opens at the back of the phone booth and that is the entry to the club

It was developed by Soho Hospitality...the same guys who did Above 11 across the soi

The night I was there they had 2 couples (professionals) dancing the tango...as I said..it was kinda fun

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    yep....you call the club and get the password first and then enter it in the phone booth...a door then opens at the back of the phone booth and that is the entry to the club

It was developed by Soho Hospitality...the same guys who did Above 11 across the soi

The night I was there they had 2 couples (professionals) dancing the tango...as I said..it was kinda fun
    You don't have to call ahead.
    The doorman outside will give you the code

As I said......no need to call ahead. The doorman outside will give you the code.
    It's on a tiny Soi so my advice is go to where Fraser Suites is and across the street is a 7-11
    It's on the Soi to the left of 7-11, you will see the sign in black with white colors.
    Looks like it might have food upstairs, I only stayed downstairs.
    I went about 10:15pm and it was already busy but a lot of people coming in when I left at 11pm

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    You don't have to call ahead.
    The doorman outside will give you the code
    My TG "friend" had already phoned ahead and got the code...she's a bit anal like that..555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Is the Havana Social geared mainly for the younger crowd or is it a mix of all types.
    Soi 11 does seem to have plenty of the more up market smaller type bars/clubs and restaurants but I found many of them to be full of falang couples rather than single lonely Asian girls 555.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    Is the Havana Social geared mainly for the younger crowd or is it a mix of all types.
    Soi 11 does seem to have plenty of the more up market smaller type bars/clubs and restaurants but I found many of them to be full of falang couples rather than single lonely Asian girls 555.
    It was very mixed and a very good vibe/scene.

There were 2 or 3 groups of 2 TG's hanging out together.
    There were a lot of older farang couples, one lady was dancing up a storm and she was really good.
    Them groups of single farang girls and some groups of single farang guys.......
    It really was a big mix of different people but no attitudes at all....
    The place, itself......doesn't lend itself to people having attitudes...
    Because you have 3 people playing music and dancing that isn't anything but simple and fun.

Simply put.......it's not a "look at me" crowd

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    It was very mixed and a very good vibe/scene.

There were 2 or 3 groups of 2 TG's hanging out together.
    There were a lot of older farang couples, one lady was dancing up a storm and she was really good.
    Them groups of single farang girls and some groups of single farang guys.......
    It really was a big mix of different people but no attitudes at all....
    The place, itself......doesn't lend itself to people having attitudes...
    Because you have 3 people playing music and dancing that isn't anything but simple and fun.

Simply put.......it's not a "look at me" crowd
    Great. Sounds like a cool place to visit. I will put it on the top of my list for March next year. Thanks for the tip.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Can you get Cohibas there?
    The entry is very "Maxwell Smart"...555

Well I did the visit to Havana Social last Friday. We were the first to arrive at 8.30 and we were given the code number by a very nice lady stood outside. What a fantastic place! So authentic. I loved the old radio blasting out Cuban messages in the gents toilet. Very friendly staff and a rich mix of clients. Highly recommended for a couple of beers or a cocktail. Apparently the owner is opening a French style Parisian bar. Should be worth a visit too. Thanks for the tip MT6
    Quarky and Rivo like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast