Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Soi dogs

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

Soi dogs

We have discussed these creatures in several threads before, and consensus seems to be that I am overreacting..
    Which might well be true to some extend.

Thing is, I love walking and here in Holland I go for really long walks in forests few people come. But the ones that do go there feel free to unleash their dogs (since there is no one around), even if the dog cannot be trusted.
    Now in Holland at least I know that the animal has an owner, and has received it's vaccinations. Still I detest being bitten by a creature I never harmed or threatened, and I hate the fact that I can only defend myself (legally) after the beast has put it's teeth in me.

In Thailand I do not want to risk that at all. Dogs carry germs, and my holiday would be seriously ruined when I got bitten, rabies vaccination does not come cheap and easy..

My daughter loves dogs and thinks they are are cuddly pets.. I have not been able to show or explain why I disagree, as I have not been able to do on here..

Found this vid, that shows a bit of what the sleepy daytime dogs can change into at night..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I wouldn't ever be worried about a Soi Dog attacking me.....
    They bark but scurry along once you get close to them.

My issue with Soi dogs is they are a pain in the ass when you have a dog.
    When we had my German Shepherd in Patong they would go nuts barking and such when we walked down the street with him.

But he took no shit so if any of them got close he let them know to back off.

But that wouldn't be the same with my Golden now.....he's a wimp and I would have to keep them away
    A lot of dog owners carry sticks and don't even have to whack the Soi dogs with it, juts raise it and they run.

But as just a person walking down the Street......I don't think there is anything to worry about
    Changone likes this.

^^ Well, I have never been bitten yet, but..
    I have been attacked like the Thai guy in the vid plenty of times..
    And there are places I don't walk at night..

I just don't feel it's right giving an animal the right to attack and threaten on public roads.
    Police would see it as a problem if humans acted like that..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    ^^ Well, I have never been bitten yet, but..
    I have been attacked like the Thai guy in the vid plenty of times..
    And there are places I don't walk at night..

I just don't feel it's right giving an animal the right to attack and threaten on public roads.
    Police would see it as a problem if humans acted like that..
    But the video clearly shows my point....
    Just make a move towards them and they will back off....

I'm much more worried about a pack of LB's or Nigerians on lower Suk than I am Soi dogs
    Changone and Cuzzy like this.

I'm also not discounting that soi dogs could be a concern if you aren't comfortable around dogs or just don't care for them.....

That's why i give the advice, as the farang does......not to be afraid and they will back off

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But the video clearly shows my point....
    Just make a move towards them and they will back off....

I'm much more worried about a pack of LB's or Nigerians on lower Suk than I am Soi dogs
    Oh, I don't worry about soi dogs on the lower Suk.. The taxi's have taken care of most, and only the smart ones survive.. 555

It's that small moo baan in Nakhon Nowhere, where there is just one karaoke converted barn at about 300 meters from "home"...
    Then walking back at 4 am you are suddenly surrounded by a pack of 40 canine terrorists.. I'd prefer LB's, they only want my money.. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Yeah dog bite is a big threat out in the boonies as neither the biter or bightee have had the correct shots and they tend to roam in packs. The one you're not looking at can easily take out your Achilles heel
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    M26 and me agree long term on this subject as we both love dogs, mostly big ones, and for many years now.
    You have to know dog behaviour a bit and try to lose the irrational fear of dogs (Cynophobia).
    Hard to do if you have had some big mutt sink his fangs in you already.
    Dogs in numbers act differently to individuals (not much different to humans).
    Most individual dogs however act out of fear so don't corner them or threaten them if you can avoid it.
    If dogs have been "Socialized" around people and other dogs, and the owner practices basic control they are rarely a problem.

If you are in Nakhon nowhere however, most likely all they have been around is other semi-feral dogs so look out.

My Buffy was Socialized and quite calm. She just didn't like cops. There must have been an incident in her past which triggered each time she was close to one. When Nut first came to Aus she took Buffy walking and out of the blue she lunged at a cop. Nut did a great job holding her on the lead and the cop congratulated her on her control (If only he'd known she'd only been here a few days and never handled a dog in her life before)...555 Later she met some kids walking in a park and they said "Ooohh....a Rottweiler...". She said "Noo..not Lottweiler, just cheeky chicken dog".
    When she came home I showed hers some pics...."Oooohhh....yes...Lottweiler"...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I was once crossing a bridge in the Asoke area at around 5am and saw 2 dogs at the other side of the bridge coming towards me. As soon as they saw me they went into 4th gear and I ended up bursting into a cafe to get away from them. It was scary at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    A couple of times I've had individual soi dogs chase my electric trike and try to bite me.
    The walking stick treatment across the nose cures that.
    And I've owned 8 dogs so I'm not scared of them.
    Changone likes this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I grew up with dogs and dealt with them all my life as a paper boy and later as a mailman. I've been bitten by more dogs than I can count, but I still love dogs. I have no problem approaching any dog, or group of dogs. I think aggressive animals instinctively know who to attack and who not to attack. As I mentioned on the dog topic I've personally killed 4 dogs, but only one that was attacking me. I have no problem killing things.

I do a LOT of walking in Thailand and any time I go through a village I'm always greeted by a bunch of soi dogs. 99.9% of them are just curious about the stranger. I also know that lots of dogs are friendly OUTSIDE their home base, but can be aggressive if you come close to their home.

There was one particularly nasty dog on a soi I used to walk through. When I walked down his road I brought a two meter walking stick made of green bamboo. The dog quickly learned not to come out snarling at me. It is very effective on people as well.

I've got way too many stories to list them all here. I told some of them on the dog topic.

When we stopped to check out some ripe bananas a whole group of dogs were around us, and there wasn't a home within a mile of where we were.

This group was more interested in a female dog than us.

Changone likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    It's simple. All dogs are descended from wolves. Pack behaviour is the same anywhere.
    Every dog has something up to and including the capacity of a wolf, and they are an apex predator.
    Just a question of knowing how many of the thousands of years of domestication are impacted in the dog in front of you.
    Still, I'd say a 2 metre stick would be an apex equaliser...555

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    It's simple. All dogs are descended from wolves. Pack behaviour is the same anywhere.
    Every dog has something up to and including the capacity of a wolf, and they are an apex predator.
    Just a question of knowing how many of the thousands of years of domestication are impacted in the dog in front of you.
    Still, I'd say a 2 metre stick would be an apex equaliser...555
    Any other kind of predator allowed to roam the streets in packs protected by law?

Soi dogs are not protected by law -just by Buddhist principles 555!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Soi dogs are not protected by law -just by Buddhist principles 555!
    Yes they are! Your friend made sure...

Thai: พระราชบัญญัติป้องกันการทารุณกรรมและการจัดสวัสดิภาพ สัตว์ พ.ศ. ๒๕๕๗; literally "Animal Cruelty Prevention and Animal Welfare Provision Act, 2557 BE") is a parliamentary act of the National Legislative Assembly of Thailand.

"My friend " -wtf.

Time to stop self-medicating and a period of detox mate.

Yes they are! Your friend made sure...
    You are acting like you never travelled around the world before to developing countries(I know you have extensively)
    Street dogs are an issue in most developing countries

And the way Thais treat dogs/animals.........I am happy to see the law in place

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    You are acting like you never travelled around the world before to developing countries(I know you have extensively)
    Street dogs are an issue in most developing countries

And the way Thais treat dogs/animals.........I am happy to see the law in place
    Honestly haven't seen a dog problem anywhere as in Thailand.
    Which is not so strange, since dogs are routinely fed at any wat in the country and not sterilized or anything.

The only thing that kept things in balance was the rounding up of dogs for commercial purposes (read meat trade).
    Now that that has stopped, it's happy breeding.

Different from other countries, it is un-Thai to show aggression towards a dog or a pack. In most other countries I have been, trowing a stone or raising a stick is common practice, not so in Thailand.
    And for some reason, dogs have no owner when they bite you, but when they get hurt, the "rightful" owner is right there and everyone saw what happened... Pay up, palease... 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Different from other countries, it is un-Thai to show aggression towards a dog or a pack. In most other countries I have been, trowing a stone or raising a stick is common practice, not so in Thailand.
    And for some reason, dogs have no owner when they bite you, but when they get hurt, the "rightful" owner is right there and everyone saw what happened... Pay up, palease... 555
    I can guarantee that the owners do not want to try that crap with me or they will get same as their dog. I've been a hunter all my life and know how to deal with "things". You only get one warning. In my book the only law is the winner. An aggressive dog allowed to roam on its own is a dead dog with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I can guarantee that the owners do not want to try that crap with me or they will get same as their dog. I've been a hunter all my life and know how to deal with "things". You only get one warning. In my book the only law is the winner. An aggressive dog allowed to roam on its own is a dead dog with me.
    Saw a car overrun a dog in Surin. All were Thai, no falang involved.
    And I saw it happening, the dog just sort of walking into the car on the middle of the street.

Still the car owner was circled by many Thai, demanding something of him.
    When it was about to go nasty, police showed up... Merely to lead the negotiations.. 555
    Changone likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast