Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree287Likes

Thread: Is Thailand cheap?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Is Thailand cheap?

This conversation/debate is always coming up....
    I've been saying for years that Thailand is no longer a cheap holiday destination and definitely not cheap like it used to be.

That really hit home when I went to Tokyo a couple years ago before Thailand and Tokyo was cheaper than Thailand!

But......I'd say Thailand still has a lot of good value....very good value.

Cheap......
    Weirdly I think it is cheaper in tourist areas like Phuket/Samui than in some parts of local Bangkok..

Street food, although a lot more expensive than before for locals, is still incredible value.

Accommodation is still very good value...... especially away from high season. We stayed in our great oceanfront room in Lamai for 66cad/nt including cooked to order breakfast and massage every day.
    Beer bars are still cheap. Well, at least for a guy buying beers...

I also think you can get some great happy hour and lunch deals.
    I had 2 tacos and a coke at Cheap Charlie's in Soi 11 for 150baht and it was really good.

Not cheap...
    I think anything above beer bars/tourist areas is as expensive or more expensive than in the West.
    Even casual places like Pizza Company and coffee shops are as much as anything in the West.
    Drinks at "higher end" bars and discos are as much or more than in the West.

I think you can still have a very affordable holiday in Thailand but it is a lot more expensive than its neighbors like Vietnam and Laos
    Although I still think Thailand has much better value for accommodations than those countries......I'd imagine because of much bigger supply

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    as a general rule anything western/imported is as expensive as in the west..if not moreso because tax/duty is added onto most imported items

If you want to live like a modest Thai you can still buy chicken noodle soup for 45 baht in Lamai, plus Pad Thai and many other Thai dishes for 50 baht...drink beers from 7/11 for 30 baht or the bars that do 50 baht Changs...and live in a 5K a month room...but what would be the point of living like that..it would be fkn miserable

I can live pretty comfortably on US$2500 a month here (Samui) without really denying myself anything I want....but I don't drink or hit the bars anywhere near as much as I used to for the first few years I lived here....and I don't really eat in the upmarket tourist restaurants here...if i am eating western food I am usually cooking it for myself...I prefer it that way

having said that I can blow 50K baht on a weekend in BKK with airfares, hitting the restaurants/bars/clubs and staying in a nice hotel

BKK is an international city these days with all the options that entails...but get away from the SUK/City Centre and you will find many Thais living modest lives in great little neighbourhoods

[QUOTE=bacwaan;309796

BKK is an international city these days with all the options that entails...but get away from the SUK/City Centre and you will find many Thais living modest lives in great little neighbourhoods[/QUOTE]

Sure...but I was talking about as a westerner on holiday, or as expats like yourself living in tourist areas.

And believe me, it isn't that cheap living a middle to lower class live as a local Thai in Bangkok
    I know because I finance one 555
    Anything above just getting by is not that cheap.......

My wife is at say close to 50k/Mo(or more)
    Food, a decent house, car, and expenses add up in Bangkok
    Especially if you have kids in Bangkok vs, say kids in the village.
    The kids in the Bangkok are very exposed to "western style" living so want to do all the things that Western kids do and that adds up

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    10 years ago was getting 30-33 baht to the aud.20% less now and prices of many things have doubled since then.

It's definitely a lot more expensive from my pov.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Is Thailand cheap?
    A good question that needs to be asked from time to time, but compared to what?
    For me it is a matter of the yawning gap between what most people can expect to earn there each year, compared to the
    accepted cost of living.

Of course expats can live reasonably well for US$30k per year, but while a small percentage of Thais can easily earn well in excess of that, most still can't. The professions don't get that much, and shop staff and farm labourers much less.
    I constantly hear how asians can live more cheaply than westerners, but given the choice, would they?
    Personal debt is a modern phenomenon which keeps people reaching for an unattainable lifestyle and consequently from properly providing for themselves.

Now, we could simply be asking if Thailand still a cheap holiday destination for westerners, nouveau riche Indians and Chinese I'd have to say a big yes. They are still coming in droves and I doubt they would if they had found somewhere else cheaper and better.

I understand that places like Croatia are very good tourist $ value nowadays and I will definitely be looking there.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Is Thailand cheap?
    A good question that needs to be asked from time to time, but compared to what?
    For me it is a matter of the yawning gap between what most people can expect to earn there each year, compared to the
    accepted cost of living.

Of course expats can live reasonably well for US$30k per year, but while a small percentage of Thais can easily earn well in excess of that, most still can't. The professions don't get that much, and shop staff and farm labourers much less.
    I constantly hear how asians can live more cheaply than westerners, but given the choice, would they?
    Personal debt is a modern phenomenon which keeps people reaching for an unattainable lifestyle and consequently from properly providing for themselves.

Now, we could simply be asking if Thailand still a cheap holiday destination for westerners, nouveau riche Indians and Chinese I'd have to say a big yes. They are still coming in droves and I doubt they would if they had found somewhere else cheaper and better.

I understand that places like Croatia are very good tourist $ value nowadays and I will definitely be looking there.
    My wife lives in middle class neighborhood. People have disposable gloves income but we went looking at townhouses the other day.
    4-5 million baht and seemingly common Thais all living in them.
    I just wonder what type of jobs they have where they can afford a a 4-5million baht house...

We know the poorer demographic and we see the rich Thais who are richer than most of us.

But I wonder how much you need to earn to qualify for a mortgage on a house like that and more importantly, to afford a house like that.
    I'm not questioning how they can afford it.....
    I'm curious what those mid-level type jobs are in Thailand?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But I wonder how much you need to earn to qualify for a mortgage on a house like that and more importantly, to afford a house like that.
    I'm not questioning how they can afford it.....
    I'm curious what those mid-level type jobs are in Thailand?
    Not sure about 4-5 million, not sure if thats average either ..

But i do know with my SIL in BK on 40K baht a month, she borrowed for her house last year with no deposit at all , so borrowed 100% , with one dependent, credit card debt and on 40K ...

Her townhouse could be worth 2 or 2.5 mil already .... which kinda explains why the banks are throwing money at thias for property
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Not sure about 4-5 million, not sure if thats average either ..

But i do know with my SIL in BK on 40K baht a month, she borrowed for her house last year with no deposit at all , so borrowed 100% , with one dependent, credit card debt and on 40K ...

Her townhouse could be worth 2 or 2.5 mil already .... which kinda explains why the banks are throwing money at thias for property
    Would you know what their monthly payment is?
    I dont mean to be nosy......just curious about the whole thing

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Would you know what their monthly payment is?
    I dont mean to be nosy......just curious about the whole thing
    8000 a month .... fairly cheap rent right ? ... seems a no brainier to me, we are going to buy one for JK's parents to live as she sends back that each money for rent anyway ..

town house was brand new, in Pinklao, 3 bedrooms but had no western kitchen, sky train supposedly being built to her area, but haven't confirmed that, maybe thats hence the increase, usual new townhouse with swimming pool and gym that no one uses ...

I know Minders was a lot more than this, maybe closer to the center ?

Have i got this right, as this is her deal ?

8000 x 12 months

96,000 baht a year for 30 years

2.8 million paid after 30 years ...

Still a no brainer
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

8000 a month .... fairly cheap rent right ? ... seems a no brainier to me, we are going to buy one for JK's parents to live as she sends back that each money for rent anyway ..

town house was brand new, in Pinklao, 3 bedrooms but had no western kitchen, sky train supposedly being built to her area, but haven't confirmed that, maybe thats hence the increase, usual new townhouse with swimming pool and gym that no one uses ...

8000 x 12 months

Still a no brainer
    Minder is over by where my wife lives.....
    I actually brought his place up because the house seemed pretty nice for the price I seem to remember him saying they spent.
    My wife said it was "too far" which is subjective.....

My wife lives in Samut Prakan but the closest part of Samut Prakan to BangNa

And just like everywhere she lives...... It is usually the most expensive area of sorts in that area!
    Her area of Samut Prakan has 2 of the best International Schools and a lot of big name factories.....
    So I think the prices are a bit higher in that area.
    (And they just live there because thats where they worked in the factories, not because they have any money)

The 4-5million townhouse was not in a Moo Baan, which sounds like your SIL is in and nicer......

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

8000 x 12 months

Still a no brainer
    To make any kind of silly financial sense, you'd expect to pay at least double the purchase price on a mortgage over a thirty year term. What would you expect to pay for such a house?....About 1.4mil baht?

Cadet silver
    Last time I was over there (2012- CM/BKK/Phuket), I didn't think it was cheap (as in cheap!) but would say most things were good value 555.

Was getting nearly 50 bht to the £ then but thanks to our piss poor pound, it'll most likely be low 40's next time (April 17). Couple that with inflation (no idea what general inflation is in Thailand but i'm assuming it's not negative!) and i'm not expecting a cheap holiday 555.

Still, at least it'll be nowhere near as eye bleedingly expensive as Australia :-)

If I wanted a cheap holiday i'd go to Eastern Europe.

^Thailand seemed very cheap when it was 75 baht to the pound... was only ten years ago...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Im in Bali Indinisia at the moment. Thailand is cheaper than this place although many years ago it wasnt.

I find it interesting seeing the cost of things in differant places. E.g.

Bali massages are cheaper than Thai.
    Hotels in Philipines are more expensive than Thai.
    Food in Vietnam is cheaper than Thai.
    ST in Phils is half the price of in Thai
    ST in Bali is twice the price of Thai and half as good.
    Domestic flights in Thai are cheaper than Phils
    Taxi in Thai are cheaper than Bali.

Just a few.

Disclaimer ST comparison are a few years ago now 55
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Im in Bali Indinisia at the moment. Thailand is cheaper than this place although many years ago it wasnt.

Just a few.

As you said......it is interesting how some things are more expensive in one country, while others are much cheaper
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post

Just a few.

In the PI is you pay the bar and give a small tip to the girl....The bar then splits the money with the girl on a fixed agreed upon ratio....supposedly 70/30 to the girl but some bars its 50/50 I hear

I don't trust the Bar Owners over there so I'd always give at least 1000 pesos to the girl in the morning...most expats there would give about 200...

the price to take a girl out of a bar is usually somewhere between 1k (US$20..in a standard bar) and 2K pesos (for a dancer)...so you can get away with paying as little as $25 ($20 to the bar and $5 to the girl).....but even if you were to tip 1k like me you'd still only be paying about $40 for LT ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Sure, You can purchase all sorts of cheap crap: fake sunglasses, fake luggage, fake clothing, fake watches and occasionally... fake women. 555

Accommodation can be all over the map. There are high end hotels right next to basic shacks. I've seen rooms of similar quality costing from 400 baht to over 3000 baht per night. Same with restaurants. You can pay 35 baht for Kow Padt Gai in a Thai café or 200 baht for exactly the same thing in some place that "thinks" they are special because they place an orchid on your plate. Your choice.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I'm sure you could get cheap accommodation in Syria right now. 555

I'm a cheap Charlie and won't pay more than I have to. As long as I have a comfortable bed, reasonable internet, a place to work and a clean bathroom with reliable hot water, then I am happy. I don't want to impress anyone. I don't need a big kitchen in Thailand because I'm not going to do much cooking, anyway. The tiny fridge is adequate. Where I stay in Chiang Mai costs me less than 5000 baht a month and I don't need any more.

However, it would be entirely different if I lived in Thailand full time, and married. Women would expect something more.

As you said......it is interesting how some things are more expensive in one country, while others are much cheaper
    But in general I do find holidays in LOS not that expensive and good value compared to other places I go.

In any country you can travel cheap or expensive what ever suites your style or budget.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    In the PI is you pay the bar and give a small tip to the girl....The bar then splits the money with the girl on a fixed agreed upon ratio....supposedly 70/30 to the girl but some bars its 50/50 I hear

I don't trust the Bar Owners over there so I'd always give at least 1000 pesos to the girl in the morning...most expats there would give about 200...

the price to take a girl out of a bar is usually somewhere between 1k (US$20..in a standard bar) and 2K pesos (for a dancer)...so you can get away with paying as little as $25 ($20 to the bar and $5 to the girl).....but even if you were to tip 1k like me you'd still only be paying about $40 for LT ...
    I dont know anything about those type of activitys. 55

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast