Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Rattan Furniture

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Rattan Furniture

We were in the market for a new outdoor setting for our place in Chiang Rai a few months back. I had checked out the range at Home pro and although it looked ok I wasn't that impressed. We wernt in any rush and kept looking through any furniture shops we found. One night we met up with Norabunga in town to have a drink and we were booked into a local hotel for the night. The soon as I saw the outdoor setting at the hotel thought they look great, and strong. We asked the girl at reception did she know where they bought the outdoor settings, alas she had no idea. In the morning when we checked out we asked again as it was a different girl on reception and still no help.

As we were trying to manouvre out of the small parking area a Thai woman gave us a bit of a guide, we thanked her and she said she owned the place, I got Paer to ask about the furniture and she told us all about where they were from and the cost. She took us over to the tables and was pointing out the benefits, like steel frame and heavy gauge rattan. Typical Thai honesty she said they can handle the weight of a falang up me more 555 She said she has had a customer 200kg and no problem 555

Next stop was the shop/factory on the side of the road on the way to Mai Sai, nothing flash just a shed with the staff weaving the furniture onsite. The factory next door welded the steel frames together and painted them and then the workers weave the rattan to make the furniture. The finished products look good and the owner showed us some chairs in for repair, I asked how many years before the rattan broke, not my chairs these from Home Pro 555.........and they were smaller size rattan compared to what this shop used. We ordered our new setting that day and would be about 3 x days before they would be finished and deliver to our place.

One tip for anyone getting a product delivered, pay a deposit and the rest of the payment can be made on delivery of the goods.

obes and OZZYGUY like this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Gav I have brought some of this stuff in China a few times and one thing I will be buying on my next trip later in 2017.

One thing I would advise is that you get the frames in aluminium not steel. It will be lighter and it wont rust. A lot of these manufactures don't do a very good job at the paintwork and you end up with rust stains on your paving.

What was the cost ? say something like the round table with chairs.

In Aust would be about $600 at a guess and China around $80

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    What was the cost ? say something like the round table with chairs.

In Aust would be about $600 at a guess and China around $80

Weve already bought our setting, ours is the table in the picture below, with 2 x glass inserts on the table, also there are 3 x different styles of chairs, you can see in the pic below in the back ground, no armrests, small armrests or full size, we chose 6 x full size armrests chairs. Im gunna have to check with Paer as to the cost, ive forgotton 555............I had 20k baht in my head ?

On the legs there is an aluminium socket with rubber feet to stop marking the tiles, I doubt they will rust at our place, as they are under cover.

OZZYGUY likes this.

That's a nice looking set Gav...Just need one of them round lazy Suzan things to put all the food on.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    I was looking for similar for my balcony in Melbourne, but was reluctant as I was wondering if it would last. However, they had ratten furniture on the cruise ship balcony, so its back in the plan.

With the ratten, how do you differentiate between types to determine quality?
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    After about 12 months, your ass bursts through the cheap ones...555
    Quarky, Rivo, Nomad and 1 others like this.

That's a nice looking set Gav...Just need one of them round lazy Suzan things to put all the food on.

Plenty of room for food 555...................................

Changone, obes and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    nice looking stuff.

which hotel was it you stayed in?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    I like the indoor Rattan set, with the right coloured/material cushions, it'd be smick for the climate over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I was looking for similar for my balcony in Melbourne, but was reluctant as I was wondering if it would last. However, they had ratten furniture on the cruise ship balcony, so its back in the plan.

With the ratten, how do you differentiate between types to determine quality?
    This is what I was after...

Wicker Furniture: A Buyer's Guide - Outdoor Living Direct
    Rivo likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Do these guys produce them in commercial quantities? Say a 20 footer packed with them?
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

^ up to you

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Do these guys produce them in commercial quantities? Say a 20 footer packed with them?
    I'm sure if you went to the place Gav went they would be happy to do a bigger order.

Or I can arrange ex China if you want details PM me.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I'm sure if you went to the place Gav went they would be happy to do a bigger order.

Or I can arrange ex China if you want details PM me.
    All good, got plenty coming from China. I was interested in comparing prices. But then shipping is much simpler and cheaper from China as well.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

If you find it in BKK or CM, or elsewhere for a good price, is it viable to bring back to Australia, or will tax and shipping kill the benefit? Only looking at an outdoor lounge and/or table setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    If you find it in BKK or CM, or elsewhere for a good price, is it viable to bring back to Australia, or will tax and shipping kill the benefit? Only looking at an outdoor lounge and/or table setting.
    Duty is 5%
    GST 10%

If its just one I wouldn't bother think the shipping will out way the saving. Shipping for LCL container (shared container) would be around $400 at a guess.
    Nomad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    All good, got plenty coming from China. I was interested in comparing prices. But then shipping is much simpler and cheaper from China as well.
    ban tawai in CM has been doing this sort of stuff for yonks,

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    nice looking stuff.

which hotel was it you stayed in?

Kanlaya Place..................on Nora's recommendation..........cant beat the location if your intown for drink as we were $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ban tawai in CM has been doing this sort of stuff for yonks,

We couldn't find anyone doing Rattan Furniture in Ban Tawai...............they were more wooden furniture and we had a pretty good look for it, decided on Rai as alot easier getting it to our place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast