Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Hatari
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes

Thread: House/Building inspection

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

House/Building inspection

Is there such thing as building inspectors in Thailand?

When you buy a house in North America you hire a building inspector to inspect the house for issues.

Does Thailand have a similar set up?

We are looking to buy my wife a new build townhouse development but with the quality of build in Thailand I'd think it would be wise to have your own inspector
    But something tells me that doesn't happen?

Thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    find a trusted builder to have a look. buildings aren't inspected as far as i know/buyer beware.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

When our neighbour in Chalong was selling, a potential buyer did get an inspection completed, with detailed report so yes it can happen ...sale didn't go through but John did get copy of report, said it was 'over-engineered', John had supervised the build, to plans from a UK architect. Believe this was quite different to a standard Thai build

Even then, though, my opinion is an inspection of a new build won't show what went on behind the scenes. Plastered walls can cover a lot, and structural items, such as reinforcing steel, may be absent, or less than ideal quantity, plastic pipes poorly laid inside brick/concrete walls or floors, and ground prep, the tendency to build up land levels without proper compaction, lots to be wary of that any inspection may not be able to adequately assess

We lived just on two years in a brand new build here, fine when we moved in, till bathroom floor had to be cut up - drainage issues, kitchen ceiling leaked, after a year some leaks in second bedroom, low-grade exterior doors on to both balconies, crap locksets throughout, all looked good when new...
    bacwaan and Ian Forbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    When our neighbour in Chalong was selling, a potential buyer did get an inspection completed, with detailed report so yes it can happen ...sale didn't go through but John did get copy of report, said it was 'over-engineered', John had supervised the build, to plans from a UK architect. Believe this was quite different to a standard Thai build

Even then, though, my opinion is an inspection of a new build won't show what went on behind the scenes. Plastered walls can cover a lot, and structural items, such as reinforcing steel, may be absent, or less than ideal quantity, plastic pipes poorly laid inside brick/concrete walls or floors, and ground prep, the tendency to build up land levels without proper compaction, lots to be wary of that any inspection may not be able to adequately assess

We lived just on two years in a brand new build here, fine when we moved in, till bathroom floor had to be cut up - drainage issues, kitchen ceiling leaked, after a year some leaks in second bedroom, low-grade exterior doors on to both balconies, crap locksets throughout, all looked good when new...
    That's exactly my concern.
    At 4mil+ it is not small money
    Now it's just going to be for the family.....Not me.
    But I also don't want to throw away 4mil baht on a crappy built place.

I have the name of the builder who has done a lot of projects so will start searching but doubt there will be much in English.
    Obviously will have my wife search also for reviews or any talk on internet about them

Certain large builders eg quality homes, onsirin etc can be trusted. Others like kkn cannot. Send me details and I can give an opinion, otherwise ask on teak door. Assume property is in BKK? My neighbor is familiar with many development s in BKK.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post

Sounds like the builders who did the Hotel I'm staying at. I saw it when it was new and the rooms looked okay. Now, the are leakages everywhere, None of the sliding doors work properly, wiring is suspect, etc, etc. But, like so many Thai projects it has a big, fancy entrance with 3 cement elephants standing in a pond.
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Sounds like the builders who did the Hotel I'm staying at. I saw it when it was new and the rooms looked okay. Now, the are leakages everywhere, None of the sliding doors work properly, wiring is suspect, etc, etc. But, like so many Thai projects it has a big, fancy entrance with 3 cement elephants standing in a pond.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I kid you not. In my new room I just moved into yesterday, the so called "sliding" shower door doesn't move because the little wheels on the bottom are rusted shut and broken off. Whomever installed the air-con didn't do it properly and water drips from the room above onto the balcony below. However, for 3 months I can put up with it because it only costs me 4500 baht a month and they store a bunch of my crap for free when I'm away.

Dupree likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I kid you not. In my new room I just moved into yesterday, the so called "sliding" shower door doesn't move because the little wheels on the bottom are rusted shut and broken off. Whomever installed the air-con didn't do it properly and water drips from the room above onto the balcony below. However, for 3 months I can put up with it because it only costs me 4500 baht a month and they store a bunch of my crap for free when I'm away.

Hate to break it to you Ian.......If you renting a room for 4500/mo
    Fancy ain't no where around that building 555

Although from what I can see, not a bad building.
    Although I don't think I've ever seen a brick structure like that in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Hate to break it to you Ian.......If you renting a room for 4500/mo
    Fancy ain't no where around that building 555

Although from what I can see, not a bad building.
    Although I don't think I've ever seen a brick structure like that in Thailand
    I know that, Paul, but it was the big elephants to impress potential customers that had me confused. However, the staff here are great and there is a good bunch of expats who live here year-round. Like I've said before, I can sleep in a tent in the wilderness for three months if it suits my plans, so some faulty building doesn't bother me. I see what some Thais live like in rural villages.