Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: The old (and new) "Vehicles around LOS" thread

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    I was sitting in a bar in Chiang Mai one afternoon a few months ago when i watched this lady come from the bank and get into her Mercedes Car, I was thinking to myself that the motorbikes parked at either end of her car had not given her much room, not a problem, she reversed backwards and hit the motorbike behind her, then went forward and hit the motorbike infront of her and then reversed and hit the motorbike behind her again, and then she had enough room to drive off 555

Maybe Mercedes should look into reverse cameras and front and rear parking sensors 555

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

An old Hilman Hunter i saw for sale in Chiang Mai.......................

The Thailand built "THAIRUNG" which is based on a Toyota Hilux.......................

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    It could not be any uglier... but practical for some purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    It could not be any uglier... but practical for some purposes.

Come on Ian its aimed at you fisherman, can take you off the beaten track 555, the one I photographed is the "Transformer" model, here is the "Transformer 2"...................

A tidy looking VW I saw in Nan a few days ago....................................

Last edited by Rivo; 12th June 2019 at 11:43.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Hey Gavin your photo's, the one above and the ones on your own thread , are not showing to me...just a small circle with a bar in the middle.
    Rivo likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Beetles... the go anywhere vehicle.... slowly.... very, very slowly. We would find some guy on a VW Beetle or van way off in the whoop whoops on some 4x4 quad road.

I was having a beer with young Norabunga about a week ago at a bar in Chiang Rai City, I caught a glimpse of a red convertible car and quickly grabbed my phone to snap a pic, I haven't been able to identify what type of car it is, the photos are not the best..............................

justcruzing1 likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    ^ The grill screamed early 60's "Oldsmobile" mate ...here it is ...
    The 1962 Cutlass Convertible ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=60s+...3NFAcnM:&vet=1

A Picture review of the Oldsmobile from 1960 to 1970
    justcruzing1 likes this.

Looks like you have nailed it Chob, I had Rambler in my head but couldn't find a model with the same front bumper that I photographed

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Looks like you have nailed it Chob, I had Rambler in my head but couldn't find a model with the same front bumper that I photographed
    It has the little side bars at the number plates that Ive never seen on other cars either.
    LH drive .... not seen many of them here.

You must move at lightning speed Gav to see that red car coming.. have time to grab your beer, take a drink... then the phone to take a snap.. 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Not "NEW" vehicles, but they were in Thailand. These are/were at the museum in Kanchanaburi.

An old Mercedes.

Another old one of some make or model. Looks like a Chev, or an old Morris, but I would not bet on it.

Rivo likes this.

The Merc is some sort of 'made up' vehicle ...

I think the other is a Morris Oxford ...1949...

Ian Forbes likes this.

I saw this old FJ55 Land-Cruiser in Chiang Rai city last-night........................................

PeteGill, bacwaan and obes like this.

Out and about yesterday we were dropping the daughter off in Chiang Rai at her friends house, down near the White Temple and Rivo catches a glimpse of a red convertible, I said to Paer when we go back I want to go and look, you always want to look old car, old car no good 555 I recognized the car as the red convertible I saw a few weeks ago, the car looks alot better from a distance, still in reasonable condition though, only an old lady was about and she let me look at the car....................interesting that the 1962 Oldsmobile was powered by an aluminium 3.5L V8, the same engine that ended up as the famous Rover 3.5 V8 and even in 1962 had an option of a turbocharged V8.

From Wiki : For 1962 styling changes were minor, and included a new grille, different chrome ornamentation on the bodysides and new interior trim. The existing F-85 models returned, and a convertible was added to the line-up in September, available in both standard and Cutlass versions. The automatic transmission was replaced with an upgraded 4 speed Roto 5 Hydro-Matic transmission, and an all-synchromesh four-speed manual became optional. Overall F-85 sales rose to 97,382, with the Cutlass displacing the four-door De Luxe sedan as the top-selling model.

The Oldsmobile Jetfire

1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire
    The bigger news was the arrival of the Oldsmobile Jetfire, a Cutlass pillarless hardtop with a turbocharged version of the 215 V8, dubbed Turbo-Rocket. This made the 1962 Jetfire the first ever turbocharged production car, an honor it shares with the 1962 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder. Equipped with a Garrett AiResearch turbocharger and a sidedraft, one-barrel, blow-through carburetor, the Turbo-Rocket engine was rated at 215 bhp (218 PS; 160 kW) at 4,600 rpm and 300 lb⋅ft (407 N⋅m) at 3,200 rpm. The Jetfire came with bucket seats and console, unique trim—two chrome fins on the hood and full-length contrast stripes on the bodysides—and a pressure/vacuum gauge mounted in the console (where it was almost hidden). Although much faster than a standard F-85, the Jetfire was criticized for having the same soft suspension as its less-powerful brothers, for its lack of a tachometer and other instruments, and for the poor shift quality of both the automatic transmission and the optional four-speed. Car and Driver tested an automatic Jetfire and obtained a 0–60 time of 9.2 seconds, with a top speed of 110 mph (176 km/h). The Jetfire's high cost (nearly $300 over a standard Cutlass hardtop) and reliability problems with its turbocharged engines limited sales to 3,765.

Of course I snapped a couple of pics...................

bacwaan and sidvicious like this.

I was doing some exploring on the scooter when I came across some old cars, this Mercedes would of been a very expensive car here in Thailand, and a wagon which you dont see to often, no accident damage so it makes you wonder how it become abandoned ?............................

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I was doing some exploring on the scooter when I came across some old cars, this Mercedes would of been a very expensive car here in Thailand, and a wagon which you dont see to often, no accident damage so it makes you wonder how it become abandoned ?............................
    I've come across things like that occasionally, and often wonder if it's some old, retired farang who died, and his Thai wife never knew how to drive. I've also known many Thais who do not maintain their vehicle and drive it until it craps out.

I know lotsa Westerners who drive/drove a car till it claps out - me being the one Im most familiar with...
    Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast