Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: The New Vehicles around LOS Thread

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Yes i dont see myself living in bangkok unfortuntley the wife works there at the moment , that is another thing i do is look at property around thailand and the price differences can be somewhat strange ,was just looking at the bt50 mazda and it is cheaper in thailand for a double cab 4x2 than it is here in au , i have to admit the engine is smaller than most of the others ,most are 2.5 and they run a 2.2 dont know if its a good or bad thing oh well keeps me mind active looking hahaha.
    It probably wont have a heater either.
    It may also have an inferior battery , going by the utes Ive seen.
    Most of us , remarkably , have got around 90,000 km out of our tyres !

Any car or ute made in Thailand was once well cheaper than Aus.
    I dont know that is the case now..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    most are 2.5 and they run a 2.2 dont know if its a good or bad thing oh well keeps me mind active looking hahaha.
    2.5L is the older models.
    2.2L these days amazingly has a lot more torque than those old 2.5's

My (and Chob's) old Chev was putting out 280nm of torque which was really good at the time. they pull like a train.
    Now i got me a 2.2L diesel here in Oz and it's putting out 420nm of torque (50% more) and along with the modern 6spd auto it's mind boggling strong with great response anytime you touch the throttle....and it's a fuel miser just like the old 2.5L...6.6L/100kms on the highway and around 8.8L/100kms around town with a bit of weight in it.
    2.2L is definitely the way to go,IMO.
    The MisterDishi's seem to be quite cheap in LOS but still a great option along with the BT50 and Chev's. Everyone wants a Toyota and you'll pay through the nose for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Its a Chev Colorado 2.7 lt turbo diesel.
    Actually it's a a 2.5L

Most of us , remarkably , have got around 90,000 km out of our tyres !
    130k kms out of the originals on my Chev.
    Was going to bin them at around 100k kms and decided to rotate them and found a new lease of life out of them....and only the one puncture in the time i had it.
    I never ever dreamt that a set of tyres could last that long and perform so well.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 3rd March 2019 at 08:20.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Cadet Gold
    Hi chob i think the colorado is basically the izuzu re badged companies do that , unfortunately i have heard some horror stories about the new colorado and holdens reluctance to fix them even though they are almost brand new .
    Its funny i showed the wife a picture of a ute without a canopy on the back ugly ugly she said then i showed her one with a conopy exactly the same vehicle ,ok if you want to buy strange how looks change peoples opinions . I have a nissan pathfinder at the moment station wagon when the wife came over last year picked her up and it was only about 10 km from the airport i realized she wasnt wearing her seat belt (common practice in thailand ) 300 doller + fine if she was caught for me ! Looking at your ute you could moonlight as a taxi almost .As for heater i think an ice dispenser may be a better option unless you live in the mountains also how do you tell a good battery from a bad one is it price or make ? one thing people dont do is check the water level and i would imagine in thailand it would be one thing you would want to a check on ,i normally check all fluids ect once a week and every day if i am going long distance .

Hi chob i think the colorado is basically the izuzu re badged companies do that ,
    Isuzu platform for sure.made in the same factory but look quite different.

The Ranger is a BT50 platform too.
    crispy likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Crispy should be looking for a more practical car for Thailand such as this VW.......................

wabbits, Quarky, Chob and 3 others like this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Cadet Gold
    Is that photo near kamala beach phuket because i rekon i know the owner .

Is that photo near kamala beach phuket because i rekon i know the owner .

Nope, that pic I took a few weeks ago when we had been up in Pua and rode our motorbikes out towards Bo Klua and then back to Nan, it was on the side of the road at an Automotive repair Shop.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Is that the battery attached to the front number plate?
    What could go wrong...

Any car or ute made in Thailand was once well cheaper than Aus.
    I dont know that is the case now..
    There is a significant price difference in the Pajero Sport 4x4 (a few slight differences in standard features) between Au. and Th. In Thailand basically you will pay Au.$10k more. It comes down to luxury tax by Th. government.

I do not know, but I suspect for utes/pickups the price differential is not much, for the Thai made ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Is that the battery attached to the front number plate?
    What could go wrong...
    Is there supposed to be a picture attached to this post?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    Is there supposed to be a picture attached to this post?

Nope......look at the front of the VW

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Nope......look at the front of the VW
    I had to zoom in.... see it now... 55
    wabbits likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    There is a significant price difference in the Pajero Sport 4x4 (a few slight differences in standard features) between Au. and Th. In Thailand basically you will pay Au.$10k more. It comes down to luxury tax by Th. government.

I do not know, but I suspect for utes/pickups the price differential is not much, for the Thai made ones.
    I guess I should add that the $ aud was 29 when I bought the Chev , and it is only 22 or so today...
    Theres often a 'Pick-up' Thread on TV.
    Someone there who appears to know a bit says that the days of interchangeable parts between a Chev and an Isuzu ute are almost gone.

What is the issue going on with Chevs that you mentioned above Crispy ?
    Any links or vids ?

Theres one other thing I should add on purchasing another ute here btw.
    Now that Thai roads are becoming increasingly jammed , well here in Phuket anyway , I would opt now for an automatic.
    Its a bummer to make it over from Samui side in less than 4 hours , and then spend another hour on Phuket constantly riding the clutch to cover the last 20 kms... I'd prefer an auto right about then.
    Actually , pretty much all the time in Phuket nowadays..
    crispy likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Hi chob there was a guy i think in n.s.w and he bought a brand new colorado and it was a lemon even featured on tv news as the dealer would not help him one bit apparently .On saying that i have a friend ex army who has a izuzu dmax 40k on the clock and he says it is the biggest piece of dog doo doo he has ever owned ,i drive one at work and i rekon their great seem to have good torque a little bit of lag but you get used to it if i had the coin i would buy one for myself ,mates ex just bought one and she rekons its all good only 63k

Bugger me ...at 22 baht on the $1 that converts to 1.4 million baht !

I have to say that a Welsh buddy of mine bought a 'burnt umber' coloured new one , a 4x4 that appeared to have all the bells and whistles, big mags , stripes etc ( but what do I know ) and he paid 1 million baht.

For me , I have no interest in a 4x4 , and in particular the 'lift up pack' that goes with it.
    If people deny they are inherently unstable , they therefore appear to have never observed the fact that cars designed for speed NEVER have lift up packs ..555
    The other 'reason' offered up to have a 4x4 is higher viz...until you are behind the exact same vehicle in front !

And maybe ONCE in 11 years of driving here I havent been able to negotiate a rocky steep road - obviously Im no off road explorer ...
    I just need my car pretty much as I did in Aus , shopping , holidays , school deliveries , something to go in if its pouring , plus Bike deliveries ( thus a ute now ) ...but used with way less frequency.
    A scooter Im comfy with saves 10,000 km on the car every year.

Give me one of these 6 speed 2,2 litre , fuel efficient , 1 and a half cab , auto utes Moo spoke of ( Im not sure what brand he was talking about ) . Do not throw in anything else except good cameras and top insurance and seat belts in the half cab , and I will be happy.
    (Make it under 700k also btw ...555)

Also btw ... the canopy over the tray , or 'lang-kahh as the Thai call them , has proven quite useful.
    We were quoted 30k plus to make it in Phuket and managed to get one made to fit in Songkhla with 2 bench seats for 16k , and that included a tip of 1500 baht for the guys to rush it thru in 3 days. I would have preferred the stainless one , but they needed a week at least in time we didnt have ... and 8k more in materials.
    Its not used much anymore as it was at first when I had a guesthouse here for the 1st year , and then did some tours and buck shows in the following 2 years , but its quite surprising how little 'weather ' gets in there. Baking sun mostly ...Even in torrential rain and as long as youre moving forward the gear/people in the back only get slightly damp.
    I'd certainly put another one on , and in stainless , but I have noticed that you dont see any on new vehicles here in Phuket.
    About near 2 years back the central government announced that there was to be no more riding in the back of pickups ( yet another futile law ) and we went for rego shortly after and were given an unusually harder time.
    The cars papers were checked more thoroughly , particularly the injury/death inclusions for the back that we DO have on insurance ... but as we carry blue plates indicating we can carry six up back and the insurance was correct , we were deemed legal and have had no problems since.

Im just not sure if one can do that on a new ute anymore.

Mines a Hyundai SUV... horses for courses no bikes to lug around here.
    Mitsi and Ranger/Mazda come to mind in the 2.2l pickup dept there.

Speaking of "you beaut's"...my old Chev just got sold again and like when i parted with it hardly a mark anywhere on it and an extremely reliable run for the owner...

Quarky likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Hi chob yes i agree i have only used my 4wd very rarely so just having 2wd is ok by me less to worry about no transfer cases or electric shift extra diff ect . i was looking at a 2013 izuzu online and it is almost exactly the same as the one sold here as a 2017 model which i drive for work makes you wonder if they just changed the manufacturing plate ?

From what i can see you have to be a bit dilligent about buying a second hand vehicle there as some i have looked at are for sure ex farm vehicles and the way some engines are presented i wouldnt touch them with a barge pole ,is there any sort of independent inspection service like they have here in aus so you dont get taken as i know jack about diesels ,if i was to be in the position of buying a vehicle it would be a dual cab with a canopy , they are all around the same mark 20,000 to 23,000 for something you would call fair to good and one thing that i was surprised buy was the mileage on some its very low and others you wonder where they have been driving to , contenders would be mazda bt50 ,ford ranger ,toyota vigo , and izuzu dmax (maybe) .

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Crispy should be looking for a more practical car for Thailand such as this VW.......................

Love the Wehrmacht, Thailand certainly have a thing for the Nazi stuff.
    Last edited by Chilli; 9th March 2019 at 19:35.

Cadet Gold
    I thought it might have been a resteraunt in kamala beach's home delivery service vehicle , went and had a look online again today at toyota vigos , someo f the prices are a bit out there for the age of the vehicles and then you will get other dealers who have a fair price , also seems to be a lot of these in the same color a sort of silver grey must be ex government being so many of them or a private company changing its fleet .
    A nissan navara fairly late model caught my eye today ,i havent ever seen one in this color before it was a metalic brown very low miles and i think it was a 2017 model , good price as well but then that makes me think " whats wrong with it" when you have a 2012 model selling for the same as a 2017 model hmmmm "cavet emptor" springs to mind . this was another choice , the navara as a mate here has just bought a second hand one and seems pretty good but ive been told they dont have to many service centres in thailand for some reason being a rival to toyota you would think they would , as i said before some have low miles and some i think were travelling from one end of thailand to the other regularly but always good to look .

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast