Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Gazmac
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix

Thread: Phuket Elephant Sanctuary

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar

Phuket Elephant Sanctuary

I don't know how many know about this project.
    It's one that i have been following on Facebook over the last couple of months and intend to go visit in April whilst I am there.
    It's an offshoot of the one in Chiang Mai.
    Not Many Elephants there as yet , but then , the cost of buying them from the Ride Camps , medical and food wouldnt be cheap !
    It's basically a rescue sanctuary for older Elephants so that they can live out the rest of their lives as Elephants being Elephants . No rides or working etc .

I don't know about anyone else , I'm not an animal activist or anything close to it , but I have never been or wanted to ride one ! Love them , but just never want to get on ones back .

Phuket Elephant Sanctuary - Home
    Quarky and obes like this.
    !qq!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I'm with you Gaz, but I have been on an elephant's back three times in my life.
    Once was in the Nepalese jungle back in 1972, the other two were on my first visit to Phuket and then my first visit to Chiang Mai. In all cases the elephants appeared to have been treated well, although I do realize this is not always the case. It is an amazing feeling perched so high up on a magnificent animal who could crush you like a bug if it wanted to.
    I love the idea of looking after elephants that have reached the end of their working lives.

There's a lot more Eco type tourism nowadays where people pay to do things like wash the elephants, although I'm not sure I'd want to be swimming with the elephant poo...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I've also decided I want to do some worthwhile things while on my holidays.

It sounds corny but we are fortunate enough to be able to take all these holidays...
    I should set aside some time for charity type activities

Although being such an animal lover, I need to force myself to do some things for people also!

When I am in Costa Rica I will try and do a couple of charity type things....especially to show the kids
    Gazmac likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I'm always weary of these sort of places. Especially anything to do with tigers. This joint looks alright though.

There's a turtle sanctuary in Bali that does a good job as well. Every year they release a few thousand baby turtles into the sea after they've hatched. You can actually go there and participate yourself. Their survival rates are much better with people making sure they all at least get safely to the water, since so many of them either don't hatch, or get eaten as eggs or on the way to the sea.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I've watched that turtle hatchery thing in to a few times over the years.
    But Nature being what it is, it's a regular giant smorgasbord for just about anything that crawls flies or floats and most of the cute baby turtles get snapped up immediately. The few that survive however live for a hundred years so I guess it all works out for the best in the end.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Bacon , this one is half owned and run by the big sanctuary in Chiangmai Mai . There is also one near by that is trying to cash in on their name and does rides etc but says they are a refuge . Have taxi drivers on the payroll to hijack customers .
    !qq!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I went to a dog sanctuary in Costa Rica.........I made a concerted effort to go out of my way to go there because they were doing great things

I walked in and those motherfcukers wouldn't shut the fcuk up! I dropped off my money an left 555
    Gazmac likes this.