Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 2 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 3 Post By crispy

Thread: BKK Sidewalk food vendors going going...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar

BKK Sidewalk food vendors going going...

One of the things I really enjoy about Bangkok and Thailand is the street food vendors.

Roll out of bed, into the bathroom SSS and out the door for some soup to start the day.

Looks like these guys are going to be moved on or into designated precincts because the
    sidewalks need to be returned to the people.

Another article says there will be a reward for donning in mitosis on the sidewalk as well.
    That I can agree with... but the food vendors?

Food vendors fearful amid BMA move to sweep them away
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    This is really sad. They add such a great atmosphere to the place. The smells, the noise, the crowds they draw at night, etc etc. Terrible to see it all cleaned up and turned into another metropolitan dystopia lined up with McDonalds and Starbucks.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Don't mind them being moved from where there's no walking space. Plenty of room for them elsewhere
    Zablive likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Don't mind them being moved from where there's no walking space. Plenty of room for them elsewhere
    Exactly.

They cause a lot of congestion on main roads with ppl stopping to buy food and blocking traffic.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Moving the market venders was a big improvement near Suk Soi 5 to 11. I hated walking through that section in the evenings. Jammed packed and like being in an oven. It's far better now.

I hope they allow street food venders to continue though. It's part of the charm of Thailand for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    Moving the market venders was a big improvement near Suk Soi 5 to 11. I hated walking through that section in the evenings. Jammed packed and like being in an oven. It's far better now.

I hope they allow street food venders to continue though. It's part of the charm of Thailand for me.
    I actually liked walking through there because of all the market vendors... 55

You mean that back-alley link between 5 and 11? Actually it may not have made it to 11... can't remember now...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Exactly.

They cause a lot of congestion on main roads with ppl stopping to buy food and blocking traffic.
    That's never bothered me......sort of a mentality
    Like if it happened here in Vancouver I would be pissed but just part of Bangkok for me..........

Same as say NYC at rush hour after work...........That's just NYC to me
    Cuzzy likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I actually liked walking through there because of all the market vendors... 55

You mean that back-alley link between 5 and 11? Actually it may not have made it to 11... can't remember now...
    No I mean on the main Suk Rd under Nana station going up to the crossing opposite Soi 4. When it got jammed up I would walk behind the market stalls on to the road. Must easier.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Another good reason to stay away from Bangkok. I could guarantee that if the officials opened a section of the city specifically for street vendors, then the working public and tourists would abandon the NEW, CLEAN down town area and go to where the action is. The new area would grow the same way that Pattaya did in the 1990s. Tourists left the Soi Cowboy and Nana plaza area and went directly to Pattaya instead.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Another good reason to stay away from Bangkok. I could guarantee that if the officials opened a section of the city specifically for street vendors, then the working public and tourists would abandon the NEW, CLEAN down town area and go to where the action is. The new area would grow the same way that Pattaya did in the 1990s. Tourists left the Soi Cowboy and Nana plaza area and went directly to Pattaya instead.
    I doubt that...............people don't "go" to street food with the exception of a few famous stalls that are well known
    It is there, convenient.............in front of work, in front of your hotel

Also consider 95% of street food eaters are locals eating it in areas they live and work
    crispy and Cuzzy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I doubt that...............people don't "go" to street food with the exception of a few famous stalls that are well known
    It is there, convenient.............in front of work, in front of your hotel

Also consider 95% of street food eaters are locals eating it in areas they live and work
    Of course they don't. But, if an area is lively with other action then that attracts all the side businesses... like street vendors. Take away the street vendors and inexpensive food outlets and people will go elsewhere. Not everyone wants McDonalds or Starbucks.

When Pattaya was first developing it attracted food outlets and accommodation for those in the "party scene". Workers needed schools for their children, and hospitals for the sick and injured. That is how cities grow. Pattaya was based on the "party scene". To change it into something else will drive away the people who started it. Las Vegas is a good example in the USA. It morphed from a gambling center into a tourist trap for theater shows, with gambling as a side line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    No I mean on the main Suk Rd under Nana station going up to the crossing opposite Soi 4. When it got jammed up I would walk behind the market stalls on to the road. Must easier.
    Ah yes, I like that. If I am in a hurry, I cross to the other side of the Suk which is clear... if both sides were like that it could get annoying.. otherwise, I enjoy it... though on really hot evenings it can be tough...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet Gold
    I think it would be a shame if they suddenly moved to a central location ,i can see it from both sides where they congest the footpath and where vehicles stop for a pick up but that is part of thailand i think one of the things i found amazing about it .There are enough shopping malls with mc donalds in them kentucky fried ect but to get real thai food i think this is the place to go a street vendors cart ,after picking up the girl from work we would stop every couple of days at a guy who sold the best fried chicken ive tasted some sticky rice and sauce and theres dinner set and so easy on the way home .I think if this goes ahead in any major way thailand and bangkok will lose its flavour to a lot of tourists as this is what makes thailand so original .
    Quarky, Rockitt and Tingtong like this.

Cadet silver
    Yup.

Had a nice banana and nutella pancake not far from my hotel the last 2 evenings.

Then some tasty chicken at 3am last night walking back.

All part of the charm as they say.

Certainly a lot more McD/Starbucks (well it seems a lot more) etc in my Thai trip then i saw 4-5 years ago.

They wouldn't be hear if the consumer didn't want it mind :-(

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Last edited by Cuzzy; 22nd April 2017 at 02:30.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post

Next they will ban sexy ladies in Pattaya, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy. 555

This is Thailand.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    When there is no more "Street food" they hold a Street food festival.
    They even have them in our town. Chicken rice about $15.00

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post
    One of the things I really enjoy about Bangkok and Thailand is the street food vendors.

Roll out of bed, into the bathroom SSS and out the door for some soup to start the day.

Looks like these guys are going to be moved on or into designated precincts because the
    sidewalks need to be returned to the people.

Another article says there will be a reward for donning in mitosis on the sidewalk as well.
    That I can agree with... but the food vendors?

Food vendors fearful amid BMA move to sweep them away
    Don't worry. They will come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    This is really sad. They add such a great atmosphere to the place. The smells, the noise, the crowds they draw at night, etc etc. Terrible to see it all cleaned up and turned into another metropolitan dystopia lined up with McDonalds and Starbucks.
    Agreed, I seldom eat in bars/restaurants, I prefer street food as it is quick and tasty.

I only eat Thai food with the exception of eating a Subway as I had not eaten for a couple of days and needed something healthy, then I went back to eating street food at least twice a day.

I got used to seeing the same street food sellers and looked out for them as I knew it was good food.

They tried this with Pattaya street sellers but they just moved on when the authorities turned up, so pointless, but it wasn't the military dealing with them.