• 1 Post By Cashpoint
  • 1 Post By bacwaan
  • 1 Post By Minder
  • 2 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By peteman

Thread: Koh Chang

Koh Chang

Hi guys,

Has anyone spent any time on Koh Chang? I'm thinking of heading over land from Siem Reap to Koh Chang and spending a few nights there then heading onto Pattaya. I'm keen to get in a bit of island life on this trip.

Cheers Pete
    Food fishing and furballs

Koh Chang... I have lots of memories there... long time ago. But if I were to go there again, I would do things a bit different.

First, I would not drive there. At least not on to the island. I'd park my car and just get on the ferry on foot, and once I land on the island, rent a motorcycle there. After that, everything will be made up as I go.

Nothing fancy on the island... thinking about what to eat will be the main 'thing to do' for the entire day. In the morning, what am I going to eat... what am I going to eat for lunch... what am I going to have for dinner...

And definitely a large bag of weed.

Platinum
    I went there a few years ago. I had a fun time. I'll see if I can dig out the TR.

The best thing to do is read a website called "iamkohchang"

The island is split into East coast (almost deserted and very laid back and quiet) and West Coast (more built up and busy).

The main beaches run from the top (North) of the West Coast with White Sands the most lively area with a section of bars called "Little Pattaya" It is very little!

As you go South it gets a bit more laid back and "back packery".

It gets wet in the wet season (and the wet season is May to September).
    bacwaan and peteman like this.

Cadet
    Yes it's very nice place. Good food, waterfall at khlong phrao and you can do a snorkelling trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    I went there a few years ago. I had a fun time. I'll see if I can dig out the TR.

The best thing to do is read a website called "iamkohchang"

The island is split into East coast (almost deserted and very laid back and quiet) and West Coast (more built up and busy).

The main beaches run from the top (North) of the West Coast with White Sands the most lively area with a section of bars called "Little Pattaya" It is very little!

As you go South it gets a bit more laid back and "back packery".

It gets wet in the wet season (and the wet season is May to September).
    Yeah i stumbled across that site today. Heaps of good info on there. Is there any p4p over there? As far as GF hotels I'll have to start emailing them to check.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by peteman View Post
    Yeah i stumbled across that site today. Heaps of good info on there. Is there any p4p over there? As far as GF hotels I'll have to start emailing them to check.
    Not much. Nothing like Pattaya. More for couples. There's a couple of bars. Maybe more. Havent been for a while.
    Bacon likes this.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    welcome to the board Billfly !
    Bacon likes this.
    !qq!

Platinum
    Yes there is P4P but it is not a P4P destination - most people recommend bringing someone from Pattaya. It's a bit difficult to describe but it is the sort of the place where you go to have a good time and if you meet someone then even better. But you would not go there with the specific intention of finding someone.

The resorts down the West Coast all have their own vibe. I stayed in Paddy's Palms which is inland from White Sands II I seem to remember. It's OK but I would probably go down further South to a beach bungalow resort next time. Lonely beach looked nice (but a bit hippyish).

And I had such a good time (with the girl I took - Bee) that I came back to see her and take her down to Koh Samui.

Which all went tits up! And then I compounded the mistake by looking for sympathy on this board!
    Tingtong likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I haven't been to KC for some time so I am loathe to offer any definitive answer however White Sands, Kai Bae and Lonely Beaches all have what I would describe as a reasonable nightlife...some bars with gals in them and some party spots...iirc there is even a FL disco in White Sands...

If you are after a gal I'd reckon you should be able to find one...but its not like you will be swamped by choice (as in Pattaya or Patong)...

KC has a nice vibe to it and has plenty to see and do for a few days relaxing holiday
    peteman likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Had a good time there a few years ago ... we stayed further down the coast from White Sands at the Chai Chet resort at Klong Prao beach ... even around there you could find a beer bar or two so P4P does exist (TIT 555)

https://www.agoda.com/chai-chet-reso...h.html?cid=-96

Songtaew travel was cheap and I hired a motor bike for a couple of hundred baht a day using my PADI dive card for ID

very laid back kind of place....

KC_ 009.jpgKC_ 031.jpgKC_ 274.jpg

KC_ 199.jpgKC_ 142.jpg
    Tingtong likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    Yes there is P4P but it is not a P4P destination - most people recommend bringing someone from Pattaya. It's a bit difficult to describe but it is the sort of the place where you go to have a good time and if you meet someone then even better. But you would not go there with the specific intention of finding someone.

The resorts down the West Coast all have their own vibe. I stayed in Paddy's Palms which is inland from White Sands II I seem to remember. It's OK but I would probably go down further South to a beach bungalow resort next time. Lonely beach looked nice (but a bit hippyish).

And I had such a good time (with the girl I took - Bee) that I came back to see her and take her down to Koh Samui.

Which all went tits up! And then I compounded the mistake by looking for sympathy on this board!
    That was my impression also. I only made it work because I rented a scooter and was able to travel around. I HATE being stuck in one resort for any more than a couple of days. It is a pretty big island and you can't really walk from one destination to another, but great to explore if you have your own transportation.

Tingtong and peteman like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    welcome to the board Billfly !
    I've already PMed but again, welcome to TD mate.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

[QUOTE=Ian Forbes;324830]That was my impression also. I only made it work because I rented a scooter and was able to travel around. I HATE being stuck in one resort for any more than a couple of days. It is a pretty big island and you can't really walk from one destination to another, but great to explore if you have your own transportation.

Looks pretty nice to me! I'm definitely my one to sit around a resort by the pool that's for sure and always hire a scooter when in LOS though I've read that there's been a crackdown on people riding without international licenses? I'd wonder if that would be enforced on an Island?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Ive heard mixed reviews about Koh Chang over the years but this thread makes it sound like it might be a good place to go to..
    How long from BKK or Pataya is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Ive heard mixed reviews about Koh Chang over the years but this thread makes it sound like it might be a good place to go to..
    How long from BKK or Pataya is it ?
    Google says 4-5hrs from Patts
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    That is about right, but quicker if you have your own motorcycle.

Cadet
    Closer. 4 to 5 hours from Bangkok to pier for Chang

I'll be coming overland from Siem Reap via taxi. Looking at spending 3-4 nights on Chang then another taxi onwards to Patts. At this stage looking at staying on White Sand beach (thanks Bacwaan) possibly at the Banpu. Seems nice and found on another page that it's GF which is a prerequisite. Rooms are a bit dated but it's right on the beach.