Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eamon2

Thread: Favourite Place In The North East Of Thailand

Favourite Place In The North East Of Thailand

For those of you familiar with the North-East region of Thailand (Phak Isaan)
    which is your favourite place in the region and tell us what you like about it.

Some people call this region the real Thailand in terms of the people and culture, but it's of course seldom on a tourists itinerary. Love to know the places you fell in love with in the region and why the region is held so dear to you.

So often the talk is of the main areas in Thailand, but now it is the turn of the North-East region.

Visited Udon Thani, Nong Kai and Khon Kaen, last year.
    NK is small and has a certain charm around the Mekong riverfront market area and Pantawee(?) Hotel, restaurant and bars is very pleasant. A jump-off point for Laos, otherwise not very interesting.
    UT, just another city ... no comparison to say, Chiang Mai.
    KK was my pick of the 3, mainly for excellent cheap accommodation and food. [Refer PI]. KK city has far more attractions than the others (above) and worthy of a future visit.
    Isaan is beautiful region, people are helpful, traffic slower - I like it and hope to see more soon.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Thanks for that Kaptainrob very useful information. I too would like to visit Khon Kaen having never done so. I have only been to Korat and Buriram in the North East, but like you I found a certain charm about the people and the area.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Have to say Sri Chi Chang Mai (not Chang Mai) This is my GF's village which is close to Nong Khai... It's nothing special just have to call it my 2nd home!

If you get to KK check current rates & specials at RACHAWADEE RESORT & HOTEL - KHON KAEN, THAILAND - adjacent the airport, set on acres of manicured grounds and tropical gardens, Jo and I stayed here for 880 baht per night* incl. B/fast. Rachawadee is just 10 minutes out of the city, it's quiet and with 5-star amenities, one of THE BEST hotels I have ever stayed in, regardless of price.

*Note: Special = 950 bt as of posting.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Roi Et province I found nice. Pretty flat. But such a nice relaxed feel... sorta reminded me of some parts of rural NZ...

Roi Et City was much more Western than I expected.. with the big stores (Tesco etc). I felt like I could have been in a suburb of Bangkok... except it was less busy... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Cadet silver Eamon2's Avatar
    Well I sorta fell in love with Bang Dung or the villages outside it. Couple of reasons, so relaxed, quiet and my phone had no reception. I reckon it is about time we got back to basics and forget being on call 24 hours a day.
    I just loved the speed of the place, or not. 5555 Trying to figure out though if I could stay for an extended period in such a quiet place and just basically do nothing all day.
    I reckon I would have to do something eventually as i would just go stir crazy. <ind you I have always fancied myself as a bit of a gardener, so maybe vegetable plot owner, tending the vegies all day. 555555 Wonder could I make enough to survive with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon2 View Post
    Well I sorta fell in love with Bang Dung or the villages outside it. Couple of reasons, so relaxed, quiet and my phone had no reception. I reckon it is about time we got back to basics and forget being on call 24 hours a day.
    I just loved the speed of the place, or not. 5555 Trying to figure out though if I could stay for an extended period in such a quiet place and just basically do nothing all day.
    I reckon I would have to do something eventually as i would just go stir crazy. <ind you I have always fancied myself as a bit of a gardener, so maybe vegetable plot owner, tending the vegies all day. 555555 Wonder could I make enough to survive with that.
    I agree it does feel nice... my only thoughts are those endless days of rain in the monsoon season... no chance of gardening... but I guess you can fish in the rice paddy fields.. 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Thanks again Kaptainrob for the hotel advice it has been noted.

Have any of you here read the book called
    ''Blundering around Isaan'' by Peter Jaggs. It is about a chap who goes to spend some time in Thailand, but gets in the usual
    trouble with the Pattaya jet skis and they being the jet ski owner and the police take a load of money off of him to pay for it all.
    He meets a young lady at the bar whilst sat there with sad face and to cut a long story short he moves with her to a remote village in Isaan,
    because of having very little money left, but lots of time. He ends up daily doing all these things like vegetable growing, fishing, cooking and 25 years
    later he is still there. Not a long book, but a cracking read. I think you would all enjoy it or maybe you have read it already.

Just starting to read it on line now. Looks very interesting, well the first 20 pages anyway.

Hope this link works for anyone interested.

Blundering around Isaan - Google Books
    Quarky likes this.

Just got to page 43 and that is it on Google books, must buy it for the rest. Now have to find out where to get it.

A great read ... but who nicked 150 pages from Google??? You can buy it via Bangkokbooks.com and I'm fairly sure I saw it at HKT, in the domestic food/shops departure area.
    Cheers, Rob.

A real quality author on affairs the North-East of Thailand is author Pira Sudham, the novel Monsoon Country earned him nomination for the nobel prize for literature.
    His work is well worth investigating for those looking for a greater understanding of the Isaan region

bookideas.com: Monsoon Country by Pira Sudham

Well I have purchased and downloaded the full version of Blundering around Isaan and I must say it is great so far.

Makes me wanna go there again. LOL

Does it make you want to go and chop down a Mango tree?
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Does it make you want to go and chop down a Mango tree?
    As long as there are no chicken pens around LOL

david j crow
    Its so good to hear so many positive comments on Isaan. My Favourite drive is from Mukdahan on the Mekong travelling north beside the river visiting villages all the way to Nong Kai. I often take Guests from The Guesthouse (Thai House). We start at ten am and stop at Nakhon Phanom for lunch, sometimes stopping over for the night. Some great spots to eat at, (my favourite pastime). Next day a slow drive up to Nong Kai. The tours we offer are on my website Welcome - Guesthouse In Thailand it takes a little time to open.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by david j crow View Post
    Its so good to hear so many positive comments on Isaan. My Favourite drive is from Mukdahan on the Mekong travelling north beside the river visiting villages all the way to Nong Kai. I often take Guests from The Guesthouse (Thai House). We start at ten am and stop at Nakhon Phanom for lunch, sometimes stopping over for the night. Some great spots to eat at, (my favourite pastime). Next day a slow drive up to Nong Kai. The tours we offer are on my website Welcome - Guesthouse In Thailand it takes a little time to open.
    Opened really fast for me, David. Isan looks fascinating, but I'm going to have to wait until a future trip before I can venture into the North East. If all goes well on this trip, I'll be back for trip #3 in about a year, and hope to tour Isan then as part of a holiday that will last between 4-6 weeks. Also need to visit Pattaya, Koh Sumai, Hua Hin, and loads of other spots.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]