Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Common misconceptions about Thailand

Common misconceptions about Thailand

We often hear people denigrating countries other than their own home; an unfair bias of their own iteration?

European tourists complaining about poverty or food hygiene in Thailand, for example, are naive and have a poor understanding of Asian culture. The truth is that Thailand, an ancient and unique culture, is in many ways well insulated from Western 'nanny-state' societal problems. This is changing fast and not necessarily for the best.

Read thru the links below and discuss ....

From >http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/10-m...t-thailand.htm<

Planning a trip halfway across the world to Thailand may seem daunting at first. It’s an exotic land, full of new culture and customs that you’re just not used to. The truth is, however, plenty of things you’ve read or heard about Thailand are probably not true.
    From paranoia over ice cubes, to outdated prejudices portraying Bangkok as just a big city of sins, we set the record straight by dispelling these 10 myths about Thailand.
    From >http://www.atishayjain.info/2016/10/...-thailand.html<

Here are the Top 10 myths about Thailand:-

1. All the women standing on the corners, walking on the streets or doing Thai massage are sex workers.
    2. Thailand is a poor or a cheap country to visit.
    3. All Thai people understands English but show that they don't understand.
    4. Most of the male tourists comes only for sex.
    5. Thai Food is only non-vegetarian.
    6. You can bargain on street shopping.
    7. Pattaya is the most famous place to visit in Thailand.
    8. Monsoon season is the worst time to visit Thailand.
    9. Thailand is not the best place to visit with Family, Kids or with wife.
    10. All Pole dancers are sex workers
    Last edited by kaptainrob; 4th May 2017 at 21:34.
    GGrass likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Yer KR, a lot of contradictions there. Not sure where this will go but you certainly put it out there.
    I for one love that Thailand is so far removed from the Australian way.

As a nation, I do believe they need to lift there game as far as pollution goes, like protecting their water reserves and stopping fracking, cutting down on the wholesale waste of plastics arrr I could go on.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I've only heard about 3 of those myths

Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Yer KR, a lot of contradictions there. Not sure where this will go but you certainly put it out there.
    I for one love that Thailand is so far removed from the Australian way.

As a nation, I do believe they need to lift there game as far as pollution goes, like protecting their water reserves and stopping fracking, cutting down on the wholesale waste of plastics arrr I could go on.
    It's a large nation of rivers with centuries of land misuse and poor waste disposal ~50 years behind many countries yet Thai's excel at re-cycling. Plastics in particular.

Water supply is a problem slowly being addressed, too slow. Fracking, in Thailand?

Re packaging waste, we often deny that EXTRA (and separate) plastic bag for an item when shopping although Rimping supermarkets use enviro-friendly bags. The ones which disintegrate within months.

But the excess of packaging annoys. Eg: 4 bars of Imperial Leather soap come individually wrapped in cellophane, then a cardboard sheath and finally a cellophane outer. All for 40bt worth of soap ... not to mention the label on each bar ...
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Excess in packaging is a world wide problem, have to make the product more desirable than it's actual function. I could find some stats on gas exploration in Thailand but you can do that easy enough.

I sat beside a young Thai girl on my last trip back from Bangkok, a Uni student at UQ doing a degree in Environmental Science. This was probably the first time I have had a meaningful discussion with a Thai on the subject of sustainability. Some of the locals are thinking, at least.

She was pretty hot too.
    Rockitt and Cuzzy like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    "a rip off joint/a place full of thieves"...

I leave my belongings on a chair covered by my towel at the beach every day to go and swim....never has anyone touched any of my posessions or lifted my sunglasses or phone from the table when i have forgotten to put them under my clothes

I have had kids chase me up the street with my wallet and or money when I have dropped it and also BGs chase after me with my phone (admitedly its a 1K hunkajunk) when I have left it on a bar

I trust my posessions to be left alone way more in Thailand than I would in AUS/NZ

Number 1 is why I keep coming back... who cares if it's a myth... it's the thought it might be true that makes it so appealing...
    chiefbrody likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

I did have about 18000 stolen from my room by the cleaner many years ago in Patong. My fault, I hid the money under the bed, around 70000 baht. I was only away for 15 minutes, she took what she needed. The thieving bitch turned up wearing a new one baht chain around her neck the next day.
    Wasp cnut.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    I did have about 18000 stolen from my room by the cleaner many years ago in Patong. My fault, I hid the money under the bed, around 70000 baht. I was only away for 15 minutes, she took what she needed. The thieving bitch turned up wearing a new one baht chain around her neck the next day.
    Wasp cnut.
    Thai tax? 555

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    "a rip off joint/a place full of thieves"...

I leave my belongings on a chair covered by my towel at the beach every day to go and swim....never has anyone touched any of my posessions or lifted my sunglasses or phone from the table when i have forgotten to put them under my clothes

I have had kids chase me up the street with my wallet and or money when I have dropped it and also BGs chase after me with my phone (admitedly its a 1K hunkajunk) when I have left it on a bar

I trust my posessions to be left alone way more in Thailand than I would in AUS/NZ
    Same here, we usually leave the car unlocked and often the house wide open, though not always by design.

Only heard of one B&E, actually an outright theft, and it was by Korean tenants of the mooban developers own house. They did a midnight flit complete with trucks loaded with his antique teak furniture. Much loss of face by Khun Chevalit who immediately sacked all security staff.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    All big cities in every country, and the obvious tourist traps, attract the unsavory people of the world. That is a given. Desperately poor people everywhere will occasionally steal what they need to survive.

However, those are just generalities. It's been my experience that the good far outweighs the bad. Thailand is basically a Buddhist country and most of the Thai people follow the basic philosophies of Buddhism... the main one being that if you are good in this life time then your next life will be better. That is much different than Christianity which teaches being good, but few people practise it. The difference between Thailand and the Catholic countries such as the Philippines or those in South America, is like night and day.

I spend a lot of time in rural areas of Thailand. The various moobans all have their family problems, of which gambling and drinking to excess is one, but by and large the people are sweet and very giving. Off the top of my head I can think of 20 or 30 times that I've been helped by rural people who turned down any sort of payment. Have I been taken advantage of a few times? Sure, but never to excess, and usually because the people really were desperate.

I've run into female pickpockets in Pattaya and the seedy parts of Bangkok, and I've seen male con artists in Chiang Mai... but those are tourist centers that attract the lower class of local Thai citizens of whom many are living in poverty. In many ways I can't really blame them. But, in those same locations I've met FAR more really bad tourists who treat the local Thais like scum.

Not all women working in bars in Thailand are prostitutes. I know many who won't go with customers. They only work for drinks, or just serve customers like a waitress serves a meal. Sure, if they meet a customer and form a friendship then they might start a relationship that leads to sex, but the initial meeting is not about having sex. That is no different than western countries. However, it's been my experience that Thai women are not backward if they really like a man.

Garbage is a problem in all cities and most of it has been a relatively new problem introduced by western countries who package everything in plastic. 50 years ago, Thailand wrapped much of their food items in banana leaves. They didn't have the 7-11 on every corner and the American fast food outlets like McDonalds. I see bottle collectors coming by our hotel every day and sifting through the garbage.

Thailand can be expensive if you like imported items, but stuff made locally is usually a reasonable price. Places like Robinsons in all the malls are expensive.

Accommodation can be inexpensive or very expensive depending on where you look and what you want.

I can rattle on and on, but everyone here knows the score.

Cadet
    8 low season is the best time to visit. Cheap hotels, cheaper tours, less tourists and it hardly rains in the day anyway.
    Bacon likes this.

Cadet
    6 you can bargain on street shopping?

What does that mean?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyfly View Post
    8 low season is the best time to visit. Cheap hotels, cheaper tours, less tourists and it hardly rains in the day anyway.
    Yep, I always try and visit during the low season for the same reasons.

What does that mean?
    It's true you can bargain, but most tourists wouldn't really know how to. At the most they manage to bring the price down to what the seller was hoping to get in the first place.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    It's true you can bargain, but most tourists wouldn't really know how to. At the most they manage to bring the price down to what the seller was hoping to get in the first place.
    Maybe I'm just an odd person, but I want Thai merchants to earn a reasonable living. I have a pretty good idea of the price of everything that I am interested in. I know how much a good shirt costs in Canada, or a pair of running shoes, or some electronic item. If an item is priced reasonably then I won't bother bartering for a few baht saving. I'll barter a 350 baht item down to 300 baht and everyone is happy. I know the shop keeper could probably sell the same item for 200 baht and still make a profit, but why bother? I would rather the extra 100 baht was in her pocket than mine. If I'm happy with the price then that should be all that matters. I won't buy anything at Robinsons in Thailand because all their stuff is over priced by similar goods elsewhere. I'm not going to buy something in Thailand than I can purchase cheaper in Canada at Wallmart or Thriftys.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Most stall holders mark up the prices hoping people will pays what's asked , I usually start by offering 1/3 and judge the reaction

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

high season for me ,mostly to do with the weather at home , but I really don't want rain whilst on holiday if I can avoid it

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

What does that mean?
    Means its a Western thing.. Thai don't bargain on a Thai market, no point..

In a tourist market everyone knows that falang will want to bargain, so the price is upped to accommodate these stupid pink creatures.. 555
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Means its a Western thing.. Thai don't bargain on a Thai market, no point..

In a tourist market everyone knows that falang will want to bargain, so the price is upped to accommodate these stupid pink creatures.. 555
    I've seen Thai bargain many times at markets
    They don't make a game of it like a lot of is do(I don't like to bargain but like to have fun with it) but they will tell the vendor a price is too high and usually starts a negotiation

In Laos, Ao(who sucks at bargaining) was always bargaining with the ladies.......but they knew she was Thai and treated her more like a tourist
    "What can you pay, Madam?"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    high season for me ,mostly to do with the weather at home , but I really don't want rain whilst on holiday if I can avoid it
    I went November last time...........we usually go in April for Songkran but it would be hard to get me back at that time again
    The weather is just so much less hot in November than March/April

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast