Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Universities in Thailand (and Military University)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    Depends does MarcTwoSix seek gratitude from them? I believe its better to give without expectation of reward, otherwise one is giving to reward oneself.

Who is to decide on what the opportunity is? its seems from the post I quoted that the opportunity comes with the expectation off gratitude or to do something with the opportunity to put is more simply.

Is it really a free choice for them?

Why the expectation to be awarded with their achievements?
    So would you sponsor a non-biological teenager through University without any expectation of them achieving?
    You're a sucker if you think so.
    Can I sell you a bar?
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    So would you sponsor a non-biological teenager through University without any expectation of them achieving?
    Can I sell you a bar?
    Yes I would, doesn't make me a sucker, the choice to put them through university is an act of giving not of self satisfaction as you see it.

Depends does MarcTwoSix seek gratitude from them? I believe its better to give without expectation of reward, otherwise one is giving to reward oneself.

Who is to decide on what the opportunity is? its seems from the post I quoted that the opportunity comes with the expectation off gratitude or to do something with the opportunity to put is more simply.

I agree with the part in bold... and knowing M26 I suspect he doesn't seek gratitude... rather he would want them to appreciate the opportunity they have been given... and to make the most of it.... without necessarily showing any sense of obligation...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Well you want your kids, any kids, to take an opportunity and do the best with it, no?

It's not a "you have to do this"
    As you said, it's up to them
    It's more of a hope than expecting any sort of demand

And knowing the two kids.....
    I HAVE to pay for stepson and what he does is going to be totally up in the air, IMO

My niece will do extremely well, she's just one of those kids......so I want to do that for her

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I agree with the part in bold... and knowing M26 I suspect he doesn't seek gratitude... rather he would want them to appreciate the opportunity they have been given... and to make the most of it.... without necessarily showing any sense of obligation...
    Exactly, they don't have to appreciate me doing it for them, but I hope they appreciate the opportunity
    Rivo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Can I sell you a bar?
    Well say I paid for school and they were being fxukheads in school.....I'd stop paying
    So I guess that's the expectation

But I understand what everyone is saying and everyone makes good points

Rivo was basically saying the reward is them going on and doing well

And Phaisan's point was correct that I should do it without expecting any thanks and I don't

And you are correct that I'm not going to just keep paying if they fcuk around and not do well

By the way

This brings up a pretty touchy subject

I pay for Noon and there is 9 others behind her

But I am doing this because she has literally been the best student from her 1st days in school

But also because it's always been Noon and Nut

And I told that to Ao

When choosing

Chulalongkorn University, the best University in Thailand
    what will she be studying?

Different universities have different strengths, specific fields of study on offer

Just guessing, but being Thailand, any 'special' entry fees involved ... not the fees, but the unofficial ones

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    When choosing

what will she be studying?

Different universities have different strengths, specific fields of study on offer

Just guessing, but being Thailand, any 'special' entry fees involved ... not the fees, but the unofficial ones
    She wants to study medicine

I don't think Chulalongkorn is like that with bribes....from what I've been told by a lot of people, it's the best University in Thailand

She has to take an entrance exam to see if she gets admitted
    Hatari likes this.

By the way, I should tell you the back story about our niece, and part of the reason I should be paying for her University(but not the only reason)

My wife was born in Petchaburi near Cha Am, where her mom is from
    When she was 10-11yrs old, they moved to Suphan Buri to her father's side and my wife is closest to her father's relatives

Her father has two sister's.......Moi and Gay
    They both worked in Patong a long time ago when Ao was young
    Gay met an older Swiss guy, Moi didn't really like the bar scene and went back home

So Gay was the breadwinner and although she did take care of her family.........she is an evil witch, just a really bad person who has lorded over the family for years
    She had a 4mil mansion in the village, she had a condo in Hua Hin
    Once the older guy was ready to retire and move to Thailand she divorced him.......she ended up with a good chunk of change that she gambled away

But the one person she lords over the most, is her sister Moi...........who is a great person, and my wife absolutely loves to death
    It was like a Cinderalla situation where Gay treated Moi like her slave and since Moi basically lived off Moi for ever(she gave her her old house from a previous bf) Moi felt obliged

So in recent years, she basically kidnapped our niece Noon............literally just took her from Moi and moved her away and Moi was too afraid to protest
    And she really is a horrible person so she just wasn't doing anything right for Noon

So my wife has put in a ton of effort to get Noon away from Gay, without causing too much friction
    So she has gone out of her way to drive and get Noon and bring her to Bangkok to stay with them anytime she had school breaks and just has been a source of advice for Noon as she got older

Basically she has tried hard to get Noon under her "umbrella" and away from Gay and she has basically accomplished that without too much friction with Gay

So it's just natural we would make sure she can go to the university she wants without worrying about paying for it

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    ^^ You should really change the names in this story...

Dislike the gay person and love moi (=pubic hair in Thai).. 55

Yes I would, doesn't make me a sucker, the choice to put them through university is an act of giving not of self satisfaction as you see it.
    Try the middle path, Phaisan...

If there are no expectations kids can easily become spoiled and feel entitled..
    Too much expectations or self fulfilling expectations can make it self serving, I agree..

But there is a lot of space in between, and expecting kids to perform to the best of their abilities is not any less selfless, it just helping them getting the best out of themselves..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Try the middle path, Phaisan...

If there are no expectations kids can easily become spoiled and feel entitled..
    Too much expectations or self fulfilling expectations can make it self serving, I agree..

But there is a lot of space in between, and expecting kids to perform to the best of their abilities is not any less selfless, it just helping them getting the best out of themselves..
    I don't think Phaisan meant you shouldn't expect them to do well..........he just meant you shouldn't expect any accolades and I agree with him

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I don't think Phaisan meant you shouldn't expect them to do well..........he just meant you shouldn't expect any accolades and I agree with him
    Yeah, I think we all agree, but Phaisan likes to stir up people, especially Baz...

And Thanks for my English word of the day!

For me, accolade means this: {
    I like the word because we have no word with similar meaning...

Does not beat last weeks word though, which was "palimpsest".. Anyone actually use that word?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I don't see anything wrong with trying to help someone who is not your blood kin. I would rather help some stranger who needs and appreciates the help than a blood relative who abuses the help and takes it as an entitlement. I've got a younger brother who never appreciated the help that I gave him and the opportunities he would not have had, had I not helped him. I think he resents it today because he can't fool me. Without going into detail that I've mentioned before, I've helped a number of families in Thailand. I'm still helping the young man that I've helped since he was 5 years old and is now 20. He does not abuse my generosity, but most young Thais from poor backgrounds need some help to get started.

Most certainly many of us get taken as suckers, but that does not change the fact that they need the help. Once they abuse the trust then it is their loss and they get cut off. At least for a while they had the opportunity to succeed.

I certainly don't do it for a pat on the back. Just the occasional look of joy is enough reward for me. I never gamble more than I can afford to lose.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar

Does not beat last weeks word though, which was "palimpsest".. Anyone actually use that word?
    yes....Gore Vidal...he named his autobiography Palimpsest...bloody good read too...he is an intersting character

here's one for the next time you are having discourse with Khun Phaisan Rak....

querulous....555
    Last edited by bacwaan; 22nd September 2017 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    here's one for the next time you are having discourse with Khun Pahaisan Rak....

querulous....555
    Just mastered "petulant", is there a difference?
    bacwaan likes this.

Just mastered "petulant", is there a difference?
    petulant is the childish version of "querulous"....555
    Ian Forbes, RakThai and MarcTwoSix like this.

^^ You should really change the names in this story...

Dislike the gay person and love moi (=pubic hair in Thai).. 55
    Depends on the tone used…. I have met more than one Moi.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast