Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Universities in Thailand (and Military University)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Universities in Thailand (and Military University)

I am blown away my stepson Nut is in his 2nd of 3 years in high school
    Time absolutely flies with kids.....which I am sure I don't need to tell that to most BM'a on here.

Talking to Ao about University.
    I'd prefer he come to Canada for university but if she/him want to go to university in Thailand I'd like to know more about it.

I've read a lot online but good to get info from some guys on here if they know anything.

1st, money won't be an issue. I've known for quite some time that I'd be finding his university and it's truly something I'm happy to do and prepared to pay as if I was sending my kid to University in the US

But, as I told Ao, money isn't an issue but I'd prefer to pay zero! 555

So what are the good universities? Mahidol? Chulalongkorn?
    What's a good private? What's the best public university?
    Costs if you know?

Ao was mentioning that she wants him to take the test for the military university. As she says, and is correct, he's really smart but "so slow" which she means he's a bit ho-hum in everything he does.
    Basically she'd love the discipline it would bring.
    I have told her that although she can share her opinions with him she also has to listen to what he wants also.

Anyways, thanks for any help if anyone has any info.

I honestly can't believe we discussing University for him.

And my niece Noon next year! She will likely go to school in Bangkok and live with Ao and my MIL.....which is great

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I'm no expert on Thai university's but if its like most other Asian country's the degrees are not really reconised in western country's and if he ever wants to work abroad will need to resit a year or so in what ever country he wants to work. That's what a lot of those Asian students are doing you see and we talk about.

If this is the case with Thai university's and I'm 99.9 percent sure it will be, much better to do it in Canada as you said.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Like every university decision it should be based on what he is good at and what carrer path he wants to take...universities differ by subject/degrees...one which is highly regarded for a B.A. may be well down the list for a B.Com for example...

Top Universities in Thailand | 2017 Thai University Ranking

I see that Stamford had a campus in BKK these days...may well be worth investigating if he could come away with a worthwhile degree which is widely excepted in both Thailand and internationally

http://www.stamford.edu/

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I see that Stamford had a campus in BKK these days...may well be worth investigating if he could come away with a worthwhile degree which is widely excepted in both Thailand and internationally

Nels you sure it is recognised internationally?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    A necessary part of life if he wants a decent government job. Say teacher or above. Most teachers will also now need a masters in a subject for high school.

I have only had dealings with Khon Kaen and Si Saket universities. As a guest speaker for engineering and Vet science that crossed with those doing agriculture. The facilities at Si Saket is poor and reminded me of a high school camp at best.

However Khon Kean campus has many facilities and faculties. I was impressed with the level there and the qualifications of those teaching. Mind you most had qualifications from OS. Most were female that came back (just an observation not a judgment).

Cost we have helped many family members through to Maters level. Dao looked after that so I don't know but not more than 30K TBH per month for education of two at a time and that covered living on campus for most with support for their families also.

Military I have no experience with but, it would stand to reason that he would have to give service afterward. Better to be an officer than a conscripted grunt (general admission).

Best scenario would be educated in Canada ....that will get harder with every year that passes. Recent trip back was with 15+ Thai students from here in Brisbane on the plane. All were medicine and Vet science. Smart kids well educated to a point. Talking to them the culture and Language were hardest to over come (all fluent in English) . That said I spent time in Austria and Germany for PhD and it was hard but well worth it for the contacts and relationships I have.

I applaud you for wanting the best for your stepson. You must also consider if he is not up to it, no matter what you through at it money wise or enforce discipline. If he has no thirst to learn in his make up for what ever reason it will be an exercise that may be disappointing. But we do these things. I would still love to play music for a living. 555
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Yes it will be. But the stigma may not.
    Last edited by jontymate; 26th May 2017 at 19:25.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I haven't made a proper investigation into it....I assumed it was an umbrella university of Stamford in the USA... which is an internationaly recognised university
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Yes it will be. But the stigma may not.
    I haven't made a proper investigation into it....I assumed it was an umbrella university of Stamford in the USA... which is an internationaly recognised university
    I just see lots of students in Perth University's doing the bridging coarse to bring them up to Aust standards. My wife and lots of her friends have done this over the past year or so and there University degree back home helped but still wasn't recognised. Students are Thai, Filipino, Indian and from China.

Maybe I'm missing something.

It's Stanford in the US not Stamford that they have in BKK
    Quarky likes this.

A necessary part of life if he wants a decent government job. Say teacher or above. Most teachers will also now need a masters in a subject for high school.

I have only had dealings with Khon Kaen and Si Saket universities. As a guest speaker for engineering and Vet science that crossed with those doing agriculture. The facilities at Si Saket is poor and reminded me of a high school camp at best.

However Khon Kean campus has many facilities and faculties. I was impressed with the level there and the qualifications of those teaching. Mind you most had qualifications from OS. Most were female that came back (just an observation not a judgment).

Cost we have helped many family members through to Maters level. Dao looked after that so I don't know but not more than 30K TBH per month for education of two at a time and that covered living on campus for most with support for their families also.

Military I have no experience with but, it would stand to reason that he would have to give service afterward. Better to be an officer than a conscripted grunt (general admission).

Best scenario would be educated in Canada ....that will get harder with every year that passes. Recent trip back was with 15+ Thai students from here in Brisbane on the plane. All were medicine and Vet science. Smart kids well educated to a point. Talking to them the culture and Language were hardest to over come (all fluent in English) . That said I spent time in Austria and Germany for PhD and it was hard but well worth it for the contacts and relationships I have.

I applaud you for wanting the best for your stepson. You must also consider if he is not up to it, no matter what you through at it money wise or enforce discipline. If he has no thirst to learn in his make up for what ever reason it will be an exercise that may be disappointing. But we do these things. I would still love to play music for a living. 555
    He is very smart kid. Not exceptional but is usually in the top tier of his schools, which all have been pretty decent schools.

As for Canada, my plan would be English school for a year, community college for 2 years matriculating into a 4 year school
    I think that would be the best for him

Like every university decision it should be based on what he is good at and what carrer path he wants to take...universities differ by subject/degrees...one which is highly regarded for a B.A. may be well down the list for a B.Com for example...

Top Universities in Thailand | 2017 Thai University Ranking
    That is what I found on my research
    The Universities seem very centric unlike the US where you can enter and not declare a major until your 3rd year while taking electives towards your degree
    I prefer that because a lot of kids don't know what they want to do at 18yrs old.

My niece Noon is a perfect example. Unlike Nut, she is exceptional. But she is trying to choose what she wants to do at 18yrs old and deciding between wildly different careers of being a doctor or engineer or something else totally different

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    555............that didn't even click..and I have been to that campus...555

Just for context

This is Nut and Noon
    They are now 18yrs and 17yrs old

I think they about 7-8yrs old now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Correct….. the two institutions are not related, though no doubt Stamford in Thailand would like the less observant to think they are.

Universities in Thailand are hotbeds of uniformity and conformity, where loyalty to the institution and nationalism is expected, self-discipline is obeying the rules, independent thinking is not encouraged and critical thinking is to agree with those in authority. They are little more than vocational colleges which award degrees. Students are called "dek", which translates as "children"; by and large, that is how they are treated. To be sure the odd one does break the mould, but they are few and far between.

A necessary part of life if he wants a decent government job.
    Last edited by Mick; 27th May 2017 at 12:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Correct….. the two institutions are not related, though no doubt Stamford in Thailand would like the less observant to think they are.

Universities in Thailand are hotbeds of uniformity and conformity, where loyalty to the institution and nationalism is expected, self-discipline is obeying the rules, independent thinking is not encouraged and critical thinking is to agree with those in authority. They ware little more than vocational colleges which award degrees. Students are called "dek", which translates as children; by and large, that is how they are treated. To be sure the odd one does break the mould, but they are few and far between.
    Just makes me want him to come here for school and will be pushing for that

Entering university in Thailand is... extremely complicated matter.

When I was a high school student in Thailand, university issue was something I had to do, not something my parents had to do. I chose which university to go, and I planned and took the exams that were required. My parents just paid the bills.

But now that I'm a parent, and living in Thailand, I learned that for Thais, the issue of entering any university is not for the kids to handle, but it is for their parents. The parents decide where their children will go, or rather, where they want their kids to go. And then they put their kids through hell to make their dream come true. The kids may or may not want the same thing as their parents, but in most cases I've seen, the kids HATE it. Not because it's something they don't want, but because it's something they are FORCED to do.

Sad... very sad...

PS : I went to Thammasat University. Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    Entering university in Thailand is... extremely complicated matter.

When I was a high school student in Thailand, university issue was something I had to do, not something my parents had to do. I chose which university to go, and I planned and took the exams that were required. My parents just paid the bills.

But now that I'm a parent, and living in Thailand, I learned that for Thais, the issue of entering any university is not for the kids to handle, but it is for their parents. The parents decide where their children will go, or rather, where they want their kids to go. And then they put their kids through hell to make their dream come true. The kids may or may not want the same thing as their parents, but in most cases I've seen, the kids HATE it. Not because it's something they don't want, but because it's something they are FORCED to do.

Sad... very sad...

PS : I went to Thammasat University. Engineering.
    Well gladly that won't be the case with us, I'm a huge believer in guiding your kids but allowing them to make educated choices and although my wife has her preferences I think she has taken my lead in that aspect.

My wife is actually intervening with her best aunt in pushing her to allow our niece to go to whatever school she chooses and to live away and not stay local.

So she would love him to go to a Military University, she knows her son will only do well where he wants to go

Great advice and knowledge from a local.....I appreciate it.

Well gladly that won't be the case with us, I'm a huge believer in guiding your kids but allowing them to make educated choices and although my wife has her preferences I think she has taken my lead in that aspect.

My wife is actually intervening with her best aunt in pushing her to allow our niece to go to whatever school she chooses and to live away and not stay local.

So she would love him to go to a Military University, she knows her son will only do well where he wants to go

Great advice and knowledge from a local.....I appreciate it.
    You're very welcome. I'm not technically a 'local', but it's nice to be called local.

So Marc, if I get it correctly, your stepson has these options :

1. Military School (Army or Police?)
    2. Top University in BKK (CU, TU, KU, etc)
    3. University in Province (Konkaen and Chiang Mai, along with other major provinces all have good universities.)
    4. University abroad (Canada, USA, etc)

Am I correct?

Then based on those 4 options, I'd say the best is option #4.

But other options also have good advantages... and he can always go abroad for master's. Wherever he chooses. He could choose Canada... he could choose New Zealand, which I hope he does because it's a great country. Clean air, friendly people... lousy food though...

Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    You're very welcome. I'm not technically a 'local', but it's nice to be called local.

So Marc, if I get it correctly, your stepson has these options :

1. Military School (Army or Police?)
    2. Top University in BKK (CU, TU, KU, etc)
    3. University in Province (Konkaen and Chiang Mai, along with other major provinces all have good universities.)
    4. University abroad (Canada, USA, etc)

Am I correct?

Then based on those 4 options, I'd say the best is option #4.

But other options also have good advantages... and he can always go abroad for master's. Wherever he chooses. He could choose Canada... he could choose New Zealand, which I hope he does because it's a great country. Clean air, friendly people... lousy food though...
    Yes, he has all those choices
    My wife is talking about a tutoring course in SmautPrakan that prepares him for the military university entrance exams, have you heard of any of those?

And yes, I want it to be #4 and if my wife and I were 100% together that would be what he'd do........although I don't think we'd not pursue it even if divorced. So I hope that is what he does

1st year English school, he's conversational in English but would find class hard
    2 years Associates degree and then matriculate into a 4 year school for last 2 years for bachelor's degree

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast