Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 1 Post By bacwaan
  • 3 Post By bacwaan

Thread: Thai spicy/chillies

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Thai spicy/chillies

So I hear guys often say how many chilis they tell the cook to make it with.

Is that universal for every dish?

Thai food here in Vancouver is actually good but the spiciness is so inconsistent.

Last week at same place I ask for spicy and it blew me away
    This week I decide a little spicy and it the heat is non-existent

So like a stir fry dish, the # of chilis will provide the same spiciness for all the dishes?

Thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I would say depends of what chillies they use to how many are needed. Also we have 3 Birds eye chillie plants. One is a lot hotter than the other.

Most restaurants need to cater for westerners it must be a pain in the ass trying to please everyone with how much chilli they want.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    They will but it will depend on quantity and variety as they vary.
    unscientifically smaller is hotter as far as I know.
    MW can't make it to spicy anymore not blowing my trumpet just so many years of practice.
    though years ago before MW I thought I was ok with chilli we used to make what I thought was hot vindaloo...Rank amateur.

we have same issue here in local restaurants can be very inconsistent on chili except one we go to has the same tray with your chili fish sauce sugar fixed.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    They will but it will depend on quantity and variety as they vary.
    unscientifically smaller is hotter as far as I know.
    Just like ladys
    wabbits and Cuzzy like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    In my experience, spiciness varies with the protein.. Beef or pork absorbs more of the spiciness than fish or seafood.
    Part of the spiciness disappears when frying a dish, so I use less chilies in salads than in stir-fries..

You can tone down spiciness with lemon, sugar or milk..

And chilies get spicier when the get older

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    The seeds inside are the spiciest part.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I have the same issues in Thailand just asking for spicey, medium or not spicey...it seems to come out just how the chef wants to do it anyway...unless they know you and understand how you like your food...this is why I tend to go back to places I like regularly

I pretty much always order by the number of chillies now but this too is no guarantee you will get your food how you want it....however there is much more chance you will get it more to your taste this way
    peteman likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    The other day my usual place was busy on patio

I ordered beef garlic and pepper, they usually do it great there.
    I asked for spicy and when they brought it out all they did was put chili flakes over the top.

I told them I don't want that, I want it cooked with chilis

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    The seeds inside are the spiciest part.
    And then the membrane they are attached to.

I have a birdseye chilli that is still fruiting hard out and we are heading to our two coldest months.

Water deprivation and heat makes them hotter. If the media they are grown in has a high moisture content they seem to lose significant heat.

Environmental factors affect how spicy they are to a lrge degree
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I like to use the large dark red/brown dried chillies in my own cooking...they are nowhere near as hot as the little birdseye buggers but they do give off a nice spice with a sweetish caramelised smokey taste when added together with their smaller family members

I cut them into chunks about the size of a 10 baht coin...they work wonderfully well in wetter stir fries and curries...I rehydrate them again first before adding them in

These guys...
    kaptainrob, OZZYGUY and Cuzzy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I like to use the large dark red/brown dried chillies in my own cooking...they are nowhere near as hot as the little birdseye buggers but they do give off a nice spice with a sweetish caramelised smokey taste when added together with their smaller family members

I cut them into chunks about the size of a 10 baht coin...they work wonderfully well in wetter stir fries and curries...I rehydrate them again first before adding them in

These guys...
    We grow a few chili varieties but the one above ^ is, as Baccy says, great with so many dishes. I make spiced peanuts with them; Jo breaks into soups; stirfry with veggies ... the flavour is quite special. Can be bought in Aus/NZ Asian markets quite readily.

Son on Gold Coast planted same variety and they are so productive we've brought many kilo's back to CNX in fresh and dried form. 100% organic! Whilst green, this variety makes an awesome nam prik or can be pickled... jalapeno-like.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    So I hear guys often say how many chilis they tell the cook to make it with.

Is that universal for every dish?

Thai food here in Vancouver is actually good but the spiciness is so inconsistent.

Last week at same place I ask for spicy and it blew me away
    This week I decide a little spicy and it the heat is non-existent

So like a stir fry dish, the # of chilis will provide the same spiciness for all the dishes?

Thanks
    In my personal experience, telling the cook to put 1 chilly or 2 is for the Som Tum dish only. I've never seen anyone do that with other dish, yet.

Banned
    Thai chilli's are for babies, try something like Bhut jolokia or Carolina Reaper if you what to see what a hot chilli is like.

Here is a video of 2 guys eating one

BTW I have grown and tried the Bhut jolokia, would recommend eating one.

Banned
    and the Carolina Reaper