Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Identity issue : What am I?

Identity issue : What am I?

In Thailand, there are 2 types of people. The locals, and the foreigners. Which one are you?

I must say after 30 years which is 75% of my life, I am still, and always will be a foreigner in Thailand. Which is neither a good thing, nor a bad thing because it doesn't really matter anyway. What difference does it make if my nationality is Thai or Korean? I'm still the same person. Nothing changes except the color of my passport. From green, it becomes redish brown. But that's about all the changes I can think of. Other than that, I am still me.

Being a foreigner is not an easy thing to do, you are always an outsider and you are never home. Even when you're at home, you are not home. It's a lonely thing to be. And you always have to remind yourself of who you are and where you came from because it is easy to forget and mistakenly think that you have become a local, but you can never become local because you weren't born here.

At the airport, there is a sign that says "Foreigners this way, Thais that way". It's that simple. You can't hold Korean passport and stand in Thai line, you'll get scolded and sent back to the Foreigner's line. The walk of shame...

Being a foreigner is practically being away from home. You have a home, but you don't live there. You live somewhere else. That is a sad thing to do. I can never get attached to anything in this country because it is not home. But the large amount of time that I spent in this country makes me impossible to not give a shit. So I try my best to care about what happens in this country and what happens in my home, but everything I do comes out as artificial because it probably is artificial. My heart is made of stone. I don't care for nothing but myself. I called out a lot of people for being selfish but the real selfish asshole is me. The foreigner.

From a local's point of view, a foreigner is equal to an invader. Because if you look at the history of warfare, all invaders were foreigners. Therefore, all foreigners are invaders. So subconsciously the locals can't be friends with foreigners. If there appears to be some kind of friendship between a local and a foreigner, it is all that is. An appearance of friendship but not friendship.

But we all try to get along... share the same road... share the same country.
    Last edited by GGrass; 31st May 2017 at 17:00.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Perhaps you think too much?

Where I was born, where I grew up and where I live now are three different countries. But to all intents and purposes I feel at home.....
    To me 'home' is where I am at the moment, as long as I have friends and family I am content.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Perhaps you think too much?

Where I was born, where I grew up and where I live now are three different countries. But to all intents and purposes I feel at home.....
    To me 'home' is where I am at the moment, as long as I have friends and family I am content.
    I am happy for you man... you are at home.

I'm content at home also. Can't complain about anything really... And I do feel at home most of the time. Perhaps like you said, I'm thinking too much.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Maybe you think too much, don't let it get you down.

I have been back to the Mother country several times and I marvel at the way some people who weren't even born there treat ME.
    My direct ancestors go back hundreds of years there and I also have a big extended family there.
    This doesn't matter a jot to some people like bureaucrats and other jumped up little latecomer Hitlers.

In Australia i'm usually treated fairly and the immigration always says "Welcome home". I do like that.

I will be spending more time in Thailand in the future, and I am confident in the support of my adopted extended family whenever i'm in their company.
    When Mrs and I go through Thai immigration, I go through the Thai National line with her. No longer necessary for me to return the favour in Oz as she just breezes through the smart gate with her Aussie passport now. No hope of ever seeing anything like that for me in Thailand I guess...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

I have been back to the Mother country several times and I marvel at the way some people who weren't even born there treat ME.
    My direct ancestors go back hundreds of years there and I also have a big extended family there.
    This doesn't matter a jot to some people like bureaucrats and other jumped up little latecomer Hitlers.

In Australia i'm usually treated fairly and the immigration always says "Welcome home". I do like that.

I will be spending more time in Thailand in the future, and I am confident in the support of my adopted extended family whenever i'm in their company.
    When Mrs and I go through Thai immigration, I go through the Thai National line with her. No longer necessary for me to return the favour in Oz as she just breezes through the smart gate with her Aussie passport now. No hope of ever seeing anything like that for me in Thailand I guess...555
    But how does Mrs C1 feel in Aust? is it home?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Thinking too mutt is definitely not a Thai trait
    Gazmac and Ian Forbes like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    But how does Mrs C1 feel in Aust? is it home?
    No doubt about it, she is the same as me. After a week or two in the village, she would be climbing the walls as well..555
    Given the good life here, what could drag you back there for more than a few weeks at a time?
    That being said, give about 100 million baht and she will re-consider...555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Thinking too mutt is definitely not a Thai trait
    I dunno.. every TG I meet always seems to be thinking... and when I ask them what's wrong they say... "I think too mutt"
    Cuzzy likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Although I think what GG is getting at is that Thailand doesn't really welcome you as a local much more than most countries

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Although I think what GG is getting at is that Thailand doesn't really welcome you as a local much more than most countries
    A template for Trump?

Is it born out of fear? Or just an insularity?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    A template for Trump?

Is it born out of fear? Or just an insularity?
    I think Thailand's xenophobia goes back centuries, whereas I think Trump just tapped into an ignorance to win votes

By the way, that does not mean Thailand is not a welcoming country because we all know it is very welcoming, to a certain point

I think Thailand's xenophobia goes back centuries, whereas I think Trump just tapped into an ignorance to win votes

By the way, that does not mean Thailand is not a welcoming country because we all know it is very welcoming, to a certain point
    True... NZ is a very welcoming country.... though it's quite difficult to live and work there... or used to be... in fact it's probably easier to live in Thailand.. or at least retire there?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

Xenophobia is the wrong word in my opinion.

Thailand has tried really hard to not be colonized for many centuries, and made huge concessions to their culture in the process.
    Even going as far as eating with western cutlery and wearing bra's 555

In the process the "we will adapt to this point and no further", this is Thailand and "Thailand is for Thai" attitude developed, but the desire not to be enslaved has a completely different origin as western xenophobia..
    jontymate likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    In Thailand, there are 2 types of people. The locals, and the foreigners. Which one are you?

I must say after 30 years which is 75% of my life, I am still, and always will be a foreigner in Thailand.
    that would mean you are now 40 and moved to Thailand when you were ten ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    that would mean you are now 40 and moved to Thailand when you were ten ?
    In my University thread he said he went to school in Thailand so I assumed he moved there about that age, 10yrs or so
    Stillearly likes this.

if you are not going to feel that you are a local after that , then it's never going to happen ...

GGrass have you ever thought about going for Thai Citizenship , or are you still doing visa runs ?

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    they say that is only the second generation of immigrants... the ones who are born into the new country, who ever feel like they truly belong...and even then not all of them...I think this is true of so many countries...not just Thailand

In my 8 years here I feel like I have assimilated to my own version of my life in Thailand...and that is largely one of an expat whose friends are mostly other expats..I do have a few Thai friends whose house I feel I am welcome in anytime...even without a prior call, just a drop-in always seems welcome, as are they always welcome to drop into mine...but these friendships have be made over long periods of time and have been distilled down into just a handful

i imagine making friends back "home" when you are in your 50s/60s wouldn't be so easy now either

sometimes I have this odd feeling where I am not really aware that I am in another country as in some ways where I live (Samui) could easily be mistaken for where I grew up (Beaches of NSW-AUS) but then something always comes crashing down on me which wakes me up...555
    Quarky, PeteGill, Rockitt and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    they say that is only the second generation of immigrants... the ones who are born into the new country, who ever feel like they truly belong...and even then not all of them...I think this is true of so many countries...not just Thailand

In my 8 years here I feel like I have assimilated to my own version of my life in Thailand...and that is largely one of an expat whose friends are mostly other expats..I do have a few Thai friends whose house I feel I am welcome in anytime...even without a prior call, just a drop-in always seems welcome, as are they always welcome to drop into mine...but these friendships have be made over long periods of time and have been distilled down into just a handful

i imagine making friends back "home" when you are in your 50s/60s wouldn't be so easy now either

sometimes I have this odd feeling where I am not really aware that I am in another country as in some ways where I live (Samui) could easily be mistaken for where I grew up (Beaches of NSW-AUS) but then something always comes crashing down on me which wakes me up...555
    Is that not the same all your life though? Making friends takes me years... proper friends I mean, rather than casual friends...
    bacwaan, OZZYGUY, Tingtong and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Is that not the same all your life though? Making friends takes me years... proper friends I mean, rather than casual friends...
    No, I don't believe so
    Very young easy
    Teens crazy easy
    College easy
    20's easy but start getting friends through work
    30's stagnates a bit and after that I find it very hard

Well, not hard because I am friends with people in building I go out with now but it took a concerted effort

No, I don't believe so
    Very young easy
    Teens crazy easy
    College easy
    20's easy but start getting friends through work
    30's stagnates a bit and after that I find it very hard

Well, not hard because I am friends with people in building I go out with now but it took a concerted effort
    the concierge ?
    Quarky, Changone, bacwaan and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast