Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Would you want an "in" with an elite Thai family?

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144

    Would you want an "in" with an elite Thai family?

    Who knows, some may already have one 555

    I was out this week with someone I used to work with. He sort of a ratbag and he went on to do extremely well in Hong Kong
    Anyways he suggested he could hook me up with one of the families behind one of the big banks in Thailand.

    Now, unfortunately, I think he probably knows them pretty well.

    But I was thinking I don't even think I'd want the "in"
    Now if it could help my business I would definitely take it and all that it entails.

    But just for a social "in" I just don't think I'd even want to be involved with those type of people.

    Part of is my wife comes from a poor family and wouldn't be comfortable around them.
    But even if I were married to just a regular western women, I just don't think I'd want to be in that circle.

    One aspect he kept promoting was that everywhere we go, we get taken care of. And I am very much sure they do get taken care of.
    But it's Bangkok and Thailand and I am happy how just myself, a regular nobody, gets taken care of

    I just thought it was an interesting question.

    PS.....even if this guy could hook me up, there would be a way he screws me over, trust me so this isn't a brag I could have an "in". I'd likely get screwed by it somehow 555

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,944
    Hell no. The constant ass sniffing would be a nightmare.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  3. #3
    Cadet Gold GGrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Who knows, some may already have one 555

    I was out this week with someone I used to work with. He sort of a ratbag and he went on to do extremely well in Hong Kong
    Anyways he suggested he could hook me up with one of the families behind one of the big banks in Thailand.

    Now, unfortunately, I think he probably knows them pretty well.

    But I was thinking I don't even think I'd want the "in"
    Now if it could help my business I would definitely take it and all that it entails.

    But just for a social "in" I just don't think I'd even want to be involved with those type of people.

    Part of is my wife comes from a poor family and wouldn't be comfortable around them.
    But even if I were married to just a regular western women, I just don't think I'd want to be in that circle.

    One aspect he kept promoting was that everywhere we go, we get taken care of. And I am very much sure they do get taken care of.
    But it's Bangkok and Thailand and I am happy how just myself, a regular nobody, gets taken care of

    I just thought it was an interesting question.

    PS.....even if this guy could hook me up, there would be a way he screws me over, trust me so this isn't a brag I could have an "in". I'd likely get screwed by it somehow 555
    What do you mean, 'hook you up'? Like, make an appointment for lunch or dinner to talk about business? Or like, you know... 'hook you up' at a motel?

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    What do you mean, 'hook you up'? Like, make an appointment for lunch or dinner to talk about business? Or like, you know... 'hook you up' at a motel?
    Just introduce you to a very influential family.
    It could mean having an "in" socially, which I wouldn't care for because it is a crowd I wouldn't want to be involved with and that I don't think you necessarily need an "in" in Thailand to enjoy yourself. I get treated as well as I want to already as a nobody

    Or it could possibly mean in business terms which I would take that opportunity.(This likely doesn't entails that)

    Basically I can deal with what I think is a bit of "ass kissing" if it helps my existing business or provides another opportunity but I have very little patience to any of that for social reasons

  5. #5
    Cadet Gold GGrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Just introduce you to a very influential family.
    It could mean having an "in" socially, which I wouldn't care for because it is a crowd I wouldn't want to be involved with and that I don't think you necessarily need an "in" in Thailand to enjoy yourself. I get treated as well as I want to already as a nobody

    Or it could possibly mean in business terms which I would take that opportunity.(This likely doesn't entails that)

    Basically I can deal with what I think is a bit of "ass kissing" if it helps my existing business or provides another opportunity but I have very little patience to any of that for social reasons
    I think your HK friend was just trying to show off that he has connection. I wouldn't think too much about it.
    Tingtong likes this.

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    I think your HK friend was just trying to show off that he has connection. I wouldn't think too much about it.
    My friend was CEO of a bank Jack Ma owns
    He has the connections, I don't doubt that at all and unfortunately for me that night.....he was doing plenty of showing off about them 555

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,944
    You'd be selling your soul getting involved with the hi-so dogs. Stay clean and do your own thing. Trust me, getting involved with them to the point where you'd see any benefit out of it is a full time job in itself.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    As I said, I'd have no interest

    The validity of if this guy actually had connections is irrelevant because I wouldn't ​pursue it

    I just thought it was an interesting question to discuss

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    You'd be selling your soul getting involved with the hi-so dogs. Stay clean and do your own thing. Trust me, getting involved with them to the point where you'd see any benefit out of it is a full time job in itself.
    Business wise, if that angle was available, I don't think it would be any sort of hassle at all.

    I do it now to a point, just not at that level.

    But for business purposes, you take the meetings, whether at office or socially and you just see where it goes
    If nothing comes of it, and sometimes that happens in my business now.....it's all opportunity costs
    In business I will bend a bit against my norms for the benefits but will only go so far, moreso than personally and socially.

    Fortunately I like most of my clients
    And ones that have been too much of a hassle I have politely asked to send their business elsewhere
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 19th June 2017 at 14:03.

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,944
    That it is.

    I'm reminded of the thread GGrass started where acceptance by regular Thai society was discussed. I can only imagine what this crowd would be like. It'd make for very interesting reading though, I agree.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Just introduce you to a very influential family.
    It could mean having an "in" socially, which I wouldn't care for because it is a crowd I wouldn't want to be involved with and that I don't think you necessarily need an "in" in Thailand to enjoy yourself. I get treated as well as I want to already as a nobody

    Or it could possibly mean in business terms which I would take that opportunity.(This likely doesn't entails that)

    Basically I can deal with what I think is a bit of "ass kissing" if it helps my existing business or provides another opportunity but I have very little patience to any of that for social reasons
    I could have made heaps more money in my business if I was prepared to "kiss some ass".
    But I'm not a salesman and I'm just straight up and down (that should be evident).
    I was brought up from very poor beginnings by my Mother that no-one, as a person, was "better than me" - socially or otherwise.
    Vive la difference.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Geographicaly, Cali!
    Posts
    3,216
    I mentioned in the Thai wedding thread that my middle son was over in Thailand visiting his rich girlfriends family, they got back a couple of days ago was pretty impressed with the experience...(please note that he has a upper middle class life here in the US)....

    "Dad, the red carpet never ended!" Lol

    I'm actually very glad that he has those connections now. Can't thing of any reason not to be...

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    I mentioned in the Thai wedding thread that my middle son was over in Thailand visiting his rich girlfriends family, they got back a couple of days ago was pretty impressed with the experience...(please note that he has a upper middle class life here in the US)....

    "Dad, the red carpet never ended!" Lol

    I'm actually very glad that he has those connections now. Can't thing of any reason not to be...
    Well I think there is probably a few things different between your son and myself.

    As a young person, you should take any connections you can and see where they lead.

    My wife comes from a poor background in Thailand and would never be comfortable around the truly elite in Thailand. She's comfortable in any 5 star setting, has upper middle class friends now and deals with pretty rich Thais in her own business.
    But socially I just don't think she'd be comfortable.

    And finally, I don't think your son would know as much about Thailand to even notice the possible "elite" actions that may take place that I'd likely pick up on. From just being rude to staff, etc...

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Geographicaly, Cali!
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Well I think there is probably a few things different between your son and myself.

    As a young person, you should take any connections you can and see where they lead.

    My wife comes from a poor background in Thailand and would never be comfortable around the truly elite in Thailand. She's comfortable in any 5 star setting, has upper middle class friends now and deals with pretty rich Thais in her own business.
    But socially I just don't think she'd be comfortable.

    And finally, I don't think your son would know as much about Thailand to even notice the possible "elite" actions that may take place that I'd likely pick up on. From just being rude to staff, etc...
    The last sentence is probably spot on, but he has been raised to understand between elitess and well off "attitudes" (if that makes sense) he said that the family was welcoming and very caring. The grandfather actually gave him a very intricate jade and diamond ring for my mom.

    Fecker didn't give me anything!! 55
    GGrass likes this.

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,561
    Don't you find with the Hi So people especially in Asia look down on the uneducated or poor people?

    Its all good saying you or your wife can mix with them or do some business but behind your back they look down at you or especially your wife. .I don't mean to disrespect you or your wife just what I have seen.

    Just from what I have seen but mainly with Chinese.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ban Pao
    Posts
    2,286
    Wouldn't intetest me socially.

    Can't stand hi-so people in my own culture let alone one I wasn't born into.

    Some of them are ok... it just wouldn't be a comfortable situation.
    Tingtong likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Geographicaly, Cali!
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Don't you find with the Hi So people especially in Asia look down on the uneducated or poor people?

    Its all good saying you or your wife can mix with them or do some business but behind your back they look down at you or especially your wife. .I don't mean to disrespect you or your wife just what I have seen.

    Just from what I have seen but mainly with Chinese.

    Maybe that's why my boy was so accepted? I'm sure his girl threw around the fact that he was a aero-space engineer prior to them coming over. Heck..I have an in idea that's why they are allowed to be together in the first place,,,don't know.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Maybe that's why my boy was so accepted? I'm sure his girl threw around the fact that he was a aero-space engineer prior to them coming over. Heck..I have an in idea that's why they are allowed to be together in the first place,,,don't know.
    Yeah but if he didn't have a good job they may not have accepted him. The wife may have been ok with it but the MIL surely would have but up a fight.


    But then you get us lot, happy to marry some young sexy girl with no job or education........We are just a excepting bunch I guess. 55
    slampay and GGrass like this.

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Geographicaly, Cali!
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Yeah but if he didn't have a good job they may not have accepted him. The wife may have been ok with it but the MIL surely would have but up a fight.


    But then you get us lot, happy to marry some young sexy girl with no job or education........We are just a excepting bunch I guess. 55
    Dudes making 6 figures, 24 years old and getting his masters in some bio-engineer thing. He has a good heart and is the Dopple ganger of the USA basketball star Stephen Curry. Stupid lucky. Lol
    OZZYGUY and Cuzzy like this.

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Don't you find with the Hi So people especially in Asia look down on the uneducated or poor people?

    Its all good saying you or your wife can mix with them or do some business but behind your back they look down at you or especially your wife. .I don't mean to disrespect you or your wife just what I have seen.

    Just from what I have seen but mainly with Chinese.
    That is sort of exactly what I have been saying, isn't it?
    That's the jist behind the whole post
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 19th June 2017 at 15:27.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •