Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Tingtong
  • 3 Post By Changone
  • 3 Post By Bacon

Thread: Buses to Patong? Don't do it!

Platinum

Buses to Patong? Don't do it!

Yesterday at 6pm
    Held up in traffic on the Thepkassatri Rd/Bypass Rd intersection with a bus broken down in the middle lane trying to turn right into Bypass. Police there but nothing happening except hold up getting worse.
    4km on, the Patong side of Patong Hill, a bus load of Chinese tourists standing in the driveway of the development on the left that the bus has run back into after either failing to get up the hill by Wyndham resort or his brake's failed coming down and he had the sense to pull off.
    1.5km on, the bus that killed a motorcyclist on Saturday and injured 26 tourists parked, damaged just before the Police Station.

I haven't a clue how many bus crashes, fatalities or injuries there have been on or around Patong, but over 20 years, when we have been here there has been at least one crash a week. What a way to have your holiday ruined even if you aren't injured.

Perhaps it is time something is done?
    But by who?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ a tunnel through the patong hill was mooted long ago. money set aside for a feasibility study has probably been pi55ed up against a wall long ago 55
    that'll only fix that particular problem not the rest of the country though.

Phuket?s B6bn Patong tunnel may start next year, says project chief
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 3rd July 2017 at 17:54.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I wonder how long it will be until travel Insurance Company's make you pay extra if you will be traveling in Buses in LOS , Like you need if you plan to ride a motor bike there. 555
    Moo Uaon and TLandHim like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    That Patong hill is an absolute death trap.
    I've always wondered who the engineers who built it were, they're probably long gone, however they should be dug up, shot at dawn for six months and then buried again.

Putting busloads of people on it in vehicles with dodgy brakes and dodgier drivers is inviting tragedy.
    At least the individual motorbike risk spreads the load for insurance companies to deal with...
    Quarky, 1080 and Tingtong like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Do you have any idea how many people are killed by beach chairs and umbrellas and run over by vendor carts each year?

Patience. The authorities are tackling the bigger issues first. These busses can wait.
    Quarky, Nomad and TLandHim like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    That Patong hill is an absolute death trap.
    I've always wondered who the engineers who built it were, they're probably long gone, however they should be dug up, shot at dawn for six months and then buried again.
    Very funny Nick. Though your 2nd para hits the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Putting busloads of people on it in vehicles with dodgy brakes and dodgier drivers is inviting tragedy.
    At least the individual motorbike risk spreads the load for insurance companies to deal with...
    Don't blame road engineers who actually did a fine job.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Yesterday at 6pm
    Held up in traffic on the Thepkassatri Rd/Bypass Rd intersection with a bus broken down in the middle lane trying to turn right into Bypass. Police there but nothing happening except hold up getting worse.
    4km on, the Patong side of Patong Hill, a bus load of Chinese tourists standing in the driveway of the development on the left that the bus has run back into after either failing to get up the hill by Wyndham resort or his brake's failed coming down and he had the sense to pull off.
    1.5km on, the bus that killed a motorcyclist on Saturday and injured 26 tourists parked, damaged just before the Police Station.

I haven't a clue how many bus crashes, fatalities or injuries there have been on or around Patong, but over 20 years, when we have been here there has been at least one crash a week. What a way to have your holiday ruined even if you aren't injured.

Perhaps it is time something is done?
    But by who?
    Bus kills are horrible. Mass deaths. Always shocking. Even though it's a recurring theme, it never fails to scare me.

There was a time when I took the บขส buses often. Go down south, or go way north. My first job as an engineer, fresh out of college. Required me to travel within the country. Sometimes trains, rarely planes, but often buses.

Miracle I am still alive today.