Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thai passport renewal

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Thai passport renewal

I just noticed Ao's passport expires in January and we want her to come next month for a few weeks

I know they usually won't grant a visa with PP under 6 months valid

Now, will she be able to renew her Thai passport even though there is 5 months left on it?

thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Of course, a passport does not need to be expired to renew it.

Even spilling a cup of coffee on it is good enough reason, but also when all visa pages are full or an extreme change of hairdo..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    In the UK they would just add the five months onto the new passport , not sure if they do they elsewhere , can't see why not ..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Thanks guys I think I read you can renew with under 6 months left on passport

Banned
    You can't renew or extend a Thai Passport.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vixi View Post
    What! Please explain.

EDIT: From MFA.go.th website.

Why is it required for travelers to hold Passports that will be valid for longer than 6 months before traveling abroad?
    - It is the norm of many countries to require travelers to hold Passports that will be valid for longer than 6 months before leaving the country. If a Passport will expire in less than 6 months, the traveler must apply for a new e-Passport. Before traveling, travelers must check with the embassy or consulate-general of the country/countries in which they wish to travel to find out their requirements.
    Should you have further questions, please contact the Department of Consular Affairs located at 123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 or alternatively, you can reach us at Tel: 0-2981-7171 or 0-2981-7276-7 Fax: 0-2981-7256 or by e-mail at consular05@mfa.go.th

Easily done at her local Administrative Office.
    Last edited by Zablive; 21st July 2017 at 12:00.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    What! Please explain. EDIT: From MFA.go.th website. Why is it required for travelers to hold Passports that will be valid for longer than 6 months before traveling abroad? - It is the norm of many countries to require travelers to hold Passports that will be valid for longer than 6 months before leaving the country. If a Passport will expire in less than 6 months, the traveler must apply for a new e-Passport. Before traveling, travelers must check with the embassy or consulate-general of the country/countries in which they wish to travel to find out their requirements. Should you have further questions, please contact the Department of Consular Affairs located at 123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 or alternatively, you can reach us at Tel: 0-2981-7171 or 0-2981-7276-7 Fax: 0-2981-7256 or by e-mail at consular05@mfa.go.th Easily done at her local Administrative Office.
    Maybe read your own quote, as it answers the question you asked..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Maybe read your own quote, as it answers the question you asked..

Bit of an obtuse answer , so you can apply for the new e-passport , it's still a passport ....

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Bit of an obtuse answer , so you can apply for the new e-passport , it's still a passport ....
    Sounds like a 7? It's all about grammar, innit.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    How was the answer obtuse? I dont understand what you mean. My first post was very succinct in answering the question. The poster after that asked for an explanation while at the same time answering their request to explain in the quote they took from the website. I dont understand how I can put it any more straightforward then that you cant renew or extend a Thai passport.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Sounds like a 7? It's all about grammar, innit.
    Whats with the post here being incoherent? I join the forum and straight away get these peculiar responses from posters.

How was the answer obtuse? I don’t understand what you mean. My first post was very succinct in answering the question. The poster after that asked for an explanation while at the same time answering their request to explain in the quote they took from the website. I don’t understand how I can put it any more straightforward then that you can’t renew or extend a Thai passport.
    So you want to indulge in a definition war of "renew"? 555!

I go with "make new". Merriam & Webster.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    A passport with 6 months or less on it is generally treated as an expired document. It should be ok, or in case of damage or loss. Maybe vixi was talking about anything not meeting these conditions, not sure.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Think he is saying you can't extend or re-new your current passport... only apply for a new one?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Think he is saying you can't extend or re-new your current passport... only apply for a new one?
    yes...in a "Veteran Thai Visa Member" kinda way...555
    Zablive, Stillearly and Cashpoint like this.

Banned
    So you want to indulge in a definition war of "renew"? 555!

I go with "make new". Merriam & Webster.
    Oh OK, I understand what people are confused about. I assumed people knew the difference, but by providing a dictionary definition of renew, clearly thats not the case.

Take the UK as an example; you can renew a UK passport, when you renew your passport, time left on your existing passport is added to your new one. Also the forms required are different from a new passport (as in first time you apply for a passport), basically less information needs to be supplied and verified.

I believe similar passport renewals apply to the US and many other countries, but the conditions may vary of course.

Here are some links to show this.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport and https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/overview

Thailand doesnt allow renewals of passports, when you need a new passport due to it expiring, its a new application, it the same process and application as new passport, same forms are used etc. The expiry date is 5 years from the grant date etc.

Quote and link from the same site you quoted earlier, which is why I said you should read you own quote.

Validity for e-Passports
    To maintain the quality and usability of e-Passports, the ordinary e-Passports are valid for 5 years.
    No extension of validity will be granted and a new e-Passport will be issued when the current one expires.
    Amendments to e-Passport bearers information are not allowed (i.e. changes to the bearers name or surname) as corrections will create problems because they will clash with the information already captured in the embedded microchip. Therefore, any amendments must first be reported to the Ministry of Interior before the bearer can apply for a new e-Passport.

Thai Passport : Electronic Passport - Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Did my first post give it away

At least my post did give information to the OP on renewing a Thai passport.

When you carry out the UK process (not relevant to the Thread but I'm interested) does your "renewed" passport have a new number.?
    In OZ it is a new number and 10 years from the date of application.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    What’s with the post here being incoherent? I join the forum and straight away get these peculiar responses from posters.
    How did you come up with your board-name?
    Vixi being short for 6/11?

Banned
    At least my post did give information to the OP on renewing a Thai passport.
    The passport office isn't always at the local Administrative Office, only a small number are, best to refer here to find a list of locations.

สถานที่ให้บริการ นังสื*เดินทาง - กรมการกงสุล กระทรวงการต่างปร เทศ

As to UK passports you get a new number.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast