Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Taking a Buddha statue out of Thailand

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,643

    Taking a Buddha statue out of Thailand

    I know I heard this before but can you not take a Buddha statue out of Thailand, for real?

    I'm in a catch 22 here.
    I want a nice Buddha head statue, but everyone I find Ao says it's not Thai.
    Then I ask Ao to bring me one at the end of the month and she says she afraid about police.


    So what's the deal?

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,861
    We brought one in CM last year and brought it back, never knew it would be a issue and wasn't.

    What's the difference between a real one?

    Maybe its just a Thai thing.

  3. #3
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,552
    Any icon over 125mm should have an export certificate or it can be seized by Customs.

    AFAIK, reputable vendors can apply for an export certificate for icons or artworks (under 5 years old) on your behalf.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Any icon over 125mm should have an export certificate or it can be seized by Customs.

    AFAIK, reputable vendors can apply for an export certificate for icons or artworks (under 5 years old) on your behalf.
    125mm is small(I had to look that up555)

    I told her to talk to the vendor just before and see what they say
    So basically what you just suggested

  5. #5
    Cadet Gold GGrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    332
    Buddha head or Buddha image is not for decoration. It is for worship, or for ceremonial purpose.

    --

    If I was a Thai Buddhist, I would not sell Buddha heads or Buddha images to anyone who is not a Buddhist. And that's how it should be, but that's not how it always is. You can buy Buddha souvenirs at any tourist market.

    --

    M26, if you want it for decoration, why don't you try China? Buy it on-line or something like that. I'm sure they have nice Buddha head for sale.
    Changone likes this.

  6. #6
    Cadet Gold GGrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    332
    Thai people will freak out if they saw you put the Buddha amulet in the pocket of your pants.
    Changone likes this.

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    Buddha head or Buddha image is not for decoration. It is for worship, or for ceremonial purpose.

    --

    If I was a Thai Buddhist, I would not sell Buddha heads or Buddha images to anyone who is not a Buddhist. And that's how it should be, but that's not how it always is. You can buy Buddha souvenirs at any tourist market.

    --

    M26, if you want it for decoration, why don't you try China? Buy it on-line or something like that. I'm sure they have nice Buddha head for sale.
    I actually look at it as an ode to my wife's culture
    I have other Buddha "decorations" in my house that my wife and I bought and brought over

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10,362
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    Buddha head or Buddha image is not for decoration. It is for worship, or for ceremonial purpose.

    --

    If I was a Thai Buddhist, I would not sell Buddha heads or Buddha images to anyone who is not a Buddhist. And that's how it should be, but that's not how it always is. You can buy Buddha souvenirs at any tourist market.

    --

    M26, if you want it for decoration, why don't you try China? Buy it on-line or something like that. I'm sure they have nice Buddha head for sale.
    Yet every Temple sells amulets and statues to tourists..

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,410
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I actually look at it as an ode to my wife's culture
    I have other Buddha "decorations" in my house that my wife and I bought and brought over
    an ode is a poem
    Changone likes this.

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,672
    Plenty of places outside Thailand sell Buddha statues. I'm getting a big water fountain one. No need to bother with it over there. Just find them at home, it wouldn't be that expensive.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  11. #11
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,198
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Yet every Temple sells amulets and statues to tourists..
    As does pretty much every night market, walking street and curio shop. I have bought a few over the years to take back home and have never had any problems.

  12. #12
    Cadet Gold GGrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    332
    The Singaporeans buy old Buddha amulets from Thailand, worth millions of Baht, and they grind it up, put it in food and eat it. No law in Singapore prevents such thing from happening.

    So if Thailand doesn't want their valuable Buddha amulets get eaten up by super rich Singaporean Chinese for their improved sex life, then they better follow their own law and not sell these items to foreigners.

    --

    But then again, Thailand is such an individualistic nation. Those who follow, will follow even if it is not enforced. But those who don't follow, will never follow. And those who follow look at those who don't follow and say, "Fuck 'em. They're going to hell, not me."

  13. #13
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,198
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    The Singaporeans buy old Buddha amulets from Thailand, worth millions of Baht, and they grind it up, put it in food and eat it. No law in Singapore prevents such thing from happening.
    Rather amulets than Rhino horn taken from poached animals......
    Tingtong, Cuzzy and GGrass like this.

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,672
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Rather amulets than Rhino horn taken from poached animals......
    Don't forget the tiger and panda dicks. Which incidentally might explain why they're not reproducing fast enough.
    Cuzzy likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  15. #15
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    As does pretty much every night market, walking street and curio shop. I have bought a few over the years to take back home and have never had any problems.
    ^That is pretty much how it goes, until someone high up is "Offended" by something you do with it like the Buddha headphones people with their bar.
    I generally stay away from all that as a mark of respect to all those who consider the image sacred.
    Still cringe when I see people back home with concrete Buddha statues in their back yards usually low set next to an outhouse or something.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

  16. #16
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    ^That is pretty much how it goes, until someone high up is "Offended" by something you do with it like the Buddha headphones people with their bar.
    I generally stay away from all that as a mark of respect to all those who consider the image sacred.
    Still cringe when I see people back home with concrete Buddha statues in their back yards usually low set next to an outhouse or something.
    Except the bar was not in LOS.....
    I have a piece of stale bread that looks a bit Like Jesus though, was going to throw it out but don't want to offend anybody 555

  17. #17
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    Doesn't really matter where the bar was if it's a place where 98% of the population are Buddhist.
    You need to put that crust on facebook, your joint will become a shrine and you can start charging admission....
    PeteGill likes this.

  18. #18
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,978
    must say that I won't have any icons or representations of any religion in my house...I don't "believe" and I won't have it just as art...TBH it kinda spooks me a bit

    A few time here I have been asked by clients (farangs) to help them choose Buddha Statues and relating art...and I tell them if that's what they want for their homes they need to choose that themselves...its too personal

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    an ode is a poem
    I can write a Haiku about it!!
    Cuzzy likes this.

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    must say that I won't have any icons or representations of any religion in my house...I don't "believe" and I won't have it just as art...TBH it kinda spooks me a bit

    A few time here I have been asked by clients (farangs) to help them choose Buddha Statues and relating art...and I tell them if that's what they want for their homes they need to choose that themselves...its too personal
    We have a few Buddha images in my house
    Actually Ao wants a full body statue, not just the head

    But you bring up a good point, why is the Buddha used so much as decoration vs say Christian or Hindu symbols?
    Maybe because it is so neutral?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •