Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Bangkok NYE

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Bangkok NYE

Hey
    I don't think I've ever been in BKK on NYE, I've been to Patong and the village before

How is BKK for NYE? Do bars have private parties or can you rock up to most places?
    We will probably have a nice dinner with family and I'm not looking to go nuts but would like to be able to head to a bar after (staying on Soi 11)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I thought you were going to an Island or Vietnam for NYE ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I thought you were going to an Island or Vietnam for NYE ?
    No will be in BKK Dec29-Jan1
    Big purpose of short trip is see the family mostly

Then made the decision to fly to Danang Jan1
    Doing 3 days Hoi An and 2 days Danang then Hong Kong for 3 days

I was in Bangkok for New year a couple of years ago... could get in most/all places in Soi Cowboy ok... was quite a relaxed atmosphere...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    If you want to go to the sky bars or other upmarket clubs and restaurants..or places with a view of the river the most likely scenario is that many will have set dinners/private entry by prepaid ticket/membership on NYE...this seems to be a growing trend in BKK lately as the groovier young Thais embrace all things western and modern and the younger working/living here farang population of BKK grows

for me it would be the last night of the year I'd want to go out in BKK (way too busy) however if you can get good views of the river and fireworks it may well be worth a night out..especially if you can stay in a hotel that offers this or a close walk nearby...but expect to pay the price for this....for as well you know BKK is truly a "world" city now...with all that entails

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Not on topic, but is it dark yet in Vancouver?

Never saw a solar eclipse, but heard some stories from the one in Thailand.. But then Thai are easily spooked..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Not on topic, but is it dark yet in Vancouver?

Never saw a solar eclipse, but heard some stories from the one in Thailand.. But then Thai are easily spooked..
    it's getting there......unfortunately I have a situation on desk so I can't leave
    I see it getting dark but can't see the actual eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    If you want to go to the sky bars or other upmarket clubs and restaurants..or places with a view of the river the most likely scenario is that many will have set dinners/private entry by prepaid ticket/membership on NYE...this seems to be a growing trend in BKK lately as the groovier young Thais embrace all things western and modern and the younger working/living here farang population of BKK grows

for me it would be the last night of the year I'd want to go out in BKK (way too busy) however if you can get good views of the river and fireworks it may well be worth a night out..especially if you can stay in a hotel that offers this or a close walk nearby...but expect to pay the price for this....for as well you know BKK is truly a "world" city now...with all that entails
    Actually, thanks for this post
    I didn't even know there were fire works on the river so maybe I will book a river hotel instead of Soi 11

And if we have dinner in SamutPrakan it will make it easier for us to get back to our hotel if on river

I actually wasn't looking to do anything big.......I'm not a big NYE guy
    I was just thinking a regular bar like Aussie pub on Soi 11 but if I get a hotel on river, I think that would be cool

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I was just thinking a regular bar like Aussie pub on Soi 11 but if I get a hotel on river, I think that would be cool
    Don't you normally stay at the Ibis Riverside ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Don't you normally stay at the Ibis Riverside ?
    Yes, the only thing is the room is so basic...........looking now though maybe I will book it for just NYE and stay in Soi 11 for the 2 days prior

You want a western style NYE or Thai style?
    For Thai, I would recommend a road in Phra Padeng called Sri Kuankan.. Thai youth hang out by the river, with several enclosed restaurants, but also a large area with open market type restaurants.. All by the river..

You want a western style NYE or Thai style?
    For Thai, I would recommend a road in Phra Padeng called Sri Kuankan.. Thai youth hang out by the river, with several enclosed restaurants, but also a large area with open market type restaurants.. All by the river..
    I don't know what area that is(it may be in SamutPrakan where Ao is from?), but looking it said it may also be in Thonburi

We hung out at this hotel's rooftop and their is another hotel we can book right across from Wat Arun which would be amazing for fireworks

https://www.booking.com/hotel/th/baa...s=1&#hotelTmpl

But if the kids are around Ibis might be better so they can go in the pool, and I was reading that you could see the fireworks from Saphan Taskin bridge which Ibis is right below the bridge

I don't know what area that is(it may be in SamutPrakan where Ao is from?), but looking it said it may also be in Thonburi

We hung out at this hotel's rooftop and their is another hotel we can book right across from Wat Arun which would be amazing for fireworks

https://www.booking.com/hotel/th/baa...s=1&#hotelTmpl

But if the kids are around Ibis might be better so they can go in the pool, and I was reading that you could see the fireworks from Saphan Taskin bridge which Ibis is right below the bridge
    It's on the isthmus of the Green island pra Padeng, right under the Bhumibol 2 (the south one) bridge..
    Far from the old city center and Thaksin bridge..

When with my children I stayed at Riverfront residence on Rama 3 road, only a few hundred meters from that restaurant area, but difficult to get there with the river and motorway-like bridge..

It's on the isthmus of the Green island pra Padeng, right under the Bhumibol 2 (the south one) bridge..
    Far from the old city center and Thaksin bridge..

When with my children I stayed at Riverfront residence on Rama 3 road, only a few hundred meters from that restaurant area, but difficult to get there with the river and motorway-like bridge..
    Where that hotel I linked is a very good Thai area
    Sort of like a maze with all these small shops and then Thai type riverside restaurants and rooftops

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I haven't been up there on NYE for a few years now but the 2 that I spent watching the fireworks I stayed down along the riverfront...the best of the shows then was over Wat Arun (but there is now one over Central World as well)....for the Wat Arun show anywhere from the Thaksin Bridge up to almost the King's Palace Wharf (on that same side) should get great views...around about where The Asiatique is now would be great...the right room at the Ibis Riversdie should work (and probably be less expenseive)..and I imagine one of the better river cruises would be prety good as well

I haven't been up there on NYE for a few years now but the 2 that I spent watching the fireworks I stayed down along the riverfront...the best of the shows then was over Wat Arun (but there is now one over Central World as well)....for the Wat Arun show anywhere from the Thaksin Bridge up to almost the King's Palace Wharf (on that same side) should get great views...around about where The Asiatique is now would be great...the right room at the Ibis Riversdie should work (and probably be less expenseive)..and I imagine one of the better river cruises would be prety good as well
    Well, I would want to just hang out in the pool area of Ibis

If the kids aren't going to be around I will book that Arun Hotel, smack dab in the middle
    But if the kids are around(they sometimes go to Issan to their mom's village) then will do the Ibis for pool

I think we'd see enough for the kids to be happy

Again, thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't even thinking of it

My BIL's get shy going into hotels, so I can't book anything too fancy or they won't be comfortable
    They have been to Ibis with us before
    bacwaan likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Then made the decision to fly to Danang Jan1
    Better book a pm flight if going out for new year in Bangers.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Better book a pm flight if going out for new year in Bangers.
    I've never been a big fan of partying on NYE

Even when younger.

I actually like going out early on NYE because it's not crazy yet but everyone is still in a good mood.
    So usually just like to have a nice dinner early....some drinks and back in the house by 10pm or so

If we do as planned I will be with my wife's family and all the little kids.....so will be a pretty quiet night

Even if most of the family heads away.... we'd probably just do dinner with my MIL and stepson and at most, Ao and I go out for a bit

I booked 3 rooms at the Ibis if everyone is around.

My SIL and husband and their kids usually are
    Plus my MIL and stepson so that's already 2 rooms so actually may need another room

I can cancel up to a week before so better to book it now

And IBIS is quite reasonably priced in the restaurant so we could probably have a nice dinner there or I'd imagine they'd do a buffet at decent price so wouldn't even have to leave the hotel if we didn't want to

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast